Glock 26 vs. Ruger SR9c vs. S&W M&P9c

Help Support Ruger Forum:

chuck pullen

Bearcat
I am looking to buy a sub-compact (for lack of a better term) 9mm for IWB carry and have so far narrowed my choice down to these three pistols. I own a full size version of each, so I'm familiar with and like each platform. Each has its pros. Here is how I size them up so far:

Glock 26-smallest of the three in every dimension. Glock reliability. Accessories abound. Not the best-looking of the bunch, but I like the way Glocks look. Again, there's that Glock reliability.

Ruger SR9c-largest in every dimension. Questions about barrel peening and lousy trigger due to full size SR9 issues on some guns. My full size has been fine but the trigger does need work. The biggest positives are a great-feeling grip and this, in my opinion, is the best looking of the three.

S&W M&P9c-this one splits the difference between the Glock and the Ruger size-wise in virtually every dimension. Plus, it's a Smith and I've always had VERY good luck with all my Smith and Wessons. Plus their customer service is second to none. The changeable backstraps are a plus. This is the capacity champ, w/ 12 rounds standard. Pretty cool looking too.

The prices on these here are pretty equal. I like them all, but I'm really interested in everyone else's experiences with any of these or just your thoughts. Let me know what you think.

CBennett

Single-Sixer
Glock should be reliable but is thick and has a thick grip some people dont like...you also cant normally get your pinky on it some care some dont. i cant use Glocks they dont fit my hand right.

Ruger SR9c the peening...well I have no idea ive not seen it on mine..the trigger is COMPLETELY DIFFERENT from the SR9..in fact its closer to Glock like in its "weight" and almost 2 pounds lighter than the SR9's trigger and thats out of the box not broken in at all...I have heard that the new SR9's will be coming out with this new improved trigger all the SR9c's have its slimmer in grip and slide than the Glock..it actually fits in my hand just fine even without the grip extension I can get my pinky(barley) on the grip. I like the 17 round reload that was a pretty cool idea so while the regular mag is a 10 rounder you get a nice 17 rounder that fits too and fits flush with the grip extension.

S&W M&P Compact..again very nice and a bit more miles on it than the Ruger..for me it would go M&P/Rugersr9c, Glock...and the Ruger drops to #2 only because of its "newness" as its not got the miles and "proven reliability" like Glock and even M&P now that its been out a few years.

and actually as far as prices go Ruger should easily beat the other 2 and by at least $100 the Ruger is around $400-415 out the door the others are at least(at least where I am) $100+ more.

SR9c

Bearcat
If my user name and avatar does not give away my opinion on this subject, I will do it with words. I have owned and shot each of your choices and have owned and shot their full size models as well. If looks matter, the SR9 models are by far the best looking and the ergonomics are as good as any out there. The M&P is 2nd in the looks dept. The Glock is a "Block".
Function. I have had good ones with all models, and my full size SR9 had a horrible trigger too.
I bought a Stainless SR9c this week and my Black one will be in next week. My trigger (SR9c) is as good or better than any striker fired gun I have ever owned, and I have tried them all. It shoots as well as any of the others and better than a lot of them. I'm sold on them, and I plan to buy more as my fixed income allows with plans for one for each car, several for various drawers in the house, plus the one in my front pocket.

So, my vote is for the SR9c...And as far as I am concerned, they can discontinue the full size SR9..The "C" does it all and will work with the 17 rounds to boot, and the grip spacer matches the rest of the grip...

kscott

Single-Sixer
As far as the dimensions go, the Ruger one's for whatever reason, seem to be very misleading. They seem to advertise the pistol as much bigger than it is. For example, spec wise the glock is narrower, but the SR9c grip and slide are both narrower than the glock. The only part wider is across the safety levers on the SR9c which is where they take the measurement.

Vespasian

Bearcat
I have a Baby Glock (the G33 in .357 SIG), and I like it a lot. But I'd be just as happy with the Ruger and S&W you're considering. The Ruger is an attractive pistol and feels great in the hand. It's not blocky like the Glock.

The truth is, I've read about so many failures and successes with every defensive handgun caliber, that I've been giving my aching back a break by carrying my SIG 232 in .380 ACP.

Tom

zbird

Bearcat
My vote is for the SR9c And it's not because I have one and like it very much (100% reliable), Well It may be a little bit of the reason. I do not know nothing about the S&W but I do have a glock 23 I also like it very much. But for carry IWB my personal prefence is to have a manual safty. The SR9c is the first carry gun that I ever had that comes with adjustable sights for both windage and elevation. Now instead of aiming a little higher or lower I adjust my sights, nice

mrkti

Bearcat
I have had a G26 for a long time. Have an LCP also.

I ask myself, if I had a Glock (pick one) and a Ruger (pick one) laying the the table, and some big bad guy was breaking down my door, which would I grab (pistols, not revolvers).

I have 6 or 7 Rugers (wheel guns and the LCP) but I would grab the Glock.

Had two LCP's and sold one unfired after realizing I did not feel totally comfortable. Keep the other one in my truck (no CCW in IL).

Both brands are fine weapons, but years of accumulated data all mixed up my head points me to the Glock.

John

revhigh

Hawkeye
G26 ... not even a tough decision.

IMG_0251.jpg

REV

Al James

Hunter
All prices being equal I vote Glock 26. In my area there is a 80-100 difference between the Ruger and the Glock. $400-$500. As cheap as these plastic guns are I say own 2 or even all 3. Shop a bit and you could probably come in 1300 for all 3. The cost of a kinda tricky 1911.

revhigh

Hawkeye
Yes Ale, it sure is, the only drawback is that it makes it quite a bit larger, you may as well have a 19.

Also, if you buy the mag extension, make sure you get the one I got, which is Pearce, because it matches the grip EXACTLY. The Scherer grip is not as nice and doesn't match perfectly. Also, they are advertised as +2 I believe, but I've only ever been able to get +1 in them.

The PG-2733 used on Glock Model 26, 27, and Model 33. It will add one round to the 27/33 nine round magazines making them ten round capacity. It will add two rounds to the 26 ten round magazine making them twelve round capacity.

Just letting you guys know.

REV

Yosemite Sam

Hunter
My first Glock was the diminutive G36, and by putting the +1 (maybe +2) basepad on the mag it made it as tall as the full size G17 I traded it for.

I currently carry a G30 with the +0 extension that gives you a place for your pinky. Much nicer.

-- Sam

chuck pullen

Bearcat
I think I'm going to stick with the stock mag base plate for the time being. I got the gun, at least in part, for the short grip. Also, I've got big hands but it feels like I could keep a good hold on the 26. We'll see.