Going "retro" with the #1

Help Support Ruger Forum:

tss106

Single-Sixer
Here's a shot of my older #1-AB 30-06 wearing a vintage Weaver K4 (older version where the crosshairs don't stay centered when adjusted). The 3-9x40 I had on it previously just looked too big....., I'm gonna give this combo a try - I figure this setup can "do it all" for me!

A

Anonymous

Good looking rig. I guess I didn't realize any of the weavers with the modern sized turrets weren't permanently centered. I have a K4 Micro track that I bought 2nd hand which has been my main hunting scope for at least 25 years. It"s been on several different rifles. It's little brother a K2.5 , has been a yeoman scope too. It is just beginning a new life on my buddy's #1 450-400. I know a bunch of people like to carp on the old weavers but they were great scopes.

rugerjunkie

Buckeye
That is a very nice looking set up!! A classy , not overly done look. Have you sighted it in? I am curious as to how close to center the crosshairs are?

Itchy":19tl7sgf said:
I know a bunch of people like to carp on the old weavers but they were great scopes.

Weaver was "the" scope for a long time along with the old Redfield line. I am too young to be from that era but have several of them myself. I actually prefer that most people keep snubbing them because that makes them cheaper for me!! I have blued in a K6-F fine crosshair , and a K4 standard duplex. And the later built true stainless steel bodied scopes in K4-S duplex (2 - with one being a straight tube shotgun style) , P4-S duplex , and a P2-S duplex. The P series being pistol scopes.

I think the quality after the mid 80's buyout of Weaver went downhill for a long time but with the new Grand Slam and Super Slam scopes they are definitely back. I also have several of those and they are top notch. Everyone insists you must have a Leupold but I get as much scope at half the price. Leupolds are decent but you are paying a lot for a name like buying Nike's!

tss106

Single-Sixer
Thanks for the complements......, nope, haven't sighted it in yet. I did bore-sight it the old fashioned way and the reticles ended up pretty much centered. Might head over to the range tomorrow if the cold wind dies down a little. I have a couple other Weavers on the way, a K2.5 and another K4 (both have reticles that stay centered). I'm gonna play around with a few other rifles as well.

dakota1911

Buckeye
Nice gun and with new, different, scopes you should find the problem. I still run some old scopes. The work O.K. out to 200 yards or so.

Bozack

Single-Sixer
I wish more companies made single powered scopes. I have a Simmons 4x on my Model 99 and think it is perfect for hunting.