Glock 38 Purchase

Help Support Ruger Forum:

TruthNotRelative

Single-Sixer
Ok people, I know that in a earlier post I told of a S&W M&P 357 sig purchase, well that "fell through". I just PAID for a Glock 38 (Done deal this time). I opted for the GAP rather than the nine because, well, $389, not a bad price NIB. I'll have to wait for shipment, 10 friggin' day waiting period etc. before I can share actualling POSSESING the thing.

bigbore45colt

Hunter
Truth, you will enjoy that 38. I absolutely love mine and it has been a great carry gun. My 38 prefers 200 gr loads, while my 39 prefers 230 gr.

I carry the Speer Gold Dots in my 38, and it has proven extremely accurate.

Enjoy it!

BB45C

22/45 Fan

Hunter
ArmedinAZ":38yrqo96 said:
TruthNotRelative":38yrqo96 said:
Anybody else wanna chime in about the G38?

Check the price of 45 GAP ammo? Yeow :shock:
Not just cost but availability may also be a problem as the round never caught on and it's going to be an orphan fairly soon. Not that components won't be available, they just won't be easy to find (or pay for).

I'd buy a large amount of new brass right away and keep it on hand. Primers, bullets, powder will be easy to find for the indefinite future as they are all the same as for the .45 ACP but brass will be increasing difficult to get.

The low NIB price for the gun was for a good reason.

redsouthpaw

Bearcat
TruthNotRelative":2sdsi92n said:
Anybody else wanna chime in about the G38?
I love mine. been carrying it for 5 years. I haven't looked at the price of ammo for it because I reload, but I can't imagine it is cheap, but what is anymore. If you reload, it uses the same dies and shell holder as the ACP. Same bullets but small pistol primer.

Pops 1

Single-Sixer
Several State Police unites have gone to the 45 GAP. I don't think the 45 GAP is going any place but up in the number of people using it.

stare-decisis

Single-Sixer
Not just cost but availability may also be a problem as the round never caught on and it's going to be an orphan fairly soon. Not that components won't be available, they just won't be easy to find (or pay for).

I'd buy a large amount of new brass right away and keep it on hand. Primers, bullets, powder will be easy to find for the indefinite future as they are all the same as for the .45 ACP but brass will be increasing difficult to get.
People were saying the same things about .41 magnum and 10mm. How many police Depts use those 2 calibers? 45 GAP hasn't set the world on fire but its not going away either.

TruthNotRelative

Single-Sixer
I know that the GAP isn't popular, I've been reading good things about it however and it's not going to be a range gun so I won't be shooting it more than I have to. Once I get a 100+ rounds through her and get the feel for it I'll practice with dry firing etc. and hit the range with it when I feel I need to. It'll be the house gun. The 89 will be the "range" weapon. I like the things I've been reading about it and the negatives I've read don't carry as much weight as the positive reviews. I wanted to get a Glock without having to wait to long so the price just to get the gun was worth it to me. It was either save my pennies for a long while and get the G19 eventually, or have a Glock in hand right NOW and start getting to know Glock pistols etc. And it's going to be a keeper no matter how "hard" it is to find ammo etc. or how "popular" the gap is, I don't really care. I have read that the gap is cheaper to produce than the acp (ammo), so, when/if it catches on in the civilian world.. blah blah. I've heard of more departments switching over to the gap and like I said I've read really favorable reviews on the gap. In any case, she'll be staying with me. Now I'd like to get my hands on the 4th generation Glock. (4th right?). So, if anyone has any insight on how to win the lottery, please advise :D So, again, some people seem to hate the gap (I'm not sure I agree with the reasoning), some people love it, I have a feeling I will be in the latter group :wink: BTW, thanks for all the responses, especially the favorable ones. Airwin, wanna chime in????

drew76

Bearcat
I know there are cheaper places than Midway to buy ammo but I went there for a comparison anyway. It seems that much of the 45 GAP ammo is cheaper than 45 ACP though ammo selection is far more limited. In the case of the popular Win white box stuff it was over $50 difference for 500 rounds! I suppose that could all change if the GAP becomes semi-obsolete in the future and I'm not getting into trying to point out pros/cons of the round but was kind of surprised at the price comparison so thought I'd share.

Speer Gold Dot Ammunition 45 ACP 185 Grain Jacketed Hollow Point Box of 20
Product #: 401884
Our Price: $24.99

Speer Gold Dot Ammunition 45 ACP +P 200 Grain Jacketed Hollow Point Box of 20
Product #: 636613
Our Price: $23.99

DoubleTap Ammunition 45 ACP 230 Grain Bonded Defense Jacketed Hollow Point Box of 50
Product #: 425735
Our Price: $43.49

Winchester USA Ammunition 45 ACP 230 Grain Jacketed Hollow Point Case of 500 (10 Boxes of 50)
Product #: 183233
Our Price: $310.99

---------------------------------------------------------
Speer Gold Dot Ammunition 45 GAP 185 Grain Jacketed Hollow Point Box of 20
Product #: 278055
Our Price: $24.99

Speer Gold Dot Ammunition 45 GAP 200 Grain Jacketed Hollow Point Box of 20
Product #: 583728
Our Price: $22.99

DoubleTap Ammunition 45 GAP 230 Grain Bonded Defense Jacketed Hollow Point Box of 50
Product #: 821546
Our Price: $41.13

Winchester USA Ammunition 45 GAP 230 Grain Full Metal Jacket Case of 500 (10 Boxes of 50)
Product #: 648412
Our Price: $258.99

airwin

Bearcat
Hi Truth, congrats to your interesting decision! I didn´t think you will buy a G 38. The .45 GAP is still not a common round, but it has some important advantages and so I´m sure it will get more popular in future. Grip size of G 19 and G 38 is the same and when shooting it, I think it will feel like an overpowered G 19. I´m curious about your first report about it.

Latest posts