going "green" on my old 22/45

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Well, maybe green (or maybe red) depending on which color dot the other guy wants to keep but I'm hoping for green. Friend of friend has a couple of name brand dot optics that he's selling at a very modest price and I spoke for the one my friend doesn't want.
I've been having difficulties with sight alignment w & w/o glasses under certain conditions but didn't want to spend $200+ for a FastFire to mount on a beater pistol nor did I want to waste a lesser amount on an el-cheapo sight that would not perform. This deal gets me into a good sight @ 1/3 the cost of the cost of a decent sight.
Last week I tried an old green dot I had on the shelf and liked the results--up to the point where the sight failed and bullets started scattering all over the target.
Once I get the optic mounted, I can fit a leather sight protector to the holster as I did for the FastFire on the suppressor host 22/45.

I did end up with a green dot and have it mounted. Hoping tomorrow has some slack in the rain so I can get at least a rough zero and test run. Looks like I may have to modify another holster to provide the necessary level of protection for the optic. Maybe even remove the front blade and plug the screw hole since I won't need it. That would give the old SS 22/45 a sort of "space gun" look.

Results of the test firing/zeroing process were good. The "brand name" optic turned out to be an ADE rather than the hoped for Burris/Sig/Holosun but it's an OK product. Very little fuzz/blur/flare with or w/o glasses. Adjustments are a bit hitchy but it's a 22 so I'm no complaining about a little jumping around while adjusting POI.
I'm shooting up the tail end of a case of Remington HV that I'd given Dad and he's been gone for 31 years. We'd been noticing a "light report" now and then for the past couple years so this ammo isn't topnotch by any means. With that in mind, I feel the overall results may have been compromised but not terrible. The dot certainly improved my ease of holding on target and I had no problem printing 3 shot groups under 1" @ 25 yards using a sandbag under the muzzle. Better ammo and lighting might improve that a bit. I finished off the second partial box of ammo making the 25 yard 2" swingers dance. Nothing to complain about.