Going to try deer hunting with a .30 Carbine

Help Support Ruger Forum:

I've never hunted with a handgun. Hunted for decades with a blackpowder Hawken rifle so know how to get close, but for some reason never used a handgun.
This year I'm hoping to break that trend, and use my .30 Carbine Blackhawk. I mounted a Burris Fast Fire II on it, and still need to sight it in. I even bought a new set of ear muffs that allow you to hear until you shoot. I do NOT want to fire this thing without any ear protection! LOUD!!!
My property is in the Ozarks, with lots of woods, so shots are fairly close. I think the longest shot I ever made here was 66 yards. So I'm betting the .30 Carbine will work great!
Anyone else hunting with a .30 Carbine?

Attachments

• IMG_3771.jpg
    IMG_3771.jpg
    857.5 KB · Views: 106

contender

Ruger Guru
I've been a handgun deer hunter since the mid 1980's. It never gets old. I've never used a .30 Carbine,, but with the right bullet, and correct shot placement,, and knowing your limitations,, I don't see why you can't use it!

Did you D&T the topstrap for that Burris mount?

I've been a handgun deer hunter since the mid 1980's. It never gets old. I've never used a .30 Carbine,, but with the right bullet, and correct shot placement,, and knowing your limitations,, I don't see why you can't use it!

Did you D&T the topstrap for that Burris mount?
I didn't drill and tap it. This is a Weigand no drill mount. I want to keep it original.

Biggfoot44

Blackhawk
Well , E Keith used the ballistically identical .32-20 with Elmer Handloads . The gist of his interpretation was that it could be fatal on big game , but was markedly inferior to larger bores .

So , if it is legal in your area , and you are so inclined , it would be best within Bow Range , with very careful placement .

JStacy

Blackhawk
I have killed three deer with a 30C , all shots less than 75 yards. I killed two with a 30C Blackhawk and one with a 30C Contender 10" barrel. I used the Speer 110 FNHP loaded max with H110 and Remington 71/2primer. . The shots were low through the chest and made a 3/4" exit hole and all of the deer ran 50 yards or less. I have also killed a couple with a 357 and it did a better job. Test your shooting skills at various ranges and find the max distance you can hit a 4-5" circle off hand . That should be your max distance you would shoot at a deer. I do not know if the Speer bullet is still available , but your bullet choice will be critical to good bullet performance. Maybe the Hornady 90 grain XTP ? You can probably start the 110 out at 1600 or so and I am not sure it would work well at less than 1200 or so. Good luck.

Mom's Cousin was a Marine in the Pacific campaign(lots of close range combat) and was a fan of the .30 carbine. We lived within a mile cross country and you could always tell when he saw a deer--the multiple tiny "POPS" of his carbine was notable. He commented once on the effectiveness of the carbine "It held lots of shells cause you had to shoot 'stuff' several times". He also commented about emptying the mag every time he saw a Jap.
Dad on the other hand was a Veteran of the European campaign(more open terrain and longer range combat) and had little use for the 'carbine'. He called it "A worthless appendage of even more worthless officers".
An older guy who worked for me was a Korean Conflict Veteran(both longer range combat and close range frontal assaults) as an AG for a 50 cal. His comments were "I carried a 30 Carbine cause I wasn't very good with a .45 pistol and the carbine held lots more shells".

buckeyeshooter

Blackhawk
I've never hunted with a handgun. Hunted for decades with a blackpowder Hawken rifle so know how to get close, but for some reason never used a handgun.
This year I'm hoping to break that trend, and use my .30 Carbine Blackhawk. I mounted a Burris Fast Fire II on it, and still need to sight it in. I even bought a new set of ear muffs that allow you to hear until you shoot. I do NOT want to fire this thing without any ear protection! LOUD!!!
My property is in the Ozarks, with lots of woods, so shots are fairly close. I think the longest shot I ever made here was 66 yards. So I'm betting the .30 Carbine will work great!
Anyone else hunting with a .30 Carbine?
In the state of Ohio, handguns must be .357 diameter of larger. 30 Carbine is illegal.

JCK

Single-Sixer
The Speer 110gr FNHP over 14.5gr of H110 will do the trick.
Shot placement is the key.
Same as with a .45/70!

RC44Mag

Buckeye
I have two WWII carbines and gave some though to deer hunting with one of them but decided against it. Bad knee at this time and tracking a wounded deer for some distances isn't something I'm itching to do. A few inches outside the sweet spot with the carbine rnd and he'll be scooting, with a .308 the shock will usually knock them down even without a perfect shot. I'll stick with my .308 for much better chance of a very short track if at all.

Last edited: