GP 100 Grips

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Altamont upgrade grips, Chigs panel, One Big Hole rear sight.
IMG_20170419_145254.jpg

StevethePirate

Bearcat
I just got a shipping notification on my compact rubber grips from Altamont. Turnaround time was about 2 weeks. They did come forward and say that there's usually a lead time for these as they don't keep this particular grip in stock. We'll see how it feels on my Wiley Clapp. I definitely found the rubber grips that came with it to be slightly on the awkward side of large.

I've always felt the rubber grips on a concealment firearm was uncomfortable and caught in the clothing. I would also like to find a smaller wood grip for the GP100-44spl about halfway between the Badger and stock..

GypsmJim

Single-Sixer
I prefer the feel and appearance of wood, but I will use rubber on large caliber hunting revolvers. I simply hate the 2-tone rubber/wood varieties.

Last year I picked up a nice set of walnut grips and they are quite comfortable. I perceived an improvement in scores. Sorry, I can't remember the vendor, but I believe it was Thailand.

Not a fan of Thailand, but I took a chance and it worked out well.

1675197887400.jpeg

Have the Hogue finger groove for really hot .357's, but most of the time I have the factory compact grips on this 4". The gun came with the wood insert full size, like all three grips for different reasons.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    284.5 KB · Views: 46
Nice looking grips! Are these Altamont grips thinner than the comparable Ruger grips?
Thanks. I think they may be a hair thinner, but I never really noticed. They do a good job with any round I put through it. I was happy with the Ruger rubber grips but thought the Chigs panels deserved a little something extra. I never had any desire to fill my hand more with Hogues.

Ron IL

Bearcat
Mine came with the Hogue rubber grips with the finger grooves. They fit my hand perfect. I ordered some rubber with wood inserts and tried them. They look much better but I shoot better with the rubber grips. So they stayed on it.

How do you like that rear sight? Does it work well enough to get decent groups at 50 yards? My eyes these days get tired really quick with open sights.

I have not much experience with the the big hole sight yet. I bought it to use as a 25 yd. Doe pistol. Haven't had the right target appear yet.

Last edited:

jimd441

Blackhawk
Mine came with the finger groove Hogue grips which are too large for my somewhat small hands. I replaced them with the old style Ruger smooth rubber with rosewood inserts grips. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and I find the Hogue grips to be ugly and really like the looks of the old style grips, a win-win for me.

Jim

I really like that idea. I may have to get a set for my Redhawk.
Thank you for posting pictures.
Is it easy to install or are there springs that are going to go flying never to be seen again?
I believe they fit all Blackhawks, Redhawks and GP100s. They're a little tricky to get in, but if I did it, anyone can. I think the spring is captive, if I recall right.
Here's a link.

dannyd

Buckeye
I think I have purchased every set of after market sights for a GP100 in the last 34 years and the new red dots in I my opinion are the best sights especially for long distance work. After I turned 60 started Struggling with my eyes a young man let me try his red dot it was like being 35 again. :)

Latest posts