Gnarly sambar stags on an Old Model SBH

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Wyatt Burp

Bearcat
Wow! After years with log in issues I managed to get back on Ruger Forum. My nephew gave me these great sambar stags with lots of bark. As beautiful as they are, I was assuming they would shred my hand shooting mags in it, but they felt great. Being left handed the real rough part on the lower right side cause no problems whatsoever. I really loved those sheep horn grips on laying there (I think that's what they are), but since the stags were a gift I can never sell them. But stag is my favorite, anyway. Pictured with my favorite Single Six. Marked .22 Mag with spare cylinder, of course
1649118824733.png

1649118869039.png

Last edited:

Epoch

Bearcat
That's a fantastic set of grips right there. You don't often find such nice bark on such a nicely matched set as those!

contender

Ruger Guru
Nice ones there!

I had a friend who came to me decades ago. He had a Super Blackhawk with a set of stags that looked VERY similar to those. He hated shooting his .44 with those grips. I had a spare pair of smooth factory grips & he swapped me even for them. I kept them in my stuff for a long time,, until one day I decided that I knew I'd never use them, and let them move to a new home.
For looks,, real stag has an appeal.
For my PERSONAL preferences, I love aged ivory first,, followed by Bighorn or Dall sheep for both looks AND shooting comfort.

noahmercy

Blackhawk
Excellent! There's definitely something about sambar and Old Models...my 1956 Single Six had some fairly nice ones on it when I got it 20 years ago.

Attachments

• rugerss.jpg
    rugerss.jpg
    519.3 KB · Views: 70
  • rugerss1.jpg
    rugerss1.jpg
    591.4 KB · Views: 70

Diabloman

Single-Sixer
Does anyone have an old set of SBH grips that measure 3 3/16 inches tall. My DA BIL dropped my Bhk and cracked the LEFT side all to Heck! Trade for the LH grip? price/pair?
Thanks