Ghost Rocket Install

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Grendel

Single-Sixer
Got my Ghost trigger bar reset today!

Inside the USPS box was a 2010 catalog, a small decal, a large decal, a business card, and the Ghost Rocket 3.5 trigger bar reset.

I was going to wait to install until this weekend, and take video and/or photos. However, I didn't want to split my focus between camera(s) and the install, I figure someone else would do a much better job of that, the Ghost, Inc. site has excellent photos already, and I just couldn't wait.

It took about two hours. I went slow, taking off roughly 0.01" at a time, until the trigger would break. The break was a bit indistinct, and required a bit more effort at the end of the trigger's travel than I would have liked. At that point, I started taking off about 0.005" at a time. Once I liked the pull, I took it apart one last time, polished with some Flitz, and reassembled. I hope to get to the range soon to test, but dryfiring feels great. There's a slight "click" right before the trigger breaks that I'm unsure of, but it isn't anything horrible and I can live with it. It feels much better than the striker I have with cut coils from the striker spring.

I was familiar with gutting the SR9 to the fire control components before, but it wasn't something I was eager to do. I'm an expert at it now. It does require a lot of patience to fit. Go slow. Take off a little material at a time. Reassemble. Test. Disassemble. Repeat. My fingertips are sore and a bit raw from multiple disassembly and reassmebly, but it was worth it.

Once I get to the range with it, I'll post an update.

-JT

robilmichael

Bearcat
I got mine in the mail today as well, but it is the "ultimate" unit that is a drop in fit. I will install it tomorrow and let everyone know how it goes.

From the package inserts though, it looks like a quality product and company.

3leggeddog

Single-Sixer
robilmichael":3l2hvo0u said:
I got mine in the mail today as well, but it is the "ultimate" unit that is a drop in fit. I will install it tomorrow and let everyone know how it goes.

From the package inserts though, it looks like a quality product and company.

please do~

Grendel

Single-Sixer
kscott":2gdttbo0 said:
So can you really tell a lot of difference? Smoother? Lighter?

Smoother, except for the hitch/click I mention before the trigger breaks. I can't figure out what's causing that to see if I can polish that out.

Lighter, yes. At least, it feels much lighter to me, but I don't have a trigger gauge to say objectively.

-JT

Cheesewhiz

Hunter
I installed my "Ultimate 3.5" today and I will shoot the gun tommorow. I have much more take up now than before and the break doesn't seem that great but I always said my trigger on this gun, after the recall, was like a "push button". We will see.

BTW, I have not ever polished parts on this gun at all and this is the only mod I have done on it.

Grendel

Single-Sixer
Well, took the gun to the range today and ran 60 rounds through it.

Disturbing issue on a few shots. A few times, three or four, when I pulled the trigger, nada. Then, it was almost as if I stopped trying to press the trigger, the gun went bang.

Tried some things out under dryfire and found that if I really pull hard on the trigger, much harder than necessary for the trigger to break, when the slide cycles, the trigger won't reset.

I left voicemail with Ghost and hope I get a call back soon with a solution. I think I just need to grind a bit more material off the TCT, but we'll see. I can't have a gun not cycle properly if I mash down on the trigger too hard in a SHTF situation.

-JT

jhearne

Buckeye
Yeah, I'd say you either didn't take enough off or took too much off of the TCT. Hope you don't have to get a new one and start over with the TCT, let us know how it goes.

Josh

Grendel

Single-Sixer
jhearne":1s86wdpe said:
Yeah, I'd say you either didn't take enough off or took too much off of the TCT. Hope you don't have to get a new one and start over with the TCT, let us know how it goes.

Josh

I'm reasonably certain I didn't take too much off, as right before I hit this current 'sweet spot', I had to squeeze really hard to get the trigger to break, which to me meant I was just at the threshold of material removal. Took a bit more off and got it to break without a crushing pull, then polished it up.

Except for the issue with the striker not resetting when I really torque on the trigger, it feels really good.

-JT

Grendel

Single-Sixer
Still no response from Ghost, and I've tried sending an info request via their online message page as well. However, I understand they've just released a new product and are likely fielding a whole mess of questions right now.

I went ahead and took another 0.007" off the TCT. The trigger feels better, but still won't reset if I'm really mashing the trigger down as the gun cycles. I'm hoping others will try this and see if they encounter the same thing. Meanwhile, I've just got to be careful with my trigger press.

I filmed my disassembly and reassembly of my gun while I made the adjustment. I might post it tomorrow on Youtube.

-JT

jhearne

Buckeye
I imagine they've got a few people with questions, good idea about the Youtube video. Link to it when you get it online.

Josh

Grendel

Single-Sixer
jhearne":1b10g20h said:
I imagine they've got a few people with questions, good idea about the Youtube video. Link to it when you get it online.

Josh

The video demonstrates the problem and shows a couple of tricks I use to ease reassembly of the gun. The assembled fire control housing can fly apart on reassembly if you're not careful. It shows the Ghost part, and I explain a couple of the visual differences between it and the stock Ruger trigger bar reset.

