GP-100 crane/cylinder disassembly

Help Support Ruger Forum:

My Toy

Bearcat
I just added another GP-100 to my collection; it is a used gun and like all used guns I completely disassemble check out and clean. I've disassembled many GP-100 crane/cylinder assemblies using the Brownell's Ruger crane disassembly tool with no trouble separating the cylinder from the crane. Usually it just slides off over the two ball detents. On this one I can't pull the crane barrel out of the cylinder. It is a series 176. I disassembled a series 175 a couple of weeks ago with no problems. Has anything changed between the series 175 and 176 as far as getting the crane out of the cylinder. I don't want to apply to much force in pulling the parts apart.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

I don't think there were any major changes to the crane assembly over the years. It could just be all gunked up. I've had a few like this and it took some oompf to get it apart but once apart and cleaned it was fine.

My Toy

Bearcat
RoninPA said:
I don't think there were any major changes to the crane assembly over the years. It could just be all gunked up. I've had a few like this and it took some oompf to get it apart but once apart and cleaned it was fine.

Yes, I don't think there have been any changes either; I just didn't want to force it. When you remove the ejector rod it doesn't look like there is anything else keeping those two spherical detents held in to their recess in the cylinder. I'll just carefully try a little more muscle. Thanks.

My Toy

Bearcat
RoninPA said:

I finally got around to working on it. I tried something that I have used in the past to get stuck parts unstuck; especially disassembling the cylinders on S&W revolvers when it is difficult to get the ejector rod to unscrew from the extractor. I used a heat gun to heat the parts and it softens any gunk that has hardened and become almost glue-like. It worked like a charm; the crane easily separated from the cylinder.

Latest posts