Got rid of my S&W 642

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Dueeast

Bearcat
NJ (where the govt. knows whats best for you)
I wanted a .357 for CC and didn't like the fact that S&W's were of lightweight metals. I had a S&W 642 Airweight .38 that I sold because I wanted a more powerfull load. It seemed the answer was a Sp101 2 1/4" hammerless in .357 thats ordered and now I wait. I had one other Ruger revolver in my lifetime, and I regret selling it. A .357 4" Security Six. I hope the quality of the Sp 101 is as good.

got a 642 sitting right here ,now...this is indeed, a "pocket pistol".....
lots of GOOD ,potent, 38 special out there , that is very effective and will get the job done....................
Good luck with YOUR choice, after all , this IS the Ruger Forum.... :wink:

I've got a 642 I will not part with. But then I've also got the SP101 so I don't have to make that decision. I think the 642 is a great pocket pistol and it's with me most of the time. I'm good with the 38 +P ammo out there. Less chance for pass through than carrying the 357. Both have their place IMO.

ranger7

Bearcat
Sold two pre-lock 642s in recent months. (I still have a pre-lock 442.) LCRs are now my preferred carry gun. Like the XS night sights too.

mohavesam

Hawkeye
A 442 stuffed with 66-grain PMC Ultramags... it doesn't get any more lightweight than that - or deadly for a purely defensive load! carried the combo for years. and years.

8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

Knuckles

Buckeye
Dueeast":169mxqq6 said:
I wanted a .357 for CC and didn't like the fact that S&W's were of lightweight metals. I had a S&W 642 Airweight .38 that I sold because I wanted a more powerfull load. It seemed the answer was a Sp101 2 1/4" hammerless in .357 thats ordered and now I wait. I had one other Ruger revolver in my lifetime, and I regret selling it. A .357 4" Security Six. I hope the quality of the Sp 101 is as good.

You did the right thing. :wink:

Dueeast":gkyo7yat said:

I'm not saying I wouldn't like an LCR, I just wouldn't sell my no lock 642 that I carry to get one. However, I do have an extra one that is unfired that might get traded off. That's a hard one though. You don't find one of those everyday.

gobe

Bearcat
I'm with Ky Bob ...... my ALWAYS carry is a 442 with the CTC laser & +P.
Love my 2-1/4" SP-101 in .357 Mag (also with the CTC laser) for winter carry, but still carry the 442 as a BUG. Nice thing about that combo is that I can carry .38 Spl.+P in speedloaders and they fit both irons.

Yosemite Sam

Hunter
Sold my lock-equipped 642 right after it was returned from S&W to fix a problem it should never have been shipped with. Even after return it looked like the muzzle crown had been cut with a wood rasp, and it would skip timing if you short stroked the trigger.

I won't own any current model S&Ws, but have a nice collection of older ones. This is my most recent, which indeed does see action as a carry gun:

IMG_1270Small.jpg

-- Sam

eddieb

Bearcat
Yosemite Sam":iauz71la said:
Sold my lock-equipped 642 right after it was returned from S&W to fix a problem it should never have been shipped with. Even after return it looked like the muzzle crown had been cut with a wood rasp, and it would skip timing if you short stroked the trigger.

I won't own any current model S&Ws, but have a nice collection of older ones. This is my most recent, which indeed does see action as a carry gun:

IMG_1270Small.jpg

-- Sam

Oooooooooooo!!!! That's purdy! :D

Latest posts