Gold Label

Help Support Ruger Forum:

bnewberry

Single-Sixer
My day is ruined too.

I wanted a Gold Label and decided to wait a year or so for them to work out any bugs because I was sure that this gun was going to be such a big hit that it would be produced for years to come.

rugerfreak

Single-Sixer
I would own one if they would have brought it out when it showed up in the catalog---I had the money and interest.

Waiting 5 years---I moved on.

Coop

Blackhawk
Saw my first one, a prototype in Phoenix, at a national shooting match. Took six years, but I finally got one.

CurtGoldLabel.jpg

Coop

chet15

Hawkeye
Desert Dawg":o40el1et said:
Why were they discontinued?

Manufacturing costs too high?

Demand not enough?

A nice shotgun indeed.

I'd heard that Rugers barrels were too thin, so they had to be real careful about soldering the filler strip in between the barrels. I don't remember the numbers now, but something like only 1 in 4 sets of barrels would stay together.
Their wood to receiver fit was also terrible in my opinion. Last time I saw one on Ruger's trade show display, the gap at the receiver/buttstock juncture was about 1/16". Ruger shouldn't have even had that gun in front of the public!. At the same show S&W had their turkish over under and side by side prototypes out and the wood to metal fit on those looked perfect.
The gold label came out at a bad time too. WBR, JR. was more interested in quantity instead of quality and it really hurt that company. This is when the crap really hit the fan and Ruger's Board of Directors decided to start changing things.
Chet15

Coop

Blackhawk
I saw my first Ruger Gold Label as a prototype in AZ at a National Shooting match in 2000 or 2001. It took me 6 years to finally get one.

The fit and finish on my Gold Label is stunning. You can see it on my previous post on this thread. I have no idea what chet15 saw to support his/her comment. Nonetheless, I suspect the Ruger Gold Label is history. Too bad.

Coop

mike7mm08

Buckeye
I had two gold labels wood to metal fit was average at best. The barrels were the problem. I was told by a ruger rep at the 2006 NRA convention it was strictly cosmetic. Some of the gold labels had a visible seam were the monoblock joined the barrels. On one of mine if you held it just right you could see it. I was told that numerous barrels where rejected because of this. The most likely solution to the problem was to do some type of engraving over the seam. Which is what I was told the plan was on future gold labels. But who knows what the real story is. I doubt there are any design flaws with the gold label. I am sure a recall would of been put out if there was. Suspect it was just not profitable and there were to many little issues to address to make it profitable. I still have one of my gold labels. Nice gun but I think it could of been a even greater gun.