Got it, Ruger stainless Scout Rifle....

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Magnum Force

Single-Sixer
I have been wanting a Ruger 77 MKII stainless "All Weather Rifle" with iron sights, but apparently they are very scarce. All the ones I've seen have no iron sights, so figured I'd get a stainless Scout rifle, and maybe drop it into an All Weather synthetic stock.

Sighted it in this morning in freezing cold weather and gusty winds. About 25 degrees and winds up to 20 MPH. Not the best shooting day, but in January you take what you get.

Took me about ten rounds to get the sights zeroed, then I put a five rounds into a target at 100 yards, fired from the prone position. Four went into a nice group about two inches square, the fifth round low (trigger jerk, sight placement?) who knows. I'll consider it sighted in and ready for action....

An add from 2003, showing the line or Ruger All Weather Rifles, 77KII, 77/44, Mini 14 and 10/22:

My accumulation of Ruger rifles, Scout Rifle, 77/44 Mini 30 and 10/22:

I think these should do for most shooting in North America!

Rocdoc

Buckeye
Nice! You are off to a good start, but the Ruger bug will likely sneak on you again!

willk

Blackhawk
Great to see an honest group. That's not bad shooting for iron sights without a bench rest. Nice rifle and nice collection.

gunzo

Buckeye
I love the scout rifles & this one, the 18" stainless is my favorite.

Minus the flyer, that prone, iron sighted, 100yd., group on a cold windy day, is pretty doggone good in my book. I know a lot of casual shooters that can't pull that off with a scope & a bench.

150 FMJBT. Generic military type load ? hand load ? The rifle appears to be very accurate. Or not. Maybe you should just send it to me. 8)

22/45 Fan

Hunter
Is that a 5-round magazine in your rifle? I have a left-handed stainless GS Scout in .223 Rem/5.56 and ShopRuger does not sell a 5-round magazines for it. I had to buy one directly from Accurate Mag and it cost as much as the 10-round. I wish someone offered a 5-round polymer mag for it at a lower price.

I scoped mine and it is surprisingly accurate.

Magnum Force

Single-Sixer
The rounds are Hornady 150 grain FMJBT that were in a plastic sack of handloads that lost the paper with load data. I think they were loaded with 3031, but could be 4895, as those are the two powders I use the most.

That is a Ruger brand five shot steel magazine. I also have a polymer five shot mag from Ruger that fits even closer to the mag well. I like the five rounders as they are not as bulky as the issue ten round mag.

I like it.
mrwn76.jpg

700xcr

Bearcat
Magnum Force said:
I have been wanting a Ruger 77 MKII stainless "All Weather Rifle" with iron sights, but apparently they are very scarce. All the ones I've seen have no iron sights, so figured I'd get a stainless Scout rifle, and maybe drop it into an All Weather synthetic stock.

Sighted it in this morning in freezing cold weather and gusty winds. About 25 degrees and winds up to 20 MPH. Not the best shooting day, but in January you take what you get.

Took me about ten rounds to get the sights zeroed, then I put a five rounds into a target at 100 yards, fired from the prone position. Four went into a nice group about two inches square, the fifth round low (trigger jerk, sight placement?) who knows. I'll consider it sighted in and ready for action....

An add from 2003, showing the line or Ruger All Weather Rifles, 77KII, 77/44, Mini 14 and 10/22:

My accumulation of Ruger rifles, Scout Rifle, 77/44 Mini 30 and 10/22:

I think these should do for most shooting in North America!
You need to add The Ruger M77 Hawkeye Guide Gun in 375 Ruger to your collection for Alaska.
http://www.ruger.com/products/guideGun/specSheets/47125.html

mjh

Single-Sixer
You can get the black synthetic stock for the GSR and it will blend in a little better with the othera on the rack...and a pound or so lighter....

Other wise I'd say a nice set of firearms yea got there!

mike4570

Bearcat
Welcome to the Scout Club. Planning to scope it? One of mine wears an older Burris 2 3/4x scout scope and the other has a Leupold 1x4 Hog scope with the "Pig Plex" reticle. Super fast scope if you like a conventional mounting. You can still shoot with both eyes open at 2x. I'm using factory #3 and #4 rings to get it down low.

Magnum Force

Single-Sixer
Yes, I will get a Leupold Scout Scope for it, zero it in some quick disconnect mounts and then just have the scope for when I want to use the rifle in low light conditions like hunting. Most times I imagine I'll just use the iron sights.

I really like the compact, light weight nature of the Scout Rifle. A handy gun to have around, easy to carry, hard hitting if pressed into service.

22/45 Fan

Hunter
Magnum Force said:
I really like the compact, light weight nature of the Scout Rifle. A handy gun to have around, easy to carry, hard hitting if pressed into service.
I like mine for the same reasons plus it is one of the few left-handed, stainless steel bolt rifles that is chambered in 5.56 NATO. Most non-AR's are chambered in .223 Rem and cannot safely shoot 5.56 ammo. Mine can shoot any .223 or 5.56 ammo.