Gift for Dad Mini 14 questions

Help Support Ruger Forum:

66datsun

Bearcat
So I owe my dad a little money. We went to the gunshow yesterday and chose a Mini 14. The man we got it from says it's an early model. serial number 182-60868. Niether of us know much about it. He gave us two magazines. A 10 round Ruger clip that wont fit in the rifle. And a 30 round aftermarket that fits pretty good. The bolt seems "loose" to me when you lock it back all it takes is a slight shake of the rifle for it to slam forward. Is this normal?

And aside from "don't shoot crap ammo" is there anything critical that I need to know about this gun? Thanks guys.

My German Shepherd really likes it.

IMG_1300.jpg

IMG_1301.jpg

66datsun

Bearcat
Just started taking it apart to clean and yeeesh

Looks like wheel bearing grease all over the inside. Not cosmoline but grease. Also found a steel roll pin someone put in place of a proper pin. Took a pic of it if anyone knows off the top of thier head what it is so I can get a replacement.

IMG_1304.jpg

IMG_1306.jpg

66datsun

Bearcat
So, I just went down to my local firing range and learned that I was not operating the slide lock properly. So ooops on that one. Still though if anyone has any insight on the roll pin I would appreciate it.

A

Anonymous

Did it ever cross your mind to visit Ruger's Web site and download an owner's manual with a parts diagram? :roll:

slippingaway

Blackhawk
The shorter mags can be a little tougher to get in than the bigger ones, simply because the shorter mag gives you less leverage, and less grip area for finagling it in there. I know my 30 rounders are much easier to insert than my 5 rounder.

66datsun

Bearcat
Thanks for the compliment on my dog. I like him too.
I did download the parts breakdown from Ruger. The pin just looked out of place to me. But on the parts breakdown it looks like it belongs there. The gun works, so I'll take it for now. My local gun shop said the 10 round mag may have been for a mini 30 even though it says "mini 14" on the bottom. All I know is it does NOT fit in the rifle and if you put more than 3 rounds in it they pop out of the lips.

Still my dad loves the gun and so do I so it was worth the trade to me.

Which was an H&K USP 9mm for those who care. Maybe I traded down, maybe I didn't but he likes it so its good.

A

Anonymous

You could also send the gun back to Ruger. They'll go through the gun and return it, at no charge to you. The only charge you'll incur is the shipping to them.

Nice dog. My shepherd is laying on an A/C vent right now. :lol:

Latest posts