Gov target MKII

Help Support Ruger Forum:

adamhaigh73

Bearcat
So….. Looking at buying a Mark II Government target.
I already own 3 MkII's, 5 1/2 Bull barrel target, 10 inch bull barrel target and a competition target, as well as a MkIII hunter and a Paclite modified MkIII.
I guess my question is, were any better than others. I noticed most aren't reciever drilled for a rail, and they don't have a recessed muzzle crown. Some people claim they are the best of the Mk series pistols, interested to gain some people's opinions.

I live in Australia and the Gov targets were never imported here, maybe I am just wanting what I can't have (Looking to import, not cheap).

contender

Ruger Guru
Ok, I have used both a MKII Competition Target model AND a MKII Government Target model a fair amount. Both are excellent,, and only a slight difference in the weight/feel. Most can't tell much difference.
Looking at what you already have,, unless you have a specific need, I'd not go to the trouble or expense. Your Comp Target should be just about the same as the Gov Target.

But, if you do decide to get one,, hold out for one already drilled & tapped for a scope,, just to have the "option."

adamhaigh73

Bearcat
Thanks contender, sounds like good advice. All of my Rugers shoot better than I can, the Comp target though is the pick of the bunch.
I definitely don't have a "need", just a "want" and might have an opportunity to import one mid year. Will have to see how things pan out.

amishjeff

Bearcat
I owned both a Gov. and Comp target models and shot them both A LOT... This is the one I still own. I did not notice enough of a difference in the 2 to keep both and I was offered a lot more money fot the Gov. so I sold it. I never regretted my decision.

Attachments

• Ruger comp 2.jpg
    Ruger comp 2.jpg
    80.5 KB · Views: 49
  • Ruger comp.jpg
    Ruger comp.jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 51

1gunsnotenough

Buckeye
I like the feel of the Government Target better than any other MKII. The one I shoot the most I have set up to shoot steel at 50 yrs. I grouped it once of a bag. At 35 yds a dime could cover nine shots. Had one flyer and was using irons.