Ghost "Ultimate" Trigger on SR9 - Update and Solut

Help Support Ruger Forum:

robilmichael

Bearcat
I posted on Saturday after installing the Ghost "ultimate" unit on my SR9. This is the unit one that is a drop in unit and does not require fitting.

As reported, the trigger was initially better and lighter but not near as good as I was hoping as it still was not near the standard of the Ruger 22/45 that I was expecting.

After dry firing it for around 75 times, I am now VERY PLEASED with the result. Perhaps the trigger connector just needed some run-in, but the pull has significantly reduced to very close to the 22/45 (reported to be 3.5 lbs.). In fact, it may be better. The trigger is now very easy with a nice clean break. Contrary to some posters, I did not have any grittyness, long travel or "hitches" in the trigger (before of after).

The only problem that I had before and after the Ghost trigger install was that the gun seemed to "jump" a bit when the striker spring/pin is released and hits the stop. I thought that the "jump" was caused by the striker spring being so stout. It is not; it is caused by the very slight overtravel of the trigger. I figured this out when I put a little piece of rubber behind the trigger that just fit between the back of the trigger and the trigger guard as the trigger breaks. That prevents the trigger from moving past the break and just stops and cushions the trigger as it breaks. I have not lived fired it yet (I will today), but I can tell already that this will be a major improvement. RUGER, are you listening?

The effect was literally amazing. The trigger now feels like a CZ75 or 22/45 that I have shot, both of which I think are near perfect. Very light, very clean break, and no overtravel. You can hold the gun lightly and when you pull the trigger there is no movement in the gun, the trigger just breaks and stops and the gun stays steady. Try that with a stock trigger and you will see that the gun will tend to "jump" a bit because of the slight overtravel.

Try this as an experiment. Pull off an eraser of a pencil and sand it so that it it is just a hair bigger than the distance the back of the pulled trigger and the trigger guard. Hold that piece of rubber in place as you dry fire the gun (MAKE SURE IT IS unloaded obviously). You will feel a completely different trigger than you have felt on the SR9, at least I did.

For the final install of this trigger stop I used a little piece of black rubber that I sanded, fitted and just glued it to the trigger guard. It looks like a little black button. It works great and took about 4 minutes.

Thanks to all, and thanks to Ghost for an excellent job. You have a happy customer.

The other Ghost trigger (the Rocket, I think it is called) is the one that has to be installed, tested, sanded downed, reinstalled, etc. until it works. I think that trigger takes care of the overtravel issue as you go through that process. I will be interested to hear from others about that trigger.

Good luck.

robilmichael

Bearcat
As an update, I fired 100 rounds at the range today with the new trigger. Perfect. Nice, easy break of the trigger, and no stacking and no overtravel now. The accuracy is better than before and the gun is even better now. I measured the length of the trigger pull and it is approx. 1/4" and the reset is very quick. No problems, just lots of smiles!

pamato18

Bearcat
interesting overtravel solution. reminds me of an overtravel stop or screw some pistols have. any pictures of your homemade remedy?

elkhunter62

Bearcat
i got my ultimate today around 10:30am and put it in it felt great went to the club im in and went though 200 rounds and it was a big diff. my trigger before had no travel and was gritty a little and about 5.5lbs and now still no travel and no gritty feeling and the pounds not sure yet but it is lighter it feels more like my ruger rifle. Real sweet love it got to hand it to ghost they are awesome. :D and i will post some pics of the targets i used also

elkhunter62

Bearcat
The pics i said i would post this pistol shoots so much better hope you like !!!
the round one is a four inch and the red square is two inch's not to bad i guess for my first Auto the pistol is a ruger sr9 od green i put in the ultimate trigger rest. its awesome real crisp and smooth ghost is great.
Thanks for looking!!!!

100_0345.jpg

100_0344.jpg

100_0346.jpg

Mukinfutch

Bearcat
Hi everyone! I'm new here and finding a wealth of GREAT information! I am a big Ruger fan.I have a Mini 14 and an SR9 and love them! I really would like a Ghost trigger for my SR9, but I am in Canada and Ghost does not have any distributors here and I am having a hell of a time finding one. Wondering if you guys could help me out. Please PM me if you are willing to send me one by post.Thanks :D

Simms65

Bearcat
When I purchased my Ghost connectors I called and spoke with Arthur who is the owner of the company. After about 30 minutes of BSing about this and that (he is a heck of a talker!) I wrangled from him that between the Rocket and Tactical connectors he liked the Tactical better. I ordered two, one for my SR9 and one for my SR9c. I wasn't looking for a lighter trigger, I was looking for smoother, consistent break and reset with no over travel.

