GP 100 Blued or Stainless???

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Hyp-storian

Bearcat
Hi Folks,

I ordered a new GP 141 (blued 4") almost a month ago and the store promised me delivery "within two weeks". When I called again today they told me that a shipment just arrived, but they were all stainless models and that they'd give me one of those for the exact same price as I paid for the blued.
I happen to think the blued model looks much better- and it's only for home defense and the range, no holster wear to worry about. So my question to you all is this: aside from the fact that the stainless is a bit easier to maintain than the blued, is there any other reason for choosing the blued, or is it simply a matter of personal preference?
I know the stainless costs about $50 more and thought that the store owner made a nice gesture, but I really can't decide what to do.
Thanks in advance for your advice!

B.Roberts

Single-Sixer
My blued guns tend to, more consistantly, shoot lead well without leading. Don't know why. I also think blued guns look better, however, I am a big fan of stainless on my hunting guns.

Knuckles

Buckeye
They're giving away profit... for your inconvenience.

Good way to keep the customer satisfied... I'd take it.

Terry T

Buckeye
Some folks think the bued version doesn't stand out or 'shine' in the dark as much as the stainless in a home defense situation.
I like the stainless for the ease of care. I have both blued and stainless GPs.
Terry T

56-210

Bearcat
Hyp-storian":39kcott8 said:
I know the stainless costs about $50 more and thought that the store owner made a nice gesture, but I really can't decide what to do.
Thanks in advance for your advice!

That's a nice discount...One I don't think I could pass up...I have the same model and was insistent on the SS...I would like a blued version (6) one day...

I gotta stay outta the gun shops...

revhigh

Hawkeye
Stainless is FAR better IMO. If the Ruger blue was like the old S&W blue or Colt blue, I'd say OK, blue is nice, but the Ruger 'blue' is really black, not really that nice at all, and stainless is timeless, repairable, and far more easily maintained.

Take the stainless at a great price, and you won't be sorry.

REV

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
The stainless is way easier to take care of: no worry about solvents, clean right down to the bone, minor scrapes, bumps or wear is not a problem. Almost anything can be buffed-out by hand. ...And for me, being able to smooth all the edges, especially around the trigger guard and trigger, was really important. I do like blued guns but prefer stainless for home defense, self defense and concealed carry.

+1 on the GP-100 4" :D

...Jimbo

Rclark

Hunter
or is it simply a matter of personal preference?
Yep. Personal preference. I prefer blued. A stainless gun looks 'unfinished' ... shined it all up and then forgot to blue it :) . Sure stainless is a bit easier to maintain and doesn't show 'honest' wear as much, but blued just looks 'finished' and good IMHO. :) . Both though will shoot just as well. If I am paying $5xx for a gun, I would get the gun that I want... Like looking for a car with blue paint and settling for the yellow one just because it's on the lot and got a bit of a 'deal' on it..... so to speak....

Hyp-storian

Bearcat
Well, you all make excellent points for stainless or blued, so I guess I'll just have to check out the stainless one tomorrow and decide on the spot.
The store owner feels bad that I was jerked around for a month (I was PROMISED delivery of the blued "within two weeks"), and said he'll refund my money on the spot if I don't want the stainless, and I can then buy the blued at another gun shop located about 5 minutes away from him...

piratedude

Single-Sixer
You can always have a finish put on a stainless gun down the road if you really want one. It won't be the same as blued of course, but it will still be a finish. I've often thought about having my stainless guns nickle plated just for maximum corrosion resistance.

Knuckles

Buckeye
You sound like you really want the blued... quit clowning around and get what you had your heart set on... just do it.

BTW... after a little holster wear the bluing will rub off where the gun meets the leather. Still no big deal?... get the blued.

epj

Bearcat
When stainless guns first hit the market in quantity, sometime around 1980, (yeah, I know, there were a few around earlier) the perception was that the carbon steel was easier to machine and left smoother surfaces. The stainless tended to gall and be rougher. With current metalurgy, I don't think this is an issue any more. Not sure it was a real issue to begin with. I bought a S&W 629 in about '79-80 when they first came out and it was probably the smoothest factory gun I have ever seen. It was, however, one of Smith's high end guns and may have gotten a bit more attention in fitting than one of the more pedestrian models.

Hyp-storian

Bearcat
knuckles":2gs0v1li said:
You sound like you really want the blued... quit clowning around and get what you had your heart set on... just do it.

BTW... after a little holster wear the bluing will rub off where the gun meets the leather. Still no big deal?... get the blued.

Nah, it's really not THAT big of a deal- I just PREFER the looks of the blued, it's not like I had my heart set on it (otherwise I wouldn't even have bothered posting this thread, I just would have got my money back from store #1 and bought the blued one at store #2 who has one in stock).

Somebody else also made a good point about the SS being more visible to a home invader because of its "shine", and I think that's a good argument for it too (since that's my main reason for buying it in the first place).
Also, I'll be shooting it a lot at the range, and everyone says the SS is a lot easier to maintain.
Maybe one day I'll buy a blued GP100 to keep it company- but I'm almost certainly going to get a .9 mm Beretta 92 fs first.

Knuckles

Buckeye
Hyp-storian":1pi1rnue said:
knuckles":1pi1rnue said:

Nah, it's really not THAT big of a deal- I just PREFER the looks of the blued, it's not like I had my heart set on it (otherwise I wouldn't even have bothered posting this thread, I just would have got my money back from store #1 and bought the blued one at store #2 who has one in stock).

Somebody else also made a good point about the SS being more visible to a home invader because of its "shine", and I think that's a good argument for it too (since that's my main reason for buying it in the first place).
Also, I'll be shooting it a lot at the range, and everyone says the SS is a lot easier to maintain.
Maybe one day I'll buy a blued GP100 to keep it company- but I'm almost certainly going to get a .9 mm Beretta 92 fs first.

Reverse psychology............. it works every time! :wink: