Gone to the Church of the Holy Black, Traditions flintlock

Help Support Ruger Forum:

David LaPell

Blackhawk
I wasn't planning on getting another muzzleloader, but I went into my local gun shop last month and they had a Traditions Tennessee .50 caliber, and being a flintlock, something you don't see on the shelves up here pretty much ever. The gun had never been fired, the previous owner apparently snapped the flint a couple of times, that was about it. It's clean as a whistle and the shop owner wasn't even happy another employee took it in because they knew it would be a hard sell here, since most people hunt with inlines.

I ended up getting the gun for about half what they went for knew, so I couldn't pass it up. I had to find black powder though, no one up here sells it and even ordering it was tricky finding someone who didn't want a large minimum of how many pounds. I just wanted one pound, plenty for me so I got some FFFG Goex and I used that for the main and priming charge. Ignition was flawless for all four rounds I fired, these at 30 yards.
I was using 60 grains and a .490" roundball with a .010" patch.

The rifle shot a little high, it weighs practically nothing, about 6 pounds and with it's 24-inch barrel is very handy. It shoots a bit high, the sights are pretty basic on this gun, you can't change elevation, but if I aim just below the bullseye, that plugged it dead center. The fourth shot, where it was just starting to get sticky, was to the left of the bullseye. I was considering retiring one of my muzzleloaders that needs an overhaul, but I like this gun so much, it's going to replace it. It will be the first year, or ever that I have hunted with a flintlock and I haven't messed with one in more than 20 years, but this thing is a ton of fun and where I live in the brush, I can't imagine needing a shot more than 100 yards and the .50 roundball should do everything I need it to.

pxVRpUx.jpg

cFLWHYA.jpg