Ghost Ultimate 3.5 Installed - Comments

Help Support Ruger Forum:

robilmichael

Bearcat
I installed the Ghost "ultimate" unit this morning. This is the one that is a drop in unit and does not require fitting.

The install went fairly easy, just takes some patience. About 1 hour start to finish. If I had to do it again, it would take half that time.

The trigger is better and lighter but not near as good as I was hoping. My standard was the trigger on my Ruger 22/45, which I think is near perfect (around 3.5 lb, with no overtravel or creep, and very smooth). The trigger before the Ghost install was OK. I am guessing it was around 7 lbs. I compared that to my Taurus PT111 which has a 5 lb. SA pull. That PT111 trigger is very smooth, easy, near perfect, but long because there is no resistance until the very end. This is because it has a double strike capability (true DA/SA). I like that trigger too.

The trigger on the SR9 before was OK, with no grittyness or creep (around 1,400 rounds, without a single failure of any kind) , but a bit heavy and the gun seemed to "jump" abit when the striker pin is released and hits the stop. This "jump" is caused, I belive, by the spring being so stout. I controlled that by just holding onto the SR9 firmly. As a result, the SR9 was consistent for me at around 2 1/2" to 3" groups of ten at ten yards shooting standing up at a normal pace. The 22/45 and PT111 do not have that slight jump and when the trigger is released the gun just stays steady. I was hoping for that with the Ghost trigger. I did not get that. Again, I think the issue is the striker spring being so stout. The Ghost trigger could not do anything about that.

The pull with the new trigger bar is probably around 5 lbs. now, just as short as before, but not nearly as easy as the 22/45, and very close to the pull required for the PT111. Maybe some polishing, dry firing and live firing will help lower it to the advertised 3.5 lb. I do not have a trigger guage, but I am using the 22/45 and PT111 as the standards.

PROs - the trigger is lighter, but not down to a 3.5 lbs. like the 22/45. There is no overtravel or creep, and no grittyness. There was none of that for me with the stock trigger bar. It also resets quickly and perfectly, at least dryfiring.

I will try live firing today or tomorrow and post the results.

Good luck everyone.

waldo1324

Bearcat
very nice-
whhen you say drop in, that means you pound out the pins, pull out the old assembly and then just put the new trigger works right in?

robilmichael

Bearcat
The "ultimate" Ghost trigger bar is the drop in unit that simply replaces the stock trigger bar. The pins do not need to be pounded out, but simply pushed out. Ghost has the instructions on their website.

supernac

Bearcat
I just installed the "rocket" in my SR9, it took me a few hours to get the trigger stop just right but so far I like it (only dry fired so far). The trigger is noticeable "shorter" than before, plus there is no over travel. I agree that it doesn't feel like a 3.5 lb trigger, but it is lower.

Sonnytoo

Blackhawk
My Ultimate 3.5# is now in. I also removed the magazine disconnect, which should help out the trigger pull somewhat.
The pull may be 3.5 or 4 pounds; I think it's okay in weight. The pull is still long. It goes thru a sort of raspy break or slide which is that trigger safety nubbin (Ruger calls it the "inner trigger"), then appears to stop and stack and then fire crisply. I guess I'll get used to it. Hope to finally shoot this thing on Monday at the range.
Will let you know.
Sonnytoo

Cheesewhiz

Hunter
After installing it (Ultimate 3.5#), I shot mine today. Not much difference from before, longer travel, slighty lighter break. I really only wanted to be able to comment on it and now I can.

waldo1324

Bearcat
hmm i see, i see.
thats all greek, but ill just tear her apart and see whats in there.
trigger bar u say?
me thinks i know what that is-diagram time.

Texasgunner

Single-Sixer
Cheesewhiz":17r9zurj said:
After installing it (Ultimate 3.5#), I shot mine today. Not much difference from before, longer travel, slighty lighter break. I really only wanted to be able to comment on it and now I can.

Thats dissapointing news to me-
The Ultimate 3.5# is the one i was wanting to order -
If it makes for longer travel i will pass :roll:

Cheesewhiz

Hunter
Texasgunner":1b8is4t6 said:
Cheesewhiz":1b8is4t6 said:

'gunner my trigger had a very short travel, I guess if you have an SR9 that has a long travel and a terrible break, this may help.

jhearne

Buckeye
waldo1324":dup22vd5 said:
hmm i see, i see.
thats all greek, but ill just tear her apart and see whats in there.
trigger bar u say?
me thinks i know what that is-diagram time.

The part your replacing is in the FCU (Fire Control Unit), really straight forward process on Ghost's instructions and if you just use my How-To on the Detail Strip.

Just remove the FCU and Trigger Assembly with the Camblock, essentially, all the internals as one group. Then break down the FCU down to only a couple parts.

Otherwise, good report, hope we see a good deal of users reporting this coming week on the product and see what we all think collectively on it. Seeing mostly positive things so far.

Josh

Texasgunner

Single-Sixer
Cheesewhiz":1kapqg52 said:
Texasgunner":1kapqg52 said:
Cheesewhiz":1kapqg52 said:

'gunner my trigger had a very short travel, I guess if you have an SR9 that has a long travel and a terrible break, this may help.

Thanks, mine has a deceint break but way more travel than i want - I think it may be worth the small price to try one.

elkhunter62

Bearcat
I got my ultimate today around 10:30am and put it in it felt great went to the club Im in and went though 200 rounds and it was a big diff. my trigger before had no travel and was gritty a little and about 5.5lbs and now still no travel and no gritty feeling and the pounds not sure yet but it is lighter it feels more like my Ruger rifle. it breaks nice and crisp Real sweet love it got to hand it to ghost they are awesome. Very Happy and i will post some pics of the targets i used also
:D

revhigh

Hawkeye
Cheesewhiz":1efq6ah7 said:

Holy crap !! You mean the trigger TRAVEL varies on these guns from one to the other AS WELL as the WEIGHT ???

UNBELIEVABLE !!!

REV

Cheesewhiz

Hunter
Rev, my trigger was an early recall one if you remember and I had fired the gun quite a bit before it went back to Ruger. I would think the later production ones may have come out differently.

revhigh

Hawkeye
Cheesewhiz":1inchc70 said:
Rev, my trigger was an early recall one

When you got it back, shouldn't it now be as all the others are if it was 'upgraded' to the safer/better trigger that the current SR9's have ??

From what I've read so far, the Ghost kits don't do much to resolve the trigger issues.

REV

Cheesewhiz

Hunter
revhigh":1cx70tdj said:
Cheesewhiz":1cx70tdj said:
Rev, my trigger was an early recall one

When you got it back, shouldn't it now be as all the others are if it was 'upgraded' to the safer/better trigger that the current SR9's have ??

From what I've read so far, the Ghost kits don't do much to resolve the trigger issues.

REV

I inspected my gun after I got it back from Ruger and they had only replaced the trigger portion of the trigger group and the connector. I would think some other changes have been made and applied to new production guns.

I did not see a huge change after installing that Ultimate #3.5 in my pistol, just the break seemed better but I did have a friend of mine try it out that hated the trigger on the gun before I installed it. He said he thought it was a lot better.

elkhunter62

Bearcat
The pics i said i would post this pistol shoots so much better hope you like !!!
the round one is a four inch and the red square is two inch's not to bad i guess for my first Auto :D
100_0345.jpg

100_0344.jpg

100_0346.jpg

Latest posts