I'll have to decide to leave in stuff like me dropping all the bloody pins onto the floor and the manual safety detent and spring flying out of the fire control housing.

-JT

Grendel

Single-Sixer
Still wanting to know if anyone else has the same problem with their Ghost Rockets.

Incidentally, the current length of my TCT, from the rear surface to the ground surface, is about 0.281", and my original measurement out of the box was 0.341". I think.

-JT

Grendel

Single-Sixer
I got a response from Arthur and he's sending me a replacement. It's not the amount of material I took off, apparently; something's just not quite right with mine. He thinks it'd eventually go away with some wear, but is sending me a replacement instead. More time to fit the new part, but I think it will be worth it.

FYI: I've replaced the stock trigger bar reset and can't recreate the problem with the stock Ruger part.

-JT

jhearne

Buckeye
Good to hear they're taking care of it, hope the new one works better.

Josh

Grendel

Single-Sixer
Yep, he's taking care of me, so I'm not terribly concerned. I've got the stock trigger bar reset back in, as I want to be sure the gun goes bang if I need it. I was looking forward to the better trigger pull for an upcoming IDPA match, but I can wait. He's already sent the new part out to me. I'm holding off posting the video I made on Youtube for now. I may do it over, as I kept accidentally going off frame. I also want to try to condense it, as it's over 25 min of footage.

-JT

gDane

Bearcat
I installed a Rocket 3.5 over the weekend. Haven't been out to shoot yet, but wanted to report on dry-firing.

(I've removed my mag disconnect, so dry-firing without mag is no problem.)

I spent close to an hour fitting the trigger reset, removing a very small amount of the trigger control tab, then installing, reassembling the pistol, dry-firing, etc. By the time the striker finally fired, I had removed close to 3/32". Like the instructions say, "Patience!"

Anyway, here are my observations. Again, I haven't had a chance to range test, only dry-fire:

The length of trigger pull is only slightly reduced -- 3/8" before Rocket install; 5/16" after.

The weight of pull also is only slightly reduced -- 10.5 lbs to 12.5 lbs before Rocket install; 8.25 lbs to 10.5 lbs after. (Pull weight is measured by a digital pull gauge.)

The feel of trigger pull is slightly smoother, but my trigger was quite smooth to begin with, not gritty at all.

The main difference between original trigger reset and the Rocket is that over travel is eliminated entirely.

Basically, trigger pull is slightly smoother all the way to the point of striker fire, at which point slight resistance is met. An additional 1/4 lb or so fires the striker.

If you pre-load your trigger when shooting, the Rocket makes it easier -- pull to the point of resistance, then 'click', it fires. However, I never pre-load when shooting -- very dangerous in SD situation.

I've called Arthur a couple of times to ask if the 'before and after' behavior of my pistol is typical, or if I did something wrong. But I keep getting voice mail. Left messages; still no reply.

I'm posting here to see if others have similar results.

The trigger reset is not difficult to install. Main thing is trigger bar needs to be pulled forward to the front of the new trigger control tab when reinserting in the ejector slot. Side of the safety housing holds the whole thing together for reinsertion into the frame.

When removing the safety detente/spring assembly, place your thumb at the top of the safety, with the tip of your thumb right at the location of the detente. As you lift and lower the safety tab, move your thumb down, along with the safety. Detente will end up under the tip of your thumb, not flying across the room.

Overall impression:

1. Over travel eliminated. I'm assuming this will make subsequent shots (everything after the first shot) faster and more accurate. Again, I haven't range tested it yet; just dry-fired.

2. Trigger pull weight slightly reduced. No great improvement.

3. Trigger pull length very slightly reduced. No great improvement.

4. There's a noise when the striker fires that wasn't there before. It's a ping type of sound, like a spring unloading, or hitting something. I've been inside several times to see if anything has come loose. Everything is exactly where it's supposed to be.

The Rocket 3.5 isn't what I thought it would be when I read about it. The material on Arthur's web site made me think this trigger bar reset would shorten trigger travel, reduce pull weight to 3.5 lbs (or close to it), and in general, make it a little more like a rifle trigger. In fairness, though, I could have completely misunderstood what Arthur wrote. I'd like to talk to him about this. I wish he'd answer his phone, or return my calls.

I'll write more when I've fired the gun.

recoilguy

Bearcat
I have 2 SR9's and I put tjhe ultimate Ghost 3.5 in one and nothing in the other. I have taken them both to the range and not just having to go from memory but I can actually switch back and forth. The ghost is going in the other gun next week!!!!!!

It has shortened the pull noticably and smoothened it out considerabley. I will now use my SR9 at USPSA matches. I can shot a tighter group the old trigger would click stick and then shoot, the new one is a smooth finger tip pull and it goes bang. i don't tighten up to get the last 1/64" to actually get past the grit stick point.

I am a fan! I love the new trigger.

RCG