Gotta love Weber Grills

Help Support Ruger Forum:

I’ve got a Weber gas grill, it’s been hanging out on the back patio for 5 or 6 years, always covered, but not often used.

Anyway, the fam wanted bbq teriyaki chicken, but I didn’t feel like starting a wood fire for my other smoker.

I know it’s been at least 18 months since I’ve used it last. I even thought about hauling it out to the curb for someone else to have.

Took off the cover, changed the battery in the push button ignition switch, and it fired right up!

I did have to clean it before I cook the chicken later this afternoon, but it even looks fairly decent after a good scrub.

I’m not sure if this model is made in the US or not. It isn’t their top of the line model, but not the cheapest either.

I’m impressed!

RSIno1

Hunter
I've got an off brand stainless gas grill and a Traeger pellet smoker.
Last year I finally threw away our nearly 30 year old Weber charcoal kettle. I'm thinking of buying another just because the gas or Traeger won't touch a steak or burger done over hot coals.

Bob Wright

Hawkeye
I have used a Weber grill for over thirty years, but I use wood/charcoal, not gas.

I have an old oak tree in my yard which keeps me supplied with plenty of oak. Have to buy the mesquite, though.

Bob Wright

contender

Ruger Guru
When smoking or cooking over wood,, I prefer apple wood. Luckily,, I live in an area where I can get all I want,, for free. Plus,, I do get any hickory I need off my property.

But,, I digress on grills. I'm using mostly propane for the grill, and I do have a wood smoker. My grill is a Weber too. A gift from a customer.

I wish I could choose to make the time to cook over wood but gas is just too easy... but I will admit not the same. One of my fondest memories is the steaks my father cooked over charcoal and he is the only person I know that figured out the best way to light charcoal fast.. no fluid... roll out the acetylene torch ... hit it all with just the acetylene for a minute then turn that off and hit it all with the pure oxygen for about 30 seconds....and you are ready to cook.

Gopher

Single-Sixer
My retirement gift from Verizon six years ago was a Weber smoker. Cooking for two these days and this thing is killer for ribs and chicken. I do most of my cooking on a gas grill but sometimes a steak is only right done over charcoal with a little pecan wood thrown on for good measure.

Attachments

• smoker 001.jpg
    6.1 MB · Views: 38

RSIno1

Hunter
I wish I could choose to make the time to cook over wood but gas is just too easy... but I will admit not the same. One of my fondest memories is the steaks my father cooked over charcoal and he is the only person I know that figured out the best way to light charcoal fast.. no fluid... roll out the acetylene torch ... hit it all with just the acetylene for a minute then turn that off and hit it all with the pure oxygen for about 30 seconds....and you are ready to cook.
Our fathers must have been related. My dad tried one of those electric starters but that took too long so out came the torches again generally with the big rosebud tip on it.

Rick Courtright

Hawkeye
Hi,

I've had one of the picnic size (Smokey Jr?) with a snap handle to hold it all together for close to 30 yrs. I think they still make a small one that size but I believe the model's been discontinued for quite some time.

One of those chimney style charcoal starters is perfect for mine.

Rick C

woodsy

Blackhawk
I have a "Smokey Joe", a 22 " round with the rotisserie attachment, and a 18" "Smokey Mountain". Love them all, each for a particular use. And that "porcelain" finish never rusts.

Yesterday I ordered a new cover and some internal parts for my grill. It still has quite a few years left before it needs replaced.

Plenty of places sell just about every part you could need for one of these grills.

I made a small stainless steel propane grill about 25 years ago. It sits out in the weather on the back porch year round. I do power wash it sometimes, and will run the grate through the bead blaster once and a while. Other than the gas hose failing due to weather and age and one gas valve it's survived all those years out there. Most of it was 316 scraps and a bit of 304. Bought a stainless burner tube somewhere? Cooking surface is maybe 12 x 22 range, big enough to do what i want. Thought about adding a small box for wood or charcoal but never got to it. Just cooked some salmon on it last night, keeps from smelling up the kitchen.

I made a small stainless steel propane grill about 25 years ago. It sits out in the weather on the back porch year round. I do power wash it sometimes, and will run the grate through the bead blaster once and a while. Other than the gas hose failing due to weather and age and one gas valve it's survived all those years out there. Most of it was 316 scraps and a bit of 304. Bought a stainless burner tube somewhere? Cooking surface is maybe 12 x 22 range, big enough to do what i want. Thought about adding a small box for wood or charcoal but never got to it. Just cooked some salmon on it last night, keeps from smelling up the kitchen.
Homemade grill? That's awesome! I guess you can weld stainless steel?

I've always wanted to make (build) an outdoor brick oven/fireplace. But sadly we don't have the room for it. I had to settle by buying an offset smoker. Which is really nice, but doesn't have the charm of a wood fired brick oven.

I prefer wood, but my sister bought a gas Weber for my birthday about three years ago so its easier just to crank it up for the limited grilling I do anymore. My old grill also had a rotisserie that plugged into the wall and was great for a couple of chickens. Sadly this one is smaller and doesn't have the set-up for one.