Getting Back into Shooting - Buying Advice GP100 Std vs MC

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Best Gun for me: GP100 Std or Match Champion

• GP100 Standard ([url=http://www.ruger.com/products/gp100/specSheets/1705.html]Model 1705[/url])

Votes: 25 92.6%
  • Match Champion ([url=http://www.ruger.com/products/gp100MatchChampion/specSheets/1754.html]Model 175

Votes: 2 7.4%

• Total voters

jd-tree

Bearcat
Howdy!
So, I just registered for the Ruger Forum after doing quite a bit of research all over the web... I have checked out quite a few articles online about the GP100 Standard and the Match Champion, both in 4.2" (the "targets" of my attention).

TL;DR - I am leaning toward purchasing the Standard primarily due to the adjustable sights and full lug, but I am eager to hear experienced shooters' opinions (specifically Ruger owners).

I am just getting back into shooting, and I initially wanted to get a S&W 357 like my dad used to own (may he RIP). My intention is to get a gun that is fun to shoot, good for home defense, and a legacy piece that I can pass down to my son someday (I'm looking to purchase new - not used). My dad's gun was stolen when I was a boy, but I never forgot how fun it was to shoot.

I picked up quite a few Smiths, but every one I held (even up to their massive 500s) felt really small in my hand - the biggest issue is that my middle knuckle rubbed up against the trigger guard, and just dry firing in the store caused some discomfort. I know that aftermarket grips are available, but as I am "new" to the sport, I don't have much access to try out different brands, and I don't want to spend a fortune buying grips to find something that fits.

Ruger wasn't even on my radar when I walked into a LGS and the "old timer" behind the counