GP-100 FP Erosion from Primer Leak

Help Support Ruger Forum:

G. Freeman

Bearcat
Hello Folks,

Just requesting your input. I have a 12 yr old GP-100 that has seen ~1k rounds. On my last couple of outings I noticed that the primer hits were colored black. Didn't know what this meant initially until I realized that the primers I used for my reloads (Magtech), were too soft and was being pierced and leaking.

The load was a very tame recipe of 125 gr JHP behind 11.5 grs of Blue Dot.

I purchased a shipping label from Ruger and sent it in. In my letter, I requested that the FP be replaced.

It returned after a week. The gun came back with the packing slip stating it received a "smoothing" of the action and refinishing. I could tell they installed an end-shake bearing as well, because all of the endshake is gone. However, the FP was never replaced.

The gun looks beautiful but the original requested work was not done.

Is this FP issue of a concern? Would you try to send this back again?

From my previous experiences with warranty (any company), sometimes sending a gun back could be risky and anything could happen (dings, gouges, etc.).

Requesting your input to this issue.

Thanks in advance!

I wont downplay a concern that somewhat has about their own gun, but if I was buying this gun, and inspected it thoroughly, I would find no issue with your firing pin.

This caused me to photograph my own unfired GP100 . You'd never know how new it was judging by the condition it left the factory, but, although the firing pin tip is not as flat as yours, it still is not round.

I also discovered, with the naked eye, mine looks perfect. It's only by macro photography that I could see even the slight imperfection it has.

jn 41

Single-Sixer
I am not certain. But if my memory is correct. About 10-15 years ago when Alliant upgraded\made it cleaner burning BLUEDOT, Alliant put out a notice to not use BLUEDOT with 125gr 357 mag loads. And with no bullet weight in the 41mag. The new BLUEDOT gave excessive pressures on those 2 situations. Anyone else remember that? jn

Carry_Up

Single-Sixer
There is no firing pin 'erosion' in your photos. The tiny flat on the tip of the firing pin does not indicate a problem, as the factory confirmed. The circular line around the firing pin is what you expect after firing lots of .357 mag. but also might be the circular mark from a lathe parting tool. Please post a couple of photos of your fired brass.

Carry_Up