Got to see the newer Rugers...Rem R1 1911 Range Report

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Cheesewhiz

Hunter
ArmedinAZ said:
Josh, no way should the ejector fall out of the frame. There should be a cross-pin located in the slot under the rail holding it in. Missing?

The ejector on a 1911 is a two pin set with a cross lock pin on the forward one like Armed said. Probably shouldn't fall out even if it wasn't pinned.

jhearne

Buckeye
ArmedinAZ said:
Josh, no way should the ejector fall out of the frame. There should be a cross-pin located in the slot under the rail holding it in. Missing?

I'd have to see it again to make sure, but I turned the gun over about halfway to apply a little lube to the right rail and out it fell. No sign of the pin. Just checked the manual online, supposed to have one, P/N 35 for that pin, P/N 17 for the Ejector. Will ask my friend to meet up with me tomorrow sometime and check it out again. If that pin's missing, I'll have him call Remington and see what's up and ask about that frame being marked up. Wish I knew more about the 1911, appears I'm getting a crash course.

Josh

jhearne

Buckeye
ArmedinAZ said:
jhearne said:
Wish I knew more about the 1911, appears I'm getting a crash course.

Josh

Don't do it. You'll get addicted. Especially a guy like you that likes to take things apart and understand them. Big trouble.

Heh, well, my Ruger family is growing next month. My uncle is selling his Mini-14. But I've always wanted a 1911, I'll probably get the Springfield, I like the Mil-Spec, but that Range Officer model really catches my eye....couldn't find one at the show though.

Josh

jhearne

Buckeye
Double Maduro said:
Josh,

Could I ask you how much it cost? Actually I guess I just did. lol

Thanks for the range report.

DM

It was $579 IIRC. The Stainless and Blackened Para O models respectively were $560 and $540 (again, IIRC).

Josh

Double Maduro

Single-Sixer
Thanks for the info.

The Springfield Ro is getting a lot of good reviews over at 1911.com.

The consensus is that it is a nice 1911. Most also say that it is better suited to the range than for carry. For carry they are saying the Loaded is better because of fixed sights and a stouter trigger pull. I haven't seen the RO yet but last summer I bought a Springfield PX9109LP. It had a few problems at first, but after a trip back to Springfield, on their dime, it has been great.

Let us know about the ejector problem and what Remington's reaction and action is.

Also let us know when you get a 1911, they are fun.

DM

Double Maduro

Single-Sixer
I just looked up the specs on the RO and the trigger pull is listed the same as my loaded. I don't know where they got their info.

Just wanted to clear that up.

DM

jhearne

Buckeye
Of all my 1911 dealings (Kimber Pro Carry II, Rem/Rand 1911, SA Loaded and this R1) I haven't had a single issue and I've enjoyed each pull of the trigger. If I were to get a 1911, it'd be a range gun, so the RO sounds more like what I'd want. For me a carry gun I'm looking for something like my SR9 or any other gun built with carry intentions in mind. I know many carry the 1911, but it's not on the list of things I'm buying the gun for...it might make it to my nightstand. Thanks for the info and correction DM.

Josh

jhearne

Buckeye
Update:

He called me yesterday with some trouble and said when he was cleaning, after he tried to get it together, it wouldn't fit back just right, but he couldn't get it apart any from where he was at to do anything to fix it himself. I told him to hang on and just let me look at it after work today. I get there and after a few minutes to see what was going on, I determined that the takedown pin/slide stop wasn't through the barrel link. He didn't thread the needle and with the pin installed improperly, it was binding the slide via the barrel. It couldn't drop down and unlock to cycle.

I had to force the pin out as gently as I could without damaging the slide. I got the pin out and reassembled the R1. Got it back together and cycled the action, just fine. I explained what he did wrong and went through the field stripping a couple times more to make sure he had it down pat.

Regarding the Ejector and retaining pin, it is missing. I'm going to have him call Remington tomorrow and see about getting one.

After that he wanted me to look at his safe, it hadn't been opened since when they had it brought in after his wife's father passed. I got it opened for him and found out what guns he had inside. I found a Ruger M77 in .243, a Winchester Model 37 .20 Gauge, a Glenfield Model 75 semi-auto .22LR rifle and a JC Higgins Model 103.18 .22LR bolt-action rifle. Seems from a quick trip down Google lane, the Higgins and Glenfield rifles are both very similar to Marlin models. All of the guns seemed well used, and they're all in need of some TLC, of the 4, the M77 was in the better shape. Might have to set aside some time and see if he wants to clean these guns up, they're all shooters, he seems to be enjoying trigger time more than I thought.

Josh