Got a call from Ruger

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Revolver-Time

Single-Sixer
Brenda from Ruger customer service called me today about the 44 spl I thought was flame cutting. They tested the frame and it was properly hardened. They next pulled the barrel and found that the die used to cut the reciever threads did continue into the backstrap. So they said they are going to reinstall the barrel and refinish the pistol. I should have it back sometime next week. This is a wonderful relief because I really like this Blackhawk and I gained much faith in Rugers customer service.

RedLabel

Single-Sixer
Ruger's service is phenomenal and I have spoken with Brenda myself when I had sent my Red Label in. VERY nice person! I must have missed the post, What caused you to believe you were having a problem with your gun?

Revolver-Time

Single-Sixer
RedLabel":3ssa8d19 said:
Ruger's service is phenomenal and I have spoken with Brenda myself when I had sent my Red Label in. VERY nice person! I must have missed the post, What caused you to believe you were having a problem with your gun?

After < 500 rounds of mild 240gr, 750 fps, 44 spl. I found a cut just above the forcing cone exactly where I have seen flame or gas cutting on a Smith 357 I have. The Smith cut to a certain depth but has seemed to stop. But I couldn't understand why mild loads in a 44 spl would cut. So I was worried perhaps the frame was not properly hardened. And as Paul Harvey would say, "And now you know the rest of the story."

Jayhawkhuntclub

Buckeye
contender":1qfcobj2 said:
Glad to hear it wasn't a flame cutting issue.

I thought flame cutting was a non-issue issue. That is that it tended to stop at a certain point and wasn't really much to worry about.

Revolver-Time

Single-Sixer
Jayhawkhuntclub":36u6l28k said:
contender":36u6l28k said:
Glad to hear it wasn't a flame cutting issue.

I thought flame cutting was a non-issue issue. That is that it tended to stop at a certain point and wasn't really much to worry about.

I think it is a non-issue if the revolver is designed correctly, and the metalurgy is proper. But, I know manfacturers do things to stop or prevent it. Like Smith uses on some of it's revolvers a thin metal strip over the frame. Ruger, I think, stopped production of the 357 maximum due to flame cutting. Apparently Ruger have had some frames that did not get properly treated on the LCR that has caused some problems.