got some non-ruger questions (pics added)

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Three50seven

Buckeye
I just bought an old S&W K-frame .38spl. Its 4" nickel and has an unshrouded barrel. It has the modern-looking adjustable rear sights and ramp front sight. Its also a "5 screw." serial # is 216xx. I believe its a model 15, but I'm not sure. I plan to post pics tomorrow. Any info as to the age and value of this revolver would be VERY MUCH appreciated!

Sorry for the crappy pics, my camera is junk:
100_0476.jpg

100_0478.jpg

100_0480.jpg

Cholo

Staff member
Swing the cylinder open and look at the crane. There might be a model # on it. Many/most 5 screws didn't. Pics sure would help.

I've got a couple of 5 screws myself. Nice guns!

Three50seven

Buckeye
Cholo: There's no model # on the crane, I can't find a model number anywhere actually. Also, I don't know if it matters, but the "&" symbol is the older style that S&W used to use. As you can see, the gun is a "beater" except for the real stags. I didn't think it was too bad for $200 otd.

Snake45

Hawkeye
Yes, that's an old S&W M15 Combat Masterpiece. Looks like it might have been replated.

If it works and fires safely, $200 was a good price for it. Looks like a good shooter. Go have fun with it!

Sugar River

Buckeye
It's a "pre model 15" aka "K-38 Combat Masterpiece". They deleted the 5th screw in 1955 and switched to the numbering system in '57.
If the s/n has a K prefix it would date from 1948 or 49.

Hard to tell, but it looks like a refinish which would detract from the value. Original stocks would have been walnut diamond service magnas.
I don't think you overpaid, but not a smoking deal either.

Pete

Three50seven

Buckeye
Thanks for the info guys. From what I could find I thought it was a K-38. Theres no K prefix just the five digits, so would this place it sometime in the early '50's?

Also, I don't think it's been refinished, just steelwooled to death. I know you can't see from the crappy pics, but the nickel finish ir really uneven and you can tell where someone has steelwooled it. On a good note, the bore and cylinders are spotless :)

CraigC

Hawkeye
Yep, definitely a pre-model 15. Hard to tell from the pics but from here it looks like a refinish. Especially considering that the hammer and trigger are plated when they would've been color case hardened from the factory.

Three50seven

Buckeye
Ok, a refinish makes sense then because all the pics I can find show case hardened triggers and hammers, as well as the rear sight assembly. Its probably going to get some sort of baked-on finish and become my truck gun.

Latest posts