Getting back to airgunning here. Hey. I can find pellets...

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Tallbald

Buckeye
Airguns hopefully will allow me to scratch my shooting itch. I bought a beautiful, gently used RWS Diana 460 Magnum underlever .22 spring powered air rifle. It's fitted with an AO Hawke 4-12 scope. Noted by many for its' power and accuracy, and capability in small game pursuits, I look forward to using it a lot this season along with the RWS Diana 34 in .177 caliber I have too. Really remarkable accuracy potential reported with airguns. And like with reloading for firearms, pellet weight and design choice affects accuracy greatly. So there's that challenge.
The way I'm looking at airguns is 1) I'm getting to shoot lead downrange. 2) I can find ammo. 3) I can hunt small game. 4) I must use shooting skills just like with firearms and it may help keep my skills sharper. 5) Like with firearms, overseas and up in Canada there are some rather stiff rules regulating airgun power without licensing and such. So at least in my state thankfully I'm treated to a free for all in the power, style, etc of any airgun I want to choose and need to acknowledge that freedom.
This RWS is as well built as any quality firearm I've ever used myself. There's some maintenance beyond what firearms require but hey. That's kinda fun for me. There's a rabbit hole though I need to avoid with airguns. I always seem to wish for this or that one next.
The man I bought this RWS from bought it maybe 4 years ago(?) but then learned about precharged pneumatic air rifles. He now has a buncha buncha I guess in PCP airguns, a high pressure electric compressor, top dollar scopes and such and regularly harvests vermin raiding his wife's garden. Talks about keeping the coyotes fat and fed. I need to avoid that expensive yellow brick road....
Hope everyone is as well as we can hope for these days. Keeping all folks here in my thoughts and prayers.
Don

contender

Ruger Guru
Between airgun technology over these last several years,, as well as them being off the ATF radar mostly,, combined with availability of pellets & such,, makes it an excellent choice for many folks to continue to enjoy shooting these days.
And,, as you mentioned,, lots different,, from the old Daisy Red Ryder BB guns we grew up with.

GRAMPS 51

Buckeye
Hi I have a RWS model 52 side cocker that is deadly accurate i was going to get into competitive shooting with it will shoot one hole groups at 33 feet that is the distance they shoot competitions at chipmunks dont stand a chance under 40 yds what i would suggest is look around for a BEEMAN pellet sizer to make your pellets uniform it will amaze you at the difference in accuracy

Gramps

Tallbald

Buckeye
Gramps51 I was seriously looking at the 48/52/54 (think those are the right numbers--sorry) sidelever series but a dear friend, mentioned above, said "Don I might let you talk me out of my 460 because it's just set in my closet for several years since I went precharged..." He insisted that $400 was sufficient unto the day, even with the expensive Hawke 4-12 AO airgun scope and riser mount. Apparently a wonderful price when I mentioned it on an airgun forum. Hard to pass up a spotless, desirable airgun at that price.
It's good to hear that you too are an enthusiast. The 52 has a very strong following as it's such an accurate and powerful beast. And beautiful to boot.
Heck. I could see me trading out of some things to fund another airgun.
And Contender you're sure right about technological advances in airguns. No. These adult airguns are light years beyond what I remember as a teen in the 70's, when the 6 shot pump action CO2 Crosman rifle was cutting edge..
Don
Don

Pat-inCO

Hawkeye
I've got an RWS rifle and pistol (they were about the only things not lost in my
boating accident) but they are .177 cal.

Tried the rifle at 45 feet (diagonal measurement of my back patio[then]) shooting
at a doubled Sunday's Rocky Mountain News (about two inches) with a quarter inch
piece of plywood behind it. After the third shot I walked over and checked the target
and back-stop. The third pellet was imbeded in the wood frame of the door. :shock:

For something that doesn't use gun powder, it does VERY well.
SHUSH!
DON'T TELL THE CA LAW MAKERS! :roll:

jimd441

Blackhawk
This thread intrigued me so I am doing a little research into airguns, as I haven't even shot one in decades. Once again, thanks to y'all, it seems I HAVE to buy another gun.

Jim

Pat-inCO

Hawkeye
jimd441 said:
Once again, thanks to y'all, it seems I HAVE to buy another gun.
Well Jim, if you want to try a pistol that is inexpensive, yet does quite well, the
Beeman Sportsman Series Deluxe Air Pistol - Model 2004 (less than $40).

Other than that, I've had GOOD results with RWS brand. :wink:

Have fun. :D

Tallbald

Buckeye
RWS (Diana), HW, lots of wonderful makes. Yes, I joined a forum full of experienced members willing to share their knowledge. Airguns open a whole new spectrum of shooting fun. Appears I'm not the only one there shooting more airguns than before, due to not having ammo for the only two firearms I have any more which are a single shot .22 and a breakopen 12 gauge of my grandfather's.I guess they still work. Don

jimd441

Blackhawk
Just looked at the RWS line and the Beeman pistol. Thanks for the suggestions!

Jim

tinman

Buckeye
GRAMPS 51 said:
............... what i would suggest is look around for a BEEMAN pellet sizer to make your pellets uniform it will amaze you at the difference in accuracy
Gramps

Please elaborate on this device. Never heard of such until now. :?:

Danjet500

Buckeye
Some information in these two links.

https://www.pyramydair.com/blog/2005/05/is-pellet-sizing-a-waste-of-time-maybe-not/#:~:text=A%20pellet%20sizer%20squeezes%20pellets%20smaller%20as%20they,Even%20a%20world%20champion%20can’t%20tell%20the%20difference%21

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=fRN1Am8RBgs

Rick Courtright

Hawkeye
Pat-inCO said:
For something that doesn't use gun powder, it does VERY well.
SHUSH!
DON'T TELL THE CA LAW MAKERS! :roll:

Hi,

Actually, they already know about them, and, so far, have been reasonably friendly!

For hunting, they're ok'd for most of our resident small game, some nuisance animals, and even coyotes and wild turkeys The law was changed to allow them in response to having too many people here which limits where one can shoot safely. You might want to get over to Gilbert and talk to the Airguns of AZ guys about using larger caliber air rifles for hunting--they're always trying to stretch the limits a bit more, and I think they've gotten wild boar with one of their larger caliber rifles. Dunno about deer. And while "non-toxic" pellets are available, the "no lead shot/bullets" ban does not apply because they "are not a firearm" (per CDFW regs.)

And for target shooting, even though I'm within city limits, I can shoot an air rifle on my property as long as the pellets don't leave the property. In other words, use a backstop. I think this is a county by county, or maybe city by city, regulation, so I doubt someone in Los Angeles could shoot in their back yard...

Even better, we can generally shoot them all summer cuz it's not so freakin' hot for months at a time you turn into Jello just going outside! If it's too hot, we've got beaches and 10,000+ ft mountains within an hour's drive or so to help us cope. No place is perfect: CA ain't all bad, AZ ain't all good!

Rick C

Yep, I have two air guns both will power .177 pellets in excess of 1,000 FPS. One is convertible to .22 pellet. So it is permanently a .22. I bought up a bunch of ammo in 2010-2012. Be careful of using too much oil in your barrels. It can cause dieseling and ruin your seals.
gramps

Latest posts