Giving a NM Black hawk some love = awesome trigger

Help Support Ruger Forum:

rob-c

Single-Sixer
So I bought this 357 mag used some years ago and I hunted with it and killed a few deer for a bit. I moved up to my SRH 44 so I passed this down to my son . About 5-6 years ago I did a complete dis-assemble of the revolver and it was pretty nasty . At this time I polished the trigger hammer contacts and put in a reduced trigger spring . Fast forward to now my sons black hawk was having intermittent light primer strikes over the summer .So i pulled the gun all apart and everything looked good . I went to YouTube and I found out how to remove the firing pin.

So last weekend I drove the firing pin tunnel out and I was shocked at the amount of crud that was in there. Cleaned the pin , spring and tunnel up, I used some feeler gauges to find out what size shims to order and ordered some hammer and trigger shims . I had done shims on my SRH and wife's gp-100 and I was a little shocked on how much side to side play was in the Blackhawk . So after installing the shims and putting everything back together last night and making sure everything was working . I put my trigger pull gauge on and its at 1 pound 6-7 ounce pull . It's so smooth and crisp , I can't wait to have him shoot it .

veeman

Single-Sixer
Sounds kinda light to me, but I'm sure your boys were taught proper safety!

rob-c

Single-Sixer
veeman said:
Sounds kinda light to me, but I'm sure your boys were taught proper safety!
I had thought about going up on the trigger spring , It has a 30oz in it now and I have a 40oz to put in . I actually Installed a 24 pound extra power hammer spring thinking the occasional light strike may have been that so it's not stock weight . I'm not 100% sure the pull weight is correct, as my trigger gauge is a wheeler manual. The Blackhawk is a hunting and a summer pistol league target gun. I'm going to have him shoot it and we'll see .

Rclark

Hunter
I like my trigger pull to be 2# to 3#. Any where in that range is good (for me). As a good warning, I had an unintentional let-off once in cold weather. Gun was pointed pretty much down range but scared the .... out of me. I didn't have the 'feel' in my trigger finger that I normally have in warmer weather. So, I am much more aware to this day. Lesson learned ... safely.

Johnnu2

Hunter
I like my triggers around 2 lbs for targets only; now that I'm old, the min. is 3 lbs.....
For handgun hunting, I never went below 4 lbs.
Just my personal comfort zone(s).
J.

LAH

Buckeye
Nothing like good trigger work. I'm a 3 pound guy.