Good news about longevity of a well worn 22/45 ?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Retread

Bearcat
I asked an experienced bulls eye competitor and gunsmith to look at my long bbld slab sided Mark II era 22/45 last week end. I thought the trigger rolled a bit more than I wanted it to for bulls eye work. The good people at VQ had installed some of their parts and tweaked the gun for me in 2010 when I was a Steel Challenge shooter. The trigger is exceptional, as can be expected from Volquartsen, but its longer, rolling travel, perfect for speed shooting, presents a challenge now that I've morphed into a small time local bulls eye competitor. I wondered if it should be cleaned up a bit. (Because I only used the gun for speed shooting - couldn't imagine I'd ever attempt bulls eye - I didn't have Volquartsen install the VQ trigger, wanting to retain the basic long trigger for Steel Challenge shooting).

This guy said, no, don't mess with it. It will help in the development of my bulls eye work and it is a nice 2 1/4 pounds as is. At times, because I hesitate so much, it feels like it has about a 15 lb trigger at 50 yards - but that, I already knew, was my problem.

I asked this smith about some other problems with this gun. I'd been thinking maybe I'll have to give up on it entirely. I bought it in 2005 at a Salt Lake City gun show as a new gun. Wasn't looking for a Mark gun, though I knew I wanted it when I saw it. But, it seemed "shop worn"; the expression a friend who saw it used at the time. There was a smidgeon of pitted rust in the barrel that I can now no longer see. The top of the front sight wasn't quite squared. I've fired, maybe, 30,000 rounds through it in Steel Challenge practice, almost all of it Wally World bulk Fed Champion. At one point the bolt stop broke, which Ruger was kind enough to replace after some back and forth. Then the fire pin broke. Recently, the bolt doesn't want to stay back (after my dropping it over time using the bolt release instead of "sling shotting" as I should've been doing). I'm about to put in a new bolt release. Now, I'm noticing that the ejector moves slightly, which the one in my other Mk II 22/45 does not do. So, I asked this smith what can I expect from a gun that's developing problems like this?

His response was that it's still very much "a shooter". It's good for my early bulls eye work (been at it for about 4 or 5 months) and that the gun can be expected to last a long time. He was basing this on his experience with a handful of Ruger Mark guns that his local shooting business uses that have hundreds of thousands of rounds through them and still work. I didn't know that might be possible. It opens up the possibility, while carefully monitoring some of these problems, that I can use the gun for some bulls eye work, and, if .22 ammo prices ever become reasonable again, I have a perfect gun, thanks to the VQ combat trigger, to return to Steel Challenge practice and competition.

Does anyone else here have experience using Mark II, or III, guns so extensively that they wear out, or almost wear out?

williamc

Single-Sixer
I have tens of thousands of rounds thru my M&P, and the gun is still nearly new. The only scuffs or marks on it are from handling.

I have a hard time believing anyone would shoot out one of them in their lifetime. Great guns!

98_1LE

Single-Sixer
I have a little over 22k rounds through my main 22/45, a KP512. The upper to lower fit isn't like new anymore, but it still shoots like a dream. I expect the cock roaches will be fighting each other with them in a few hundred years. :D

I have a stainless Mark II bull barrel. It was my first and only gun for many years. I suspect it has close to 50,000 rounds. the trigger feels like a double stage. There is so much creep, then the pull could be measured in ounces. It is almost disarmingly scary. I don't shoot it so much any more, but when I do it is still as accurate as the first time I shot it.

contender

Ruger Guru
A few years back,, our group of instructors who helped us teach our NRA WOT clinics got to discussing the heavy use of our personal Ruger MKII pistols. They got to thinking about having any extra $$ that came in to be used to purchase a Ruger MKII to prevent our "wearing out" our personal Rugers. Well, without fail, all of us could not think of a single case of a Ruger "wearing out beyond use" to where we decided to NOT purchase any guns for fear of wearing them out. Most of us used ours a LOT too!

98_1LE

Single-Sixer
By the time you wear it out, you will have spent many times the cost of the gun on ammo.

And odds are Ruger would fix it if you bought it new.

I had a Ruger Stainless KMK678GC MK2 develop several problems. All of which did effect the accuracy and function of the gun. I have a detailed thread about it around here somewhere. I also have detailed account of my customer service experience (or rather the lack of) they asked my serial number and told me my gun was too old and wanted to "replace" it with a NEW MKIII at a discounted cost. I just wanted my gun fixed.

I eventually got a bad taste and sold it for parts at a gun show.

I later replaced it with one of the BEST, if not the best .22 pistols I have ever owned. A Ruger Single-Six Convertible Stainless 5.5 inch!

I did wind up eventually buying a MK3. It was the 5 inch bull barrel model. Blued. Adjustable sights. Polymer frame.

But the single-six already had my heart.

A buddy and I where working out a trade and I offered the MKIII up to sweeten the deal. I don't miss it.

Major T

Blackhawk
You guys are worried about your Mark II pistols. I'm still attempting to wear out a couple of Mark I's. I picked up Dad's for him in the very early sixties. He shot the 6+" barrel model a ton and hauled it everywhere under the seat of his pickup right up to the end.

Mine is a little later 5" bull bbl that came to me used and truthfully it has not seen much use the last several years. Maybe the grand daughters can wear them out.

Even so, I have been eyeing the little lightweight 22/45.

Jack