Good Defensive LCP Ammo?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

LawMan

Bearcat
I carry Speer Gold Dot in my LCP. I don't have any studies at the moment, but our department issued Speer Gold Dot for our firearms, mostly .40 cal. And since we would shoot our "duty" ammo every 6 months, I was pretty satisfied, so I picked up a box of .380 for my LCP. Spendy though, although alot of ammo is at this time.

If you go to Speers website and pull up a particular caliber, it will give you some tests that were performed with that caliber, barrel length, velocity, etc.

Take Care

slippingaway

Blackhawk
gatorhugger did a lot of testing, but some people would never stop complaining about his methods or conclusions, so I think he ended up taking the whole thing down from here. IIRC, one of the best performers he found were Remington Golden Sabers. That's all I carry in my LCP.

geroge12go

Bearcat
Jettubby":140l0ex8 said:
(most penetrating) defense ammo for the LCP?

that would be the FMJ.. but that is for the most penetration not necessarily the most stopping power which is what you want. That is a can of worms I don't care to stray into.. Just google Best .380 defensive ammo and you will find so many opinions you will forget to form one of your own ;-) good luck

I carry 102gr Golden Sabers as well. Did really well in the test mentioned before. Corbon DPX is supposed to be pretty prized as well.

Bigboreshooter

Single-Sixer
Though I've not done any actual testing (other than function), the Hornady Critical Defense ammo looks very promising. Hornady's website shows some ballistics testing with good penetration even after passing through heavy clothing.

So far, it has functioned flawlessly in my LCP.

P1010047-1.jpg

gatorhugger

Blackhawk
slippingaway":rp7on6cd said:
gatorhugger did a lot of testing, but some people would never stop complaining about his methods or conclusions, so I think he ended up taking the whole thing down from here. IIRC, one of the best performers he found were Remington Golden Sabers. That's all I carry in my LCP.

True, you cannot go wrong with the Golden sabers. Being the heaviest 380 bullet, they will reliably expand and penetrate up to 10-12 inches of fat, and muscle.
It's as good as it gets in .380 and all I carry. Especially now that Buffalo Bore did away with their gold dot bullets.
Plus the Golden Sabers are rounded for feeding and reliability. THE most important thing.

Right now they are a bit hard to find, and the flavor of the moment is
the Hornady critical defense. It has a cool name and for all I know probably work fine. Most work fine, not much difference in the premium brands.
You can find lots of tests on KTOG where they are still up and listed under a sticky. Just google KTOG 380 tests. Some of mine were the "mother of all 380 ammo tests", and " the great .380 chicken test."

kraigster414

Bearcat
This happens to be one of the better .380 ammo threads of late:

http://elsiepeaforum.com/forum/index.php?topic=4638.0

There is a plethora of ballistic data on the internet, ripe for the picking. But at the end of the day, a .380 is a .380 and whenever possible, a larger caliber is recommended for optimum personal defense. But as the cliche goes, a .380 in your pocket is better than the .45 you left at home. 'Just realize the limitations of this caliber.

If I had my druthers, my preference would be for a 100 grain FMJ (or hard cast) flat nose standard pressure round (or between you and me, NTE 5-7 percent over the SAAMI maximum) that I could fire often without fear of damage to the gun or to the shooter (BB's PSI reportedly exceeds SAAMI specs by 16 percent or +/-25,000 PSI according to what Mountain Gator was told by BB and was later posted at the LCP Forum. Had Buffalo Bore done this from the start rather than going down the risky and controversial +P route, I think they would have been better off, both from a liability and customer satisfaction basis - my opinion only.

Reliable/consistent hollow point expansion is the product of many factors and in the case of the .380 it cannot be depended upon - MV is just too darn slow. When you come right down to it, all of the .380 factory hollow point loads are pretty much the same - none of them come close to replicating the energy and effectiveness of the next caliber up for defense: the 9mm. Emphasis instead should be placed on feed reliability and practice. But if given a choice, I too like the .380 Golden Saber because of its heavier bullet, ditto for the Hornady Critical Defense because it seems to feed reliably in virtually every pocket gun.

Jettubby

Bearcat
gatorhugger,
I remember your tests and have been using the Golden Sabres ever since. Yes they are hard to find and since I like to practice every once in a while with my carry ammo, the GS's are becoming a difficult choice.

Lawman,
I also use Golddots in my duty firearm. Like em a lot but haven't seen any testing done with their .380s. They should however be reliable which is half the battle.

The Hornady critical defence looks good but it would be nice to see some tests especially comparing to the GS's and Golddots. These two are hard to find.

I'd use Full Metal Jacket for practice and just empty my carry ammo about once a month.

My choice, even though I have no data to say if it is better or worse, is Georgia Arms Gold Dots. I had the experience of seeing what a 40 cal round of these does to a gallon milk jug full of water a few years back.

LawMan

Bearcat
Jettubby,

I agree, I have not seen any tests for the .380 other than the manufacture website. I based my decision on the reliablity of the .40 ammo. We would shoot expired vests sometimes and I also shot my firearm (.40 Glock) into a ballistic barrel/trap and liked what I saw with that caliber. So I figured that their .380 ammo would hold true to their standards. But I don't have an "official" test.

I would like to get some Hornady .380 ammo, however I can not find any locally without ordering online, and I don't want pay extra for shipping.....

Take Care

Latest posts