I got that in spades. I'd recommend the $30 investment to anyone with an SR series pistol. I don't have a trigger gauge, but the weight is close to factory, maybe a touch lighter, the reset is positive, the pull is even, the break is clean, and there is ZERO over travel. It took me about 30 minutes per gun to get things fitted properly, and I really took my time. Arthur recommends either dry or live firing ~100 times to get things settled in, and it worked out to be just about that with both of mine.

To me removing the over travel would have been worth it alone, but the connectors are much more than that.

robilmichael

Bearcat
Hi, I am surprised to see this thread again as it is quite old. However, I took out the Ultimate, removed the trigger stop (which I always viewed as a temporary test) and just and installed the Rocket. It works great.

I installed the Ghost Rocket in both my SR9 and SR9C. Both have great triggers now. Very clean, nice crisp break, and no overtravel. The pull is lighter than before and gets better over time.

I compare these triggers to the pull on my 22/45 MKIII. I have over 5,000 rounds through the SR9 now and it compares very favorably to the 22/45.

Thanks, and good luck to all!

NixieTube

Blackhawk
This is really the type of review I like to read. Thanks for taking the time to really evaluate the product and think about it instead of foreshortening the review. @elkhunter thank you also for the pictures. Follow up posts really help provide information people need.

NixieTube

Blackhawk
Simms65 said:
I failed to notice that the OP was over a year ago... :lol:

That's OK most of us got it after the 2nd read through. :)

Follow up posts even after a year are valuable. Glad to read it.

silent_assasin

Bearcat
Installed my standard stainless SR9 Ghost Ultimate 3.5 Trigger shot about 300 rounds and i I love it! Great investment indeed:) No grittyness at all now and very light and smooth triiger pull. High recommend.

Thanks to the OP for recommending this

Ye Old Fool

Bearcat
I have posted this under other subjects, also.
I want to thank all you posters and the fellows who spend their time making the "How to" videos they put on YouTube. I absolutely hated the trigger pull on my SR9.
Reading on this forum pointed me to Ghost Trigger; I bought and installed the Ghost "Ultimate" --- Huge Difference!
Tonight I read about removing the magazine disconnect, so I did that also. When doing it I noticed metal shavings in the striker housing. I cleaned out the housing and wiped shavings off the Striker also.
No gritty pull anymore, trigger feels really smooth and I cannot wait to go out tomorrow and run a few round through it.
Thank you for your posts!
I would recommend that anyone with this issue first break down your pistol and thoroughly clean it, especially the striker housing and if you are going to keep the magazine disconnect in remove it and clean the cavity that it is in also. My pistol had shaving in there also

rogerthedodger

Bearcat
I see this is an old post rejuvenated, but I also installed the Ultimate on my SR9, now the trigger is like my new SR9C. Easy to install!!
Roger

MFE

Bearcat
I tried the Ghost Ultimate 3.5 trigger today and couldn't get it to work, which seems highly unusual given all the positive reviews I read about it prior to purchase, so I'm wondering if anyone has any guidance or experience.

I followed the instructions carefully and ensuring the bends were shaped properly. It was a fairly straightforward install, assisted by some youtube videos, but when I got it back together, I could not get it to function properly during dry fire.

Specifically, the trigger will only fire when the ejector is in the downward position, but it won't reset. When I put the ejector up and release the slide, the trigger will reset, but then it won't fire. Of course I ensured the safety was off.

I took it back apart 3 times, examining the parts and carefully reassembling it each time, ensuring I was doing it properly per both the instructions and a couple different videos, with the same result every time.

I then reinstalled the factory trigger and all functions returned to normal.

Has this ever happened to anyone else? I'll call Ghostinc on Monday but I wanted to see if anyone had encountered this and what they did to rectify it.

Thanks!

exavid

Hunter
I didn't like the feel of the original trigger set up and installed a Ghost Rocket in my SR9 some months ago. Made a lot nicer shooting pistol. Hardly any over travel at all, on the Rocket you set up that the way you want it. Now I need to do it to my SR40c. Not that it doesn't have a decent trigger as is but it isn't as good as my modified SR9. Well worth the minimal cost.

Latest posts