Glock-gen.4 major malfunctioning!

Help Support Ruger Forum:

revhigh

Hawkeye
3LD,

I glanced through the thread, and it seems to me that it was ONE Glock that was obviously never cleaned and was being limp-wristed. From that you extrapolate that 'the new 9MM Glocks are jam-o-matics' ???

Just in the interest of fairness, that's a pretty big jump isn't it ??

Trust me ... Glock didn't screw up a slightly redesigned 17. Guaranteed.

REV

tkarter

Single-Sixer
Sounds like it will get the same rep as the P95:D

The Gen 4 Glocks have a stiffer recoil spring in them. Of course they can be limp wristed easier than the older ones.

tk

revhigh

Hawkeye
Actually tk, the theory is that with the stiffer recoil spring, limp-wristing will have less of a chance to affect cycling. The stiffer spring 'supposedly' increases cycling speed (and strength) so that a limp wrist will have less effect on the gun's cycle.

Not sure if this will work in practice as opposed to theory.

Not sure what rep you're talking about the P95 having, but you can be assured that there's nothing wrong with the new Glock. I have a friend who can't touch a 1911 without it failing, no matter whose gun it is. He'll get a failure out of every single mag he shoots with my Gold Cups, and I can pick up the same gun and shoot 1000 rounds without a glitch.

Maybe it's chemistry ??

BTW, if you read the rest of the Glock thread, you'll see that after the person cleaned the gold lube off which comes on the gun, which should ALWAYS be cleaned off a Glock before shooting, that the gun ran fine, so it turned out that there was nothing wrong with it at all, other than the owner trying to shoot a gun full of packing grease.

REV

tkarter

Single-Sixer
Maybe. I think the P95 is pretty well known for the first time shooter to limp wrist.

And so it a Glock. I have seen plenty of G19s limp wristed. Then folks learn how to properly grip the pistol and it goes bang every time.

I laugh at the change ammo suggestion. There isn't any 9mm that won't fit in a Glock chamber that I have seen.

tk

revhigh

Hawkeye
tkarter":3dx2yqvk said:
I think the P95 is pretty well known for the first time shooter to limp wrist.

tk

Never knew that tk ... but I think ALL autos are subject to that to some degree ...

I agree also that ammo, especially factory ammo, wouldn't cause an issue in a Glock. Maybe ultra super light reloads, but generally not factory ammo.

REV

3leggeddog

Single-Sixer
revhigh":2kqb95nr said:
tkarter":2kqb95nr said:
I think the P95 is pretty well known for the first time shooter to limp wrist.

tk

Never knew that tk ... but I think ALL autos are subject to that to some degree ...

I agree also that ammo, especially factory ammo, wouldn't cause an issue in a Glock. Maybe ultra super light reloads, but generally not factory ammo.

REV

I did hear that a Glock rept. told a fellow that their hearing back some reports of this . i'm not trying to bash Glock, just passing along what I read! I'd give it a few weeks ,to see how this plays out.

revhigh

Hawkeye
3leggeddog":23pw6nle said:
I did hear that a Glock rept. told a fellow that their hearing back some reports of this . i'm not trying to bash Glock, just passing along what I read! I'd give it a few weeks ,to see how this plays out.

I don't doubt that you heard that 3LD, it's certainly possible it's true, although I doubt it. The only reason I responded was because the first post, as well as the title, was written with such GLEE that a GLOCK somehow had post-release problems. Would that somehow mitigate all of the problems that Ruger's had with their recent new releases ?

Either way ... we shall see what we shall see ....

REV

Yosemite Sam

Hunter
revhigh":3i3zb9ho said:
3leggeddog":3i3zb9ho said:

I don't doubt that you heard that 3LD, it's certainly possible it's true, although I doubt it. The only reason I responded was because the first post, as well as the title, was written with such GLEE that a GLOCK somehow had post-release problems. Would that somehow mitigate all of the problems that Ruger's had with their recent new releases ?

REV
Not to sound like too much of a fanboi (I'm not, honest), but I would also point out that, despite the glee with which this was reported, it also did not come from "the Glock website", as reported.

GlockTalk is about as reliable source of information as, oh, SigForum or RugerForum. Sure, there is good info in there, but there's also a lot of cruft from people who don't like change, hate the new models, think the company can do nothing right (or nothing wrong, in some cases), etc, etc.

But, never let mere logic stand in the way of a good Glock bashing... Don't worry though; They can take it. :D

-- Sam

Mike J

Hunter
I'm sure if there is a problem they will get it straightened out.
Seeing stuff like this reminds me of my Dad. He worked in the service department of Ford dealers for years. He started off being the new car get ready guy-wound up as a service manager before he went into business for himself. His advice was to never buy the first year production of a new model car.
I guess thats the price for getting latest & greatest is getting to play beta tester.

