Ghost Rocket - Not Impressed

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Turbobuddha

Single-Sixer
So I got my Ghjst Rocket 3.5 for my SR9 and I have to admit, I'm less than impressed. I think I would recommend the drop in over the TCT. I filed the tab down to the point where the striker would release and all seemed ok. Not much travel left at the end anyway, maybe 1/16" left. But what bothered me was cycling the slide while holding the trigger back. The tab on the bar sits in that notch on the slide and the extra tension on TCT causes it to bind a bit (and the cocking tab striker release thing, which isn't low enough now) and catch real bad and bug me way too much. I swapped the factory back out and saw what it was doing.

I actually ended up cutting the TCT tab off completely. Now, it does seem a bit nicer. It is lighter and breaks a little better. Still not an XDm trigger but that's not a balanced comparison. I do like the trigger better now (after several back and forth comparison) and it is an improvement. Just didn't like the TCT piece. I might add that this paticular gun
has over 2200 rounds through it already. Now for a range test.

Guppy

Bearcat
I had to do the same thing. I hold the trigger back after release and it would bind the trigger bar and prevent it from rising up to catch the striker fully. This would casue the gun to either fail to cock or drag the striker just enough to double....... I ground off the trigger overtravel tab to avoid the problem. I would not reccomend the rocket, just the 3.5 disconnector.

supernac

Bearcat
So far I have put 300 rnds on my rocket, probably another 200 dry fires. I haven't had any issues.

SR9c-Fan

Bearcat
I just tried this on my SR9c, in which I have a Ghost Tactical, and it worked fine without binding or any roughness...and I still have the TCT on it. I wonder what the difference might be between the Ghost and the Tactical that causes this?

Also... thanks for the tip on how not to have to dry-fire an automatic. I'm amazed I never heard this before in 30+ years of firearms use. :?

Turbobuddha

Single-Sixer
I never had any failures to function in any way.

Ny holding the trigger back while cycling the slide mimics the firing of the gun and trigger follow through. What happens as the slide goes back is the trigger bar tab on top rides in a groove on the bottom of the slide. This actually pushes the trigger bar in away from the side towards the enter. There is tension on the TCT from the trigger press. This cause the binding as the slide is trying to move the trigger bar which is being held in place with the tension from the trigger press. Once the bar moves in, the trigger actually is now free to move past the TCT and finishes intoduces another round of over travel to bring the trigger back to were it would be anyway. Took me a bit of playing around to put it all together.

To me, all the binding issues, which probably wouldn't be noticed while firing or dry cycling/firing with follow trough, just wasn't worth the extremely modest savings in overtravel.

At the range, I shot 100 through it and it's better. I've gotten used to it. I rented a G19 for comparison and I shot the SR9 much better than I shot the GLOCK which dis have a nicer trigger. Once I got used to the trigger pull and break, I got better with the G19 but still, my SR9 groups were much tighter. I figure an equal amount through the GLOCK and might have to sell off the Rugers for the ugly duckling. But for now, I gotta meet a guy about an XDm.

Grendel

Single-Sixer
SR9c-Fan":2j2odk4p said:
I just tried this on my SR9c, in which I have a Ghost Tactical, and it worked fine without binding or any roughness...and I still have the TCT on it. I wonder what the difference might be between the Ghost and the Tactical that causes this?

Also... thanks for the tip on how not to have to dry-fire an automatic. I'm amazed I never heard this before in 30+ years of firearms use. :?

It could be the way people are grinding the TCT. I think the lower angle has to be no greater than 90-degrees. I think maybe if it's greater than 90-degrees, like in the Spaulding cut for the Glock Ghost connectors, even a little bit, it might cause the binding. Rough grinds may exacerbate the problem. I'm wondering if having that angle less than 90-degrees may help. At any rate, it's difficult to grind it completely flat by hand, without some setup to keep the angle completely square.

I've got some rounds downrange with my Ghost Rocket with no reset issues, though there I can force it to fail to reset with dryfire. I hope to get another 100 or so rounds through the gun this week to verify that the reset binding doesn't occur in live fire, at least with my gun.

-JT

Turbobuddha

Single-Sixer
Mine was filed down right at 90 and then fine sanded and polished. I don't think it would misfire nor did it ever fail to reset but I didn't like the way it all worked together. Had cycling and study let me to cut the tab off and I like it much better.

Latest posts