Getting ready tor opening day

Help Support Ruger Forum:

wolfsong

Staff member
The opener for deer season is just around the corner and, in anticipation of preparing the mountain of gear and supplies for deer camp sitting in front of me, I called my hunting partner Jerry and bribed him with a lunch of smoked salmon and a fresh pot of coffee to come over and give me a hand with the essentials. He showed up rather quickly (he must have been hungry) and we ate salmon and drank coffee and BSed for a good while. Finally, I said "Ya ready to get started?" and he said "Yeah, let's get this over!. Jerry grabbed an 8 x 11 peice of white paper, walked out my front door into the pistachio orchard, paced off about a hundred steps, placed the paper on a post that had been set up just for this, and walked back to my porch. Meanwhile, I grabbed my 30.06 and a box of shells - non-lead, of course - and my binos and met him on the porch. Using the porch half-wall as a rest I put three rounds on the paper, looked at Jerry and asked him if he wanted to shoot a couple. He said "Naw, I'm good." We went back inside, ate some more salmon, drank some more coffee and BSed some more. Checked my hunting license and deer tag and called it a day. Ready for another season of hunting!

This weekend I'm gonna head on over to his place and give him a hand getting his stuff together. I think he's cooking a tri-tip.

Ride1949

Blackhawk
It's good to have help for those arduous tasks. :) Bow hunting season starts here at the end of August. I'm ready.

Mobuck

Hawkeye
I understand this is a bit of tongue in cheek humor but if this is/was true, you've missed a major part of the 'fun' IMHO. Deer (and other big game) season for me involves range testing 2-3 'handguns' and maybe 1/2 dozen rifles plus a daily 'cold bore' shot(often one rifle in the morning and a different rifle for the evening) at the 300 meter gong. In addition, there's 2-3 weeks of daily rimfire tune-up(20-25 shots per day from field positions).
By the time season arrives, my spring is wound pretty tight.

Latest posts