Ghost Rocket????Oh yeah.

Help Support Ruger Forum:

k-oss

Bearcat
Made it out today to try the Ghost Rocket install. I mentioned in a previous post that I was getting light primer hits on a case without powder and bullet but I didn't know if lack of chamber preasure was causing this.
I didn't know if I was going to have to remove a bit more material from the TCT so I didn't put the final polish to it before shooting.
Even without the final polishing the results are phenomenal. I felt the trigger on my SR9C was pretty good out of the box but it is now outstanding. I'm used to a 1911 trigger so the "feel" of a striker type pistol with the required bit of take up is hard to get used to but this is pretty darn close to a tuned 1911 trigger in terms of a light and crisp pull. The elimination of over travel, though, is the sweet part of the deal for me. Changes the whole personality and dynamics of the handgun.
I did have four rounds that wouldn't fire first time due to the light hits so I came home and removed a bit more material and put a good polish on the contact surface of the TCT.
I would highly recommend this product to all you SR9 guys. Really good stuff. :D

waynejitsu

Single-Sixer
Thanks for the review:)

Suggestion-
Have you taken the striker out and cleaned everything out?
I say this as since owning the pistol, I have had 2 FTF, where the primer was hit, but did not fire. I mostly believe it is because of using cheap Russian ammo at the time, However, I did remove the striker to clean afterward and working it back and forth, a piece of what looked to be metal shavings would partly block the pin from hitting the primer solidly.
I cleaned everything out and so far, so good.

I also do not care for the plastic guide rod/spring assy and plan to replace it with a SS assy soon as I can:)

k-oss

Bearcat
Good suggestion, but yes I have thoroughly cleaned the striker. Another side benefit to the Rocket install is that one becomes very well aquainted with the inner workings of his handgun.

jhearne

Buckeye
waynejitsu":3k79mkbj said:

Suggestion-
I say this as since owning the pistol, I have had 2 FTF, where the primer was hit, but did not fire. I mostly believe it is because of using cheap Russian ammo at the time, However, I did remove the striker to clean afterward and working it back and forth, a piece of what looked to be metal shavings would partly block the pin from hitting the primer solidly.

I also do not care for the plastic guide rod/spring assy and plan to replace it with a SS assy soon as I can:)

I know EGalloway is working on one, but you can go here to get one done in 2-3 days. I've had a couple emails with the guy and has a VERY quick response time. $40 shipped.

Josh

pamato18

Bearcat
I am shipping my guide rod out to this guy thursday, will report back on the fit and finish. Seems like a good product and I just like the stainless steel more than the plastic.

Grendel

Single-Sixer
k-oss,

Could you give this a try? With the gun unloaded(!), yank on the trigger really hard, much harder than necessary, and cycle the slide. When you release your trigger, does it reset?

Also, did you happen to measure how much material you took off?

-JT

waynejitsu

Single-Sixer
jhearne":100q0tx9 said:
waynejitsu":100q0tx9 said:

Suggestion-

I know EGalloway is working on one, but you can go here to get one done in 2-3 days. I've had a couple emails with the guy and has a VERY quick response time. $40 shipped.

Josh

I plan to get one made.
Has anyone tried one yet?
Is there any performance advantage (smoother action, etc?)

Anyone know where to get the striker (plastic) cover replaced with a SS one?

jhearne

Buckeye
I have no idea how a SS guide rod effects the gun asides from pure visual preferences or personal experiences with plastics.

As for the Striker Plate You'd need one made and most likely CNC'd after someone drew it up....I could actually ;). The trick is having the equipment to handle the CNC machining with the slight curves it has.

Josh

waynejitsu

Single-Sixer
I was thinking if the rod was highly polished, it would be a bit better:)

Thanks for the reply!!

jhearne

Buckeye
NP, and was thinking, the reason the Striker plate is Poly (with some steel actually) is to cut costs. There's a lot of little detail and doing Poly Injection Molding is much easier (and cheaper) than straight up Machining from a billet.

Josh

k-oss

Bearcat
Grendel, not sure if I followed your request correctly but if I pull the trigger hard and continue to hold it down as I cycle the slide it does not reset the trigger when I release the trigger. Is this a good thing or a bad thing? Did I do it correctly? Anyway, I removed .06 material off the tab. Let me know what conclusions you derive from this. Thanks

supernac

Bearcat
k-oss":281wmta7 said:
Grendel, not sure if I followed your request correctly but if I pull the trigger hard and continue to hold it down as I cycle the slide it does not reset the trigger when I release the trigger. Is this a good thing or a bad thing? Did I do it correctly? Anyway, I removed .06 material off the tab. Let me know what conclusions you derive from this. Thanks

I just tested mine, holding the trigger firmly down while racking the slide. As soon as I release the trigger it resets. This is how it should function.

k-oss

Bearcat
Tried it again......trigger resets. I vapor locked thinking he meant the striker itself. No wonder it didn't make any sence to me. Pays to read carefully. Anyway, thanks for the come back.

pamato18

Bearcat
wayne I'm shipping mine out thursday and will get to try the new one out next weekend. there are a couple reasons for a SS guide rod: primarily aesthetics. However a SS guide rod does give extra weight to the muzzle of the gun reducing muzzleflip, while not increasing the weight of the slide as it cycles. This leads to more accurate follow up shots. SS is more durable over plastic in the long run. Finally from what I've heard form his customer reviews SS is smoother and leads to an easier/smoother cycling. Once I get mine in will let you know if there is any noticeable difference in these areas.