3leggeddog

Single-Sixer
revhigh":3ifatz5h said:
3leggeddog":3ifatz5h said:

REV

Rev, my post has nothing to do with Ruger issues, for the record I've complained about my SR9 here more than once. Your way off base on the "mitigate" Ideal. I guest I have to be carefull about what I post when it comes to Glock. :D Ill look for the link for the fellow that reported what he heard ,I dont want you to think I made this up...
found it :
http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=501003
It seem that there more than one thing /combinations that cause this

Full Metal Jacket

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:
called Glock earlier and someone in the tech dept had told him that they are already getting reports of malfunctioning Gen 4's and that they think that the new double spring mechanism combined with unremoved anti seize lube, combined with weaker than usual ammunition, and even the smallest amount of "limp wristing" can cause failures to feed. I KNOW. If I was reading this from one of you...I would be calling BS. But this is absolutely true.

Quote:
Now they design a new stronger recoil spring for the .40 and put it in the 9mm and make it marginally functional with weak ammo and less than perfect grip...

revhigh

Hawkeye
Don't worry about it 3LD, it's just that your OP seemed to have such a sense of glee about the Glock malf, and then I saw your sig line had SR9 in it ... I read more into it than was there, and for that I apologize. I'm sorry about that.

I don't think you made anything up, never crossed my mind. I'd like to see it if you can find it, simply because it would interest me ... we be cool, 3LD ! :D

REV

tkarter

Single-Sixer
What about the grip and the new spring Rev? The stiffer the spring yeah the softer the recoil pulse but also take more time to open and therefore much easier to limp wrist.

Soft loads just jam.

tk

revhigh

Hawkeye
We just gotta wait to see what really shakes out tk ... it's really too early to tell and we're all just speculating.

MORE time to OPEN, but LESS time to CLOSE, my guess is Glock had it figured out ... we'll see ...

REV

tkarter

Single-Sixer
As far as the Glock goes yes we wait and see.
Limp wristing is not hanging on tight enough for the slide to open all the way on anything it happens on.

tk

3leggeddog

Single-Sixer
revhigh":epu0xs5d said:
Don't worry about it 3LD, it's just that your OP seemed to have such a sense of glee about the Glock malf, and then I saw your sig line had SR9 in it ... I read more into it than was there, and for that I apologize. I'm sorry about that.

I don't think you made anything up, never crossed my mind. I'd like to see it if you can find it, simply because it would interest me ... we be cool, 3LD ! :D

REV

A big thanks for clearing this up- :D

Leucoandro

Single-Sixer
Every firearm has issues.

Rev, did you ever read through the link I sent you about the Sig P226? It indicates an issue with the older style trigger return spring. Also some of the pins or springs will break, Topgunsupply.com sells a little kit of the parts that most commonly break. I suspect that if you replace all the springs as often as sig suggest though you should have no problem (Sig owners manual suggest every 3,000-5000 rounds dependent on the spring).

Anyways I think that Sig overplays that a bit to sell more springs. I might replace the springs on my P220 before using it as a SD gun though. On my P226, I am switching to the newer style trigger return spring that should prevent the spring causing issues with the frame. I am also putting the new style mainspring on the gun so I can put the newer grips on.

I have been thinking of a glock myself. Actually I have been thinking about a few. I have mainly been thinking about either a Glock 19 or Glock 33. If I got the 19, then it would really be just for the range. If I got the Glock 33, it would be a SD gun.

I already have Two Ruger SP101's and the Sig P220 I could use for SD guns, so I am leaning away from the Glock 33. What I would really like is a Compact Glock (Like the 19 or 38.) in 45ACP.

That being said, Glock being like any other gun, it has flaws too.
http://www.thegunzone.com/glock/problems.html

And Sometimes people do get Lemons
http://www.perfectunion.com/vb/showpost ... stcount=15

Charlie

revhigh

Hawkeye
Leucoandro":2aajas55 said:
Rev, did you ever read through the link I sent you about the Sig P226? It indicates an issue with the older style trigger return spring. Also some of the pins or springs will break, Topgunsupply.com sells a little kit of the parts that most commonly break.

Hi Charlie,

I did read it, but I won't bother changing them, because my 226 is just a range gun. If it breaks, I'll replace it then. It doesn't get much shooting anyway.

REV

Leucoandro

Single-Sixer
revhigh":35dv7n0z said:
Hi Charlie,

I did read it, but I won't bother changing them, because my 226 is just a range gun. If it breaks, I'll replace it then. It doesn't get much shooting anyway.

REV

Rev, I was talking about how the old style trigger bar spring eats through the frame. Check the below link. It is about half way down the page. You will see a picture of the right side of the P226 with the grip off.

http://www.cybershooters.org/dgca/sig-sauer_p226.htm

That is why I upgraded my P226 to the new trigger return spring. Putting the new Trigger Return Spring on also ment that I had to move to the new style grips. Putting on the new style grips ment that I had to change to the new style Mainspring and Mainspring seat.

Charlie

***Edit to add. I am still trying to decide if I should change out the springs and pins on my P220 before I use it for CC. The handgun really looks like it was carried a lot and shot very little.