GP-100 cylinder rotation question

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Tslepebull

Single-Sixer
Joined
Mar 22, 2009
Messages
154
Location
East Texas
I recenty purchased a used GP-100 in stainless. From what I can tell it was purchased and put away and not shot very much. The double action stroke seems to have a "flat spot" in it. When I trigger stroke the action slowly I can see and feel the cylinder bolt drop but then it seems like a good deal of the trigger motion (free play) must occur before the pawl engages the cylinder and it begins to turn. When the cylinder does begin to turn everything progresses well (although quickly), the cylinder bolt engages, cylinder locks in place, and then the hammer drops. Lockup is very good with minimal rotational play and no apparent endplay.

On my Security Six and all other revolvers I have the pawl seems to engage earlier in the trigger stroke and progresses more evenly, without the rapid cylinder turn at the end. Is this just an idiosyncrasy of the GP-100? To answer any other questions, yes I have taken it apart and cleaned all the internals; I could not see any evidence of part smoothing or kitchen table gunsmithing.
 

GP100man

Buckeye
Joined
Sep 13, 2006
Messages
1,386
Location
Tabor City, NC.
T

The GPs design lends itself to "dropin" parts the pawl being 1 .

Now not to say out of the box parts don`t need fittin but most of the time smoothin the part will get ya runnin again.
 

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
Joined
Feb 22, 2007
Messages
10,227
Location
So. Florida
Your question got me to unload my GP and check the trigger pull/cylinder rotation, just for curiosity's sake. What I found was the first aprox 10% of trigger pull gets the cylinder unlocked and after a brief pause the cylinder starts to turn. The other 90% of trigger pull turns the cylinder smoothly until lock-up and hammer drop. Not scientific I know but just my impression. I think maybe someone should look at your gun's timing. :D

...Jimbo
 

Latest posts

Top