Good price for factory .223?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

BeagleDog

Blackhawk
I just got my first .223 and I'm just starting to handload so I needed some factory ammo. I googled all over the place and went to my usual suspect suppliers and the absolute best I could find was Fiocchi Hornady V-Max 40gr, a 1,000 rnds for $336 shipped. I'm familar with Fiochhi so I'm not questioing them but does someone else know of some deals out there online as I really would like to pick up another 1,000.

BeagleDog

Blackhawk
slowrider":2wlq7e46 said:
Have you tried ammoengine.com? There's cheaper if you'll take non reloadable Russian.

Well I guess now is as good as a time as any. So.........what are the cons of Wolf? Obviously the pro is price. One downside is non reloadablee but since I mentioned I JUST got into reloading I will have the 1,000 cases from the Fiochhi and there's always some brass laying around at my range. But is it real dirty (I bought some MiWall .357 and it was so dirty my indoor range asked me not to shoot it anymore and I don't blame them - and the gun, yuck!). Is it reliable? Does it beat heck out of a gun? I'm just looking for a good honest assessment from you more experienced .223 shooters.

wixedmords

Blackhawk
Tough caliber right now BD. Just burning off .223 in an AR, if it is an AR, is pretty costly.

I have shot a decent amount of Wolf and even more Brown Bear and Silver Bear, more of my reloads though. I prefer the Brown Bear and Silver Bear over the Wolf. But, as long as you get the non-lacquered Wolf you will be fine. It is getting pretty hard to find the lacquered Wolf.

There is a ammo section on AR15.com that is dedicated to ammo prices, posting current prices from the internet and box stores.

DGW1949

Hunter
I just passed on an offer of 1000 Lake City green-tip ammo for $350 OTD. Seemed expensive to me.....but maybe it wasn't ?

DGW

revhigh

Hawkeye
DGW1949":1c5z6jik said:
I just passed on an offer of 1000 Lake City green-tip ammo for $350 OTD. Seemed expensive to me.....but maybe it wasn't ?

DGW

For 'real' Lake City, I think that was an outstanding price ... it's usually around $500 from what I've seen.

REV

BeagleDog

Blackhawk
revhigh":20mvyquc said:
DGW1949":20mvyquc said:

DGW

For 'real' Lake City, I think that was an outstanding price ... it's usually around $500 from what I've seen.

REV

+1 on Rev. In my eternal quest for better prices, that is/was an outstanding price. Grab it if it's still available.

BeagleDog

Blackhawk
Jed Clampett":1g805bai said:
BeatleDog,

What's the barrel twist on your .223.
You might want to try some 55 grain or heavier bullets.

Jed

Uh oh. As I mentioned this will be my first .223. It's a Mini-14 tactical that will probably be here Monday or Tuesday and I don't even know the twist. I'm so inexperienced I wasn't even thinking about barrel twists and the like. I just figured I know Fiochhi, I know Hornady bullets, and the price was the best I could find.

Do you mind taking a minute and explaining to me why the heavier bullets MIGHT be better in the Ruger and/or if the 40gr will be OK - how barrel twist affects accuracy which is what I am assumng you are concerned about?

Thanks in advance!

A

Anonymous

I just bought a 100 pk of federal 55 gr.

At Wally world for 39.00. I was wanting some brass and figured this was cheaper

208packinheat

Single-Sixer
Earlier this week I picked up 500 rounds in 250 packs of Federal 55 gr. soft for $150.00 + tax from Wally World. Seen that price several times when just walking through, so should still be available.

Silent Sam

Blackhawk
Mini 14 - 6 grooves, right-hand twist, one turn in 10"; after 1988 twist changed to one in 7"; in mid-1994 twist changed to one in 9". Faster twist accomodates heavier bullets. 55gr bullets work fine.

slippingaway

Blackhawk
Check out ammunitiontogo.com for some inexpensive .223 ammo. They've actually got a lot of it in stock it looks like, they have some remanufactured military ammo for $290/1000. It's in Lake City brass, loaded on military reloading machines, using Hornady bullets and Hodgdon powder. Would be some good brass for reloading...

Latest posts