Gold leaf problem

Help Support Ruger Forum:

I was cleaning my various Bearcats and when I got to my ROCS model I notices that the gold leaf appears to be 'dissolving' for lack of a better expletive. Wonder if anyone else has seen this? This is also posted on the ROCS site

kk4xnsxl.jpg

hittman

Staff member
What cleaner did you use?
I often wondered how durable the gold was on commemoratives …. Guess now we know. :(

What a shame.

I was just wiping them with a dry old cotton "T" shirt. The discoloration was there before I actually did anything. My plan was to 'dust' then lightly oil. I hadn't gotten to start the oil part yet.

hittman

Staff member
Wonder if there's been any other instances and if there's a warranty.

Air-cooled

Single-Sixer
It's no good now, that's what your eye will see every time you pick it up. And getting it re-leafed would probably cost as much as a standard Bearcat, even if it could be done. Perhaps Ruger can advise...they may have extras in the storehouse, or can refer you to who did the original.

hittman

Staff member
May be a fairly simple fix too. Didn't Tyler do those? Wonder if he can rub that off and reapply it? You suppose those are like a "sticker" that's applied?

I try to wipe down all my guns with a Pro Shot Silicone Cloth when I put them in the safe. Started doing that after a friend pulled out a prized revolver only to find out that months ago when he put it away, he left a thumb print and it left a stain on the bluing.

If it were mine I'd either get it fixed or completely remove it.

Rocdoc

Buckeye
Ruger dosn't have them, these were a Lipseys order the ROCS guys commisioned. They took delivery on all of them. If I recall, it was Barron who did the embellishment