Give and Take

Help Support Ruger Forum:

wavehopr

Single-Sixer
I took a bunch of grief today taking the required class for a carry permit. I don't know if it's the same in all states, but here it's half day class and a half day at the range.

All the folks with the Glocks, Kel-tecs, Sigs, and other assorted black-guns couldn't believe I brought a single-action to a carry class. At the noon break, before the range session, one cornered me to interrogate me as to why I liked revolvers more than semi-automatics. He presented all the arguments for an autoloader and just couldn't understand.

Well, while they were fighting all afternoon to keep it on paper, I blew the center "bulls-eye" out with my year-old single-six, and they shut up. I gave as good, or better, than I got. That Ruger really shined today.

And then to rub it in, I told them if I'd been allowed to shoot reloads, I would have brought my OM .357, which shoots better than the single-six.

Yea, life is especially good sometimes. :D

dougader

Hunter
Well, yeah, I suppose if you want to end a gun fight you have to be able to hit your target.

Good job. I love single actions, but have never carried one as a primary arm for self defense, but if that's what you are comfortable with then that's the way to go as far as I'm concerned.

Rabon

Single-Sixer
When I got my permit (many years ago) we had to qualify with a Revolver, an autopistol or both. I used a G-21 and a F/A 83 which gave me both Revolver and autopistol and allowed me 45 cal and under in both.
Now you can take it with a 22 cal anything and qualify to carry anything.

Sonnytoo

Blackhawk
Rabon":oitrmoud said:
When I got my permit (many years ago) we had to qualify with a Revolver, an autopistol or both. I used a G-21 and a F/A 83 which gave me both Revolver and autopistol and allowed me 45 cal and under in both.

The KGB always used a .22 Short to good advantage. Of course, they weren't generally face-to-face.
I wouldn't like being limited to a single type of gun, or caliber, or serial number as some folks are. Florida is decent that way. I change off every so often, depending where I'm going.

Skalkaho Slim

Blackhawk
Yep, some folks think they know more than you when it comes to things like this. Nature of the gun world.

I don't know how many IDPA and USPSA matches I've shot where some show up with all the fancy gear and fancy guns, only to get smacked by the guy with a plain stock gun and a cheap rig - or better yet a revolver. ;)

GKC

Blackhawk
Rabon":34mp1fbx said:

I was checking into classes here (Texas) and I was told that the minimum caliber was .32 or more, and that if I used a revolver all I could carry concealed would be a revolver, but that if I qualified using a pistol I could carry either. Didn't ask why, but that's what they said.

This particular place said I could rent a firearm of my choice (revolver or pistol) plus a 50 round box of ammo for $30, or I could bring my own (no reloads and no FMJ rounds.) Given ammo prices that I have seen in most places for the .4x calibers, that sounds like a good deal!

TiteGroups

Blackhawk
When someone at the range starts talking about how great the plastic guns are I just tell them I prefer to shot more powerful stuff. Then I give them a lesson in accuracy using more powerful ammunition. And to finish it off I tell them I reload and don't like to chase my brass around on the ground. The glock guys don't understand some of us have come full circle back to revolvers after going through the whole plastic auto loader phase. My autos tend to stay home.

Oh heck, I carry a .45 colt Blackhawk fairly regularly. If I need more than six rounds, I'm in very deep doo doo and a couple more probably won't make any difference.

I've been known to carry this from time to time.
HANDGUNS12-31-07-0006-1.jpg

jpdesign

Single-Sixer
I knew about they qualifyind here in Texas. The government figures iff you can carry a semi safely you can carry a revolver, but if you only have experience with a revolver you should not carry a semi. Go figure.

AzRebel

Single-Sixer
Like many, I went from revolvers, to semi-autos, to plastic semi-autos, then back to the solid reliability and feel of good revolvers.

I wish I still had those revolvers I had way back when. Don't miss the semi-autos.

Daryl

CraigC

Hawkeye
Far too many shooters think that equipment will save them. They don't realize the most important tool in their self defense repertoire is their brain. Cooler heads always prevail and if they have any sense at all, they should be smart enough to practice. ;)

nn

Single-Sixer
I used a single six as well, the instructor put the revolvers in the first relay
to get them off the range. I think it was that revolvers are slower on reloads and mixed revolver/pistol relays were slower that single type relays.

rugerfan100

Single-Sixer
Yes, I probably would have done the same (brought a revolver). The simple fact of the matter is when death is starring you right in the eyes, I will have less steps to take to get the trigger pulled on my revolver then you will on your semi-automatic. I vote for the revolver for self defense and carry....

Bucks Owin

Hunter
Well, the last bigtime shootout around these parts, 5 boys in blue fired 42 (Forty-two!) 9mm rounds at a BG, scoring 14 hits to take him down. Good thing the bankrobber wasn't a good shot packing an ol thumbuster .45 instead of a BB gun. He may have got the 5 of them! (without a reload) :shock: Point being, it's HOW one shoots, not WHAT one shoots... :wink:

Yosemite Sam

Hunter
rugerfan100":vb1ea0qh said:
Yes, I probably would have done the same (brought a revolver). The simple fact of the matter is when death is starring you right in the eyes, I will have less steps to take to get the trigger pulled on my revolver then you will on your semi-automatic. I vote for the revolver for self defense and carry....
Methinks you're defining "semi-automatic" too narrowly. Hint: They don't all have safeties. I have several pistols that are just as easy to get the first shot off with as a DA revolver, which would be faster than an SA revolver (for most of us), which is what this topic is about...

-- Sam

BearBio

Buckeye
Wife doesn't like autos, so I keep wheelguns around the house (I switch back-and-forth between a Smith 357 and a 1911 for my carry). My bedside gun is a 6" M-28 (hers is a 6" K-38). There's a 4" M-28 downstairs, as well as a M-24 hidden elsewhere.

However, just last night, after checking out a holster, I was putting away my 3.5" Vaquero in 45 Colt and I thought "Man, I sure shoot a lot better with this than with that 6-incher by the bed". I just might switch tonite when I get home from work.