glock 17

Help Support Ruger Forum:

sandman228

Single-Sixer
yes I know this is a ruger forum and im a ruger man no doubt but here goes . a few years back I was at a family function and some pumpkin headed weirdo was bragging on his 45 gap so I got to talking guns with the guy and he was pretty arrogant every gun I owned or mentioned his reply was its junk throw it out buy a glock I just kinda played along with the guy I didn't wanna be disrespectful to my sister in laws family so after the conversation was over I just had it in my head I will never own a glock just cause I didn't want to have anything in common with this guy .ive had people in shops try to sell me glocks over the years since then and I wouldn't even hold one in my hands I was dead set against them . so im back at the range the other day shooting some 45 acp from my Blackhawk convertible at about 25 feet and a guy pulls up and says mind if I shoot with you I said sure go ahead . so hes shooting a ruger 22 revolver then pulls out a glock 17 and starts shooting .he was hitting consistently 12to 14 inches low at 7 feet!! well I came to find out the guy has medical issues nerve damage so on . he says to me im trying to shoot up this 9mm ammo hes had a while and asks me if I wanna try out his glock I didn't want to at 1st but I took the gun I went out put up a fresh target at 25 feet walked back to shooting area picked up the glock and let loose with a 17 round mag full and WOW I have to admit I was pleasantly surprised and even impressed .very light weight very nice trigger and very accurate . now I need another 9mm like I need a hole in my head I already own a sr9c and a p95 but im kinda really wanting a glock 17 or maybe even a 19 . i would have to start buying jacketed or plated bullets though i mostly shoot my own cast reloads from my rugers .

WMB30

Single-Sixer
sandman28, I have never had any problems using my cast reloads in a Glock 40 S&W using normal lube. This past year I have started powder coating all calibers that I cast. Suggest you give it a try.

Bill

tinman

Buckeye
I enjoy shooting all of my firearms, but I use a Glock for my EDC. For me, they shoot well and they fit my hands. But the primary reason that I choose the Glock is that none of the others will stand up to the punishment of being sweated on day in and day out year after year with very minimal care.

roylt

Hunter
I too like Ruger and Glock. Just got a 43 but can't hit crap with it. Buddy tempted me with a super deal on a LC9sPro and so I had to get that. Only shot it once but it is nice. Need more range time with both.

So yes Glock is good. But Ruger is too.

If you are right handed I suggest Glock gen 3 with a Hogue grip sleeve. Heck ask the guy if he wants to sell his glock he was shooting if you ever see him again. Sounds like he doesn't want to shoot it much anyway.

Can't go wrong with the combination of solid reliability, durability, accuracy, and parts availability of a Glock. I'm not a Glock fan, but as guns go, you can't go wrong.

Tom W

Blackhawk
I have a Glock 17, 19 , and 30 and all shoot cast just fine. Even like the LC9s Pro that I have, altho it's a hide-out pistol and isn't as accurate to me, yet, as my 17 or 19.

I don't care for Glocks but my reasons are probably just as misguided as yours were. No body needs 'another gun' but for some of us it just seems to happen when we least plan it. I have surpassed my limit by two this year and now it looks like another is on the way. (Oh, and I just realized all three are 9mm)

pjvrefugee

Single-Sixer
bought two Glocks. G20 and G29, (Ruger doesn't make a 10mm semi auto). they are both very impressive weapons, and they fill a void for me. that being said, if Ruger made a 10mm I would sell the glocks and buy the Ruger. the Ruger ergonomics along with their performance just suit me right down to the ground. that is not to detract from the Glock. Glock makes a fine weapon, it is just the Rugers fit ME better. I carry one of the Glocks instead of a .44 magnum revolver when in areas frequented by black bear. 15+1 rounds of 10mm is a lot of firepower!

6gun

Hunter
One of my kids has Glock's and likes them quite well, I've never shot them or had any interest in them, I do know you can buy a after market barrel for shooting cast lead bullets.

My other kid is into Sigs, Both my kids hate Ruger's and think they are junk, they both started out shooting 10/22 rifles when they were little and they were always jamming so that turned them off to Ruger, Ruger saved a few bucks when they cheapened up the 10/22 and went with the cheap receivers but in doing so they drove away at least two life time customers.

6gun

Hunter
loaded round said:
Before anyone calls Ruger's junk, have them take a good hard look at their 1911 series pistols. Still want to call them junk?

Does that look include the ones that rusted? :lol: one bad gun is all it takes to drive a customer off for life that's why Ruger needs to stop slacking on QC.

Myself I love my Ruger's, every hand gun I own is a Ruger. :mrgreen:

loaded round

Hunter
Rusted? How about an explanation.

6gun said:
loaded round said:
Before anyone calls Ruger's junk, have them take a good hard look at their 1911 series pistols. Still want to call them junk?

Does that look include the ones that rusted? :lol: one bad gun is all it takes to drive a customer off for life that's why Ruger needs to stop slacking on QC.

6gun

Hunter
loaded round said:
Rusted? How about an explanation.

6gun said:
loaded round said:

Incase you have not been informed Ruger has been experiencing rust problems with some of their S/S 1911's

LarryBG

Bearcat
I had two Ruger SR1911's and they both rusted. Ruger replaced both of them. None of my other guns have rusted.