Got to see the newer Rugers...Rem R1 1911 Range Report

Help Support Ruger Forum:

jhearne

Buckeye
EDIT: Review/Range Report of the R1 on pg 2.

My buddy mentioned yesterday of going to the gun show in Conroe and needed someone who knew guns to go with him (we drove through "Cut N Shoot", where a member here has as his location, if you saw a red 350Z driving a bit fast/aggressively, it was probably me!). It was for his first purchase and he was pretty much sold on a 1911 before he knew there was a show today. Hadn't been to a show in a while so we left early and got there just after it opened. He had his eyes on a 1911 or maybe an XD. I tried to tempt him to the Ruger side of things, but he wasn't having it. It's hard to beat a decent 1911 though, just so many options if you have the cash.

He found a few Rock Islands, Para O's, an STI Spartan (not bad, I hated the sights) a bunch of Springfields and a few Kimbers. He had his eyes on a flat Stainless Para in .45. I then saw the new Remington R1 1911. Real nice finish for an entry 1911. Showed it to him and he liked it a good deal, but was in between the two guns. The thing I didn't like about the Para was that the finish wasn't really matched from the frame to the slide, where as the Remington was a good lookin' 1911 for the price. I really wanted him to be able to find an entry Springfield Mil-Spec or Range Officer (I really like this gun). We couldn't find anything else aside from a 1911 that would appeal to his tastes, or price range. He ended up with the Remington. (pics below!)

He wants his CHL soon, but has already said it'll mainly be a gun for his car/house. He'll probably buy something smaller for his CCW....he doesn't mind the .380 ACP round. He said the one he shot, he did like. For him, I honestly think it'll do him good to have one.

I got to see the new SR40 and LC9 along with a slew of LCRs and LCPs. I really like the LC9, felt pretty nice in my hands, even though I do have decently large hands. The SR40 feels just like my SR9 after a thanksgiving meal, just a little bit heavier. Saw a few CZ's, but nothing I liked, I wasn't going to buy anything, just look and help advise when I could. I might save up for the LC9, the best price I found was $379, didn't notice the pricing on the LCPs.

Here's the R1 1911. He had me take it back to my house, his wife met us halfway home and brought him back to find her a car :lol:. He gets a gun, she a new ride. Anyways, just cut the zip-tie on the slide (it was a display, only one in the whole show we could find) and that slide is tight. Not loose or sloppy in the action. The trigger could use some work, but overall, I'd say it'll shoot well. Sights aren't bad, just a 3 dot setup, and the controls work as advertised. Only thing I don't like is the old school hammer, but with it's length, there's a good bit to grab onto to thumb it back. There's an LCI, but it's just a little peep hole in the back of the barrel where you can see the brass sitting inside. I doubt he'll do anything to it soon, maybe a set of grips, fancy doo-dad trigger and skeletonized hammer.

Josh

41596c01.jpg

c31026ee.jpg

e2324230.jpg

efbbdca4.jpg

a3e992b4.jpg

Gun Fan 70

Single-Sixer
A little plain jane for my taste, but I hear they are good pistols. I'd definitly be blacking out those rear dots. You're a good man for helping out a friend. Thanks for the post.

jhearne

Buckeye
sparks701 said:
Shoulda gotten the Spartan :D

Neither of us liked the sights, even though they're changeable later on, we didn't like its sights. It was also the only STI we found, otherwise, I liked it though.

Josh

jhearne

Buckeye
Gun Fan 70 said:
A little plain jane for my taste, but I hear they are good pistols. I'd definitly be blacking out those rear dots. You're a good man for helping out a friend. Thanks for the post.

No problem, I wanted to go anyways, figured I'd see the new Rugers. I actually like the way that R1 feels. Hopefully we'll get to go out to the range tomorrow, I want to shoot the SR9 anyways :)

Josh

sparks701

Bearcat
Did it have have the adjustable rear, all black and fiber optic front? I wasn't sold on them at 1st either but now I really like them. I do like the Remington though.

jhearne

Buckeye
sparks701 said:
Did it have have the adjustable rear, all black and fiber optic front? I wasn't sold on them at 1st either but now I really like them. I do like the Remington though.

I believe it was just a U notched rear and front blade, all metal, not adjustable and all black. I didn't like the sight picture, I like having dots at least.

Josh

jhearne

Buckeye
Just looked at the Spartan on stiguns.com and it has the sights you mentioned, but I don't think the Spartan I had the same ones....I could be wrong.

Josh

sparks701

Bearcat
jhearne said:
sparks701 said:

I believe it was just a U notched rear and front blade, all metal, not adjustable and all black. I didn't like the sight picture, I like having dots at least.

