Good MK series reference books?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

awp101

Single-Sixer
TX, home of DeeDee Snavely's Used Guns and Weapons
I love a good reference book as much as a good firearm.

I know RENE is a source I should be subscribing to, but what are the other current go-to reference books for the MK/Standard series? I'm less interested in blue book value guides and more interested in the history, changes and variations.

Thanks!

I have two good reference volumes, there may be others.

For the two that I have, you'll want two copies of each. Your first copy will be full of drool, but you can keep your second copy nice! 😆

"Encyclopedia Of Ruger Semi-Automatic Rimfire Pistols, 1949-1992" by Chad Hiddleson (Chet15 on this Forum, and publisher of RENE) Amazon product ASIN 0873412176

"Bill Ruger's .22 Pistol" by Don Findley
Amazon product ASIN 0975489747

"The Ruger .22 Automatic Pistol: Standard/ Mark I/ Mark II Series," by Duncan Long, would be in a distant third place, IMHO.
Amazon product ASIN 0873644883

Last edited:

contender

Ruger Guru
I'll add another one,,, though not totally dedicated to the semi-auto .22's.
John Dougan's "Ruger Pistols & Revolvers The Vintage Years 1949-1973."

Lots of good info there as well.

Thanks! @chet15's book and the Dougan book were on my list but I hadn't seen the Findley book.

I was wondering about the Duncan Long book but based on the reviews and the "distant third" recommendation it looks like it won't be a priority.
Great book and an amazing collection of the early Standard/MK series pistols. You can get Don Findley's book through Ruger Owners & Collector Society (ROCS). If you're a ROCS member, you'll save $10 bucks, my copy even came signed by Don. If nothing else join the web board there, it is a wealth of information on everything Ruger.

Chad's book is a must have as well! ;)