Glitch encountered this morning!

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Bob Wright

Hawkeye
I put in a range session this morning, taking this old Super Blackhawk out fo some exercise:

This is a New Model, but my habit is still to load five rounds. As I rotated the cylinder to load the fifth round, it stopped, tight as could be. Now a round had not yet come under the firing pin, so I knew the problem was not a high primer. Well I had to pull the base pin and remove the cylinder. Running my finger over the standing breech, I discovered the problem ~ the firing pin bushing/recoil plate protruded slightly, just enough to stop cylinder rotation, catching the cartridge rim.

I pushed the bushing back with the handle of a screwdriver enough to get a cartridge to seat under the firing pin. With the cylinder back in place, I fired one round, which was enough to seat the firing pin bushing.

At clean-up time, I dry fired the gun and noticed the bushing easing out. I re-seated the bushing, using a 3/8" dia. steel rod wrapped in duct tape. But I needed to stake the thing in place, but how?

Well, I had a small center punch, but not long enough to do any good. The solution? I slid the center punch down the barrel, then inserted the steel rod behind it. Holding the point of the punch on the joint at the perimeter of the firing pin bushing, I struck the rod a sharp blow with a heavy mallet. Good! Got a stake mark at nine o'clock on the frame/bushing joint. One more time put another stake mark at the three o'clock position. The stake marks are smooth enough to allow functioning, yet should hold the bushing in place.

Bob Wright

Hondo44

Hawkeye
You solved it the easiest and quickest way.

The problem is caused by a poor fitting bushing:

The bushing is held in place by a pin that enters thru a hole in the loading 'chute' and exits high on the left side of the recoil shield. The bottom side of the bushing has a groove on an angle that matches the angle of the pin, for that pin to pass thru to retain the bushing. If the groove was cut oversize or sloppy from wear for the pin, it allows the bushing to float forward just as you described.

Bob Wright

Hawkeye
I am very familiar with the installation of that assembly. About ten years ago (and 7,000 rounds) I replaced that firing pin assembly. I did use a new recoil plate at that time.

Here, driving out the pin:

And replacing the pin:

Bob Wright

Luckyducker

Single-Sixer
Hondo44 said:
Only the 71/2" and longer barrels typically have the sq trigger guard.

I guess I have never seen a 7 1/2" new model. I thought they quit the square trigger guard with the OM. Learn something new everyday.

Bob Wright

Hawkeye
Luckyducker said:
Bob, that revolver is kind of hybrid isn't it? Never seen a new model with square back trigger guard!

As Hondo44 said, all 7 1/2" Super Blackhawks have the squared back trigger guard:

The 5" one shown was once a 7 1/2" gun. The other two are .44 Specials, one a Uberti.

Bob Wright

The SBH I've carried for years, started life as a 7-1/2" but had the barrel cut down to 5-1/2" and it's pretty handy. I like it. I like the little longer grip that comes on them. Mine is a stainless one, and worked well for Alaska.

Nice guns Bob.

Latest posts