Josh
I would have passed on that too, must be aftermarket sights, stock has the adjustable targrt sights and STI"s fiber optic front. I changed my front sight out with Dawsons, it is a little thinner and alot brighter. But my STI is the most accurate gun I own. Let us know how your buddies Remington shoots, I would like to try one out myself.

jhearne

Buckeye
See my above post, but yeah, I will if we get to go. I have yet to shoot a 1911 at the range. I've only shot a coworkers Remington/Rand and Kimber Carry II in his field at improvised targets. If I shoot it well, it'll bump up in my 'list' ;)

Josh

Double Maduro

Single-Sixer
Josh,

Three of us put an R1 through it's paces at the range one evening. Good shooting gun, accurate and no hiccups at all.

The fit and finish on the one I shot was better than a lot of the much more expensive 1911s I saw when I was looking last spring.

I think your friend will be happy with it.

DM

Cheesewhiz

Hunter
With what little time I have fired the Remington, a couple of mags worth, I agree with DM. A well put together gun, nice fit and finish, I think your friend will like it too. Keep him from messing with it too much, maybe a medium length solid trigger is all I would think of doing.

ken 66

Bearcat
Jhearne, I enjoyed your story, then realized I live in the same town. I have several Ruger and Glock .45's, and also been thinking of a 1911. Research says the Remington is a good choice, and I have been leaning that way.

Sounds like I should have ridden with you!

Ken

jhearne

Buckeye
ken 66 said:
Jhearne, I enjoyed your story, then realized I live in the same town. I have several Ruger and Glock .45's, and also been thinking of a 1911. Research says the Remington is a good choice, and I have been leaning that way.

Sounds like I should have ridden with you!

Ken

There's a few of us from the Lufkin area on here it seems, but the 350Z I drive only has 2 seats :p. I like the Remington, if he ever decides to get rid of of it, I told him to tell me first.

Josh

ArmedinAZ

Buckeye
ken 66 said:

Ken

Or wait to see what Ruger intros in April in Pittsburgh? Maybe...

jhearne

Buckeye
Got a call a few hours ago that they were heading over to his parent's land to shoot it. I just got back, first impressions, great gun!

Shot well, couldn't comment on how accurate, or how well it grouped. We didn't have targets, just coke cans and a bucket (now full of .45ACP and 9mm holes). Had one real malfunction and I can't determine the cause, he may have limp wristed it...it failed to feed the last round. It wasn't hung up like a normal poor feed (where it hangs on the feed ramp), this hung up in the ejection port. I was a few feet away, but he cleared it and handled it safely.

He tried to ride the slide, managed to fix the issue while we were shooting a few mags. The R1 doesn't have that stout of a recoil spring, manipulating the slide is an effortless movement. With a firm grip though, recoil wasn't bad. We were shooting Remington UMC FMJ ammo btw. His first 7 shots were spread out over the bucket we had (full of water for a short time). Other than riding the slide at first, and the one malfunction, it was a good outing. I did have to mention some new to him safety practices, but he caught on quick.

Showed how you couldn't safety the gun unless it was cocked back, and that the grip safety functioned as it should. His wife shot it, but didn't like the recoil. I brought the SR9 with me and she liked it much more. Doubt she'll get herself a gun, she wasn't into shooting all that much, but he seemed to like it.

After we were done I asked if he had bought anything to clean it with, luckily, he's always been one to take care of his stuff, cars, motorcycles and so on. He had the basics, bore snake, lube oil, wipes and so on. I took it apart first since I had experience disassembling guns, but showed him how I did everything. Was my first time with field stripping a 1911. Must say it was different, but not difficult. The gun came apart easy enough and getting it back together was no different. He then had his turn and only needed some coaching a couple times.

The one thing I'll say about the R1 that I didn't like is that the ejector can simply fall out of the gun's frame if you let gravity do it's thing. Working and designing parts in a machine shop like I do, I certainly understand the function. Just easy for me to see that it could come out and even be lost, especially by a new owner.

Last night I noticed before he came to pick it up that there were marks under the slide on the frame. Here's a link to the video (YouTube). I think they're marks from maybe fitting, but it's possible that they're imperfections in the metal or marks from the casting process....unless the R1 is machined from billet, not cast frame blanks. My friend seemed to not mind, I never noticed it until last night and he didn't until I showed him. Let me know what you guys think it might be.

Overlooking those marks, the gun itself is great and another fine 1911 at a decent price for a basic model of a big US brand. He was happy with the purchase and I'm glad to have helped bring someone into the world of firearms. I finally got him into Nissans, but now I need to get him into Rugers ;)

Josh

Gun Fan 70

Single-Sixer
Thanks for the review Josh! Getting your friend into Rugers may be a long row to plow. There seems to be some mild descrimination towards the screaming eagle among the guys I shoot with.