Getting Ready for Another Hunting Season,,, one more time!

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Well today I did a couple control groups for some bullet lots that I had cast this summer in 2 different alloy's. One alloy was 10# pure lead to 5# Linotype w/.5# 50/50 solder= 40# total. That was my hard alloy, in my Mountain Molds 340 grain (from ww) the bullets weigh 335 grains.

The other alloy was with 15# pure lead to 4# Linotype w/.5# =40# this alloy weighted the same as bullets made with straight ww 340 grains. I have almost 1000 pounds of Pure lead so I have to start alloying or I will end up with just pure lead. The good news was, they both make a beautiful bullet, and best of all, they both shoot lights out!!

The #3 chamber on this cylinder always throws a bullet slightly out of a group, the center target is my 1080 fps 250 grain light load, I use it for a control load as I have a few thousand of these bullets plain base and the same nose as the 340's, all in ww alloy. The two different alloys came out great and will be interchangeable and hit in the same place, but that doesn't surprise me. This Hunter shoots about any bullets and any speed to the same POI, evident here with the 1080 fps 250 grain 12 shot group (notice both shots from the #3 chamber both low and right out of the bull), and the two 6 shot groups of the 1196 fps 340 grain heavy hunting loads, just slightly left but same elevation, and one shot in each group to itself slightly lower and right. I sighted this scope in 2 years ago and have not touched it since. at 100 yards the 340 are dead on and shoot under 3" groups, with the 250 slightly right but plenty close enough for hunting, even at an occasional 130 or so yard shot.
IMG_9030-II_zpsuoj7jllr.jpg

IMG_0181.jpg

I only get to hunt with this in Indiana for 16 days and Ohio 9 days each year, but I am ready now and until gun season I will be taking full advantage of the 4 1/2 month long deer season with bow in hand, knowing everything is ready when gun season gets here, I love this time of year. After September, the next 7 months are my favorite time of year,,,, hunting and fishing, and by May the freezer will be full again,,,,,for another year!! A few deer, and a couple hogs,,,, and whatever else lends itself for the freezer!

It's my favorite caliber jsh, a .45 Colt, and to think I was gonna sell it a month ago,,,, It always has shot great, I just need to use it more. My problem is anymore, I really rather hunt with the bow, I have 4 1/2 months and being retired I have plenty of time to kill,,, pun intended,,, :wink: But got it ready and am planning on bleeding it again this Dec. durring the Ohio gun season, I probably won't be hunting Indiana gun this year if it still requires a separate dee tag for gun than bow, but thanks guy's.

This was the perfect platform to test those lot's of bullets I casted up in preparation for the 454 5 shot Bisley, I got a freind who wanted my 5 1/2 convertible and think I will like the extra weight of the 5 shooter better,,,, just wish I coulda got it with the 5 1/2" barrel instead of 6 1/2" but that may get changed in time!! Well I got the easy work done, now we'll see if I can get "r" done,, Hope everyone has a good hunt'n season and get's bleed their favorite hog leg this year,,,,, good luck folk's pic's to follow I hope?????

Thanks again for the kind words about the shooter, the Revolvers we have all come to expect this out of our Ruger's,,,,, and that 2X weaver sure makes these old eyes look better than they show they are with the open sights. Anymore that's about what my 25 yard groups look like without a scope. I still keep in practice, and have learned for open sights to rely on cheap readers, at very low powers as a crutch, and seems to work pretty good. It's no fun getting old and but it's a lot better than any of the alternatives,,,,, and being successful in your shooting is still all about practice, practice, practice,,,,, :wink:

Latest posts