Good, inexpensive Single Six holster

Help Support Ruger Forum:

ab4ka

Single-Sixer
I wanted a holster for my new (to me) Single-Six. I liked the one from Ruger, but preferred one that would snap over my belt as opposed to just a loop. I ordered this one from Midway and it came in yesterday. It's a Hunter, fits perfectly and seems to be very well made. I also like the thumb break better on it, not to mention it was $8 cheaper. I'd liked to have had one with the Ruger logo on it, but I'm quite pleased with this one.
SN850991.jpg

contender

Ruger Guru
Hunter makes some very nice, plain-jane types of holsters at a very good price. Kinda like Rugers,,, Simple, rugged & very functional.

Hugh

Buckeye
ab4ka":2zptt7vr said:
I wanted a holster for my new (to me) Single-Six. I liked the one from Ruger, but preferred one that would snap over my belt as opposed to just a loop. I ordered this one from Midway and it came in yesterday. It's a Hunter, fits perfectly and seems to be very well made. I also like the thumb break better on it, not to mention it was $8 cheaper. I'd liked to have had one with the Ruger logo on it, but I'm quite pleased with this one.
SN850991.jpg

I have one just like it for my 5-1/2" Single Six; from Midway. Great fit. Received it last week. I've carried my 4" Security Six in a Hunter for many years; it's still a great holster.

Desert Dawg

Bearcat
Hunter makes some good stuff.

I had a Hunter for my 5 1/2" three screw Single Six, but it - and a Ruger flap holster - went with it when my grandson borrowed it.

I tote my 9 1/2" three screw Single Six in an old, but good Hunter.
Previous owner cut the strap off.
Kinda wish it was there, but never had a problem with the gun backing out or similar.

ab4ka

Single-Sixer
Eventually I'd like to get a western rig for it, belt with the cartridge loops and a holster (of course I'll have to get a double belt, which means I'll need another gun to put in the other holster). That would take me back to my childhood!

gunslinger9729

Bearcat
I used to have one of those Hunter holsters to keep my Single Six in sold the gun kept the holster. Then I used the holster for a diferent revolver till the strap broke then put it in a dresser drawer and now I cant find it at all. They are great holsters that will stand up to lots of use and are a good return on a mild price. I have to get another one all the holsters I have now except one I just got are nylon, they dont rot dont mind getting wet or anything but they dont have the feel or smell of a good leather holster.

flatgate

Hawkeye
I've picked up several Hunter brand holsters over the years. 2nd Hand Stores/Pawn Shops are a good source for the "thrifty" buyer.....

I've cut 'em down, made 'em cross draw, etc. while deciding on what I really wanted from a "higher quality" source......

flatgate

Desert Dawg

Bearcat
Good idea Flatgate.

Fwiw, I made a small SafariLand lined holster that was probably for a 3" barrel S&W 38 fit the fat cylinder of my Bulldog 44 that also has a 3" barrel.

Removed the wooden grips, oiled down the metal pretty good, put it in a baggy.
Soaked the holster in warm, almost hot water till it was good and wet.

Tuck the baggy'd gun inside and used the rounded handle end of an old toothbrush to rub the leather to shape.
Left it to dry overnight, removed and cleaned the gun, installed the grips and gave the holster a couple more days to get really dry before using it.

Along with stretching the holster to its new shape, the wet strap stretched enough to fit and retain the gun.

What do you like to use to preserve the leather on your holsters?

Saddle soap seems to bring the less expensive holsters to a more pleasing sheen and appearance after a few years of use.

It is surprising how many good quality holsters you see at pawn shops and gunshops . . . for not too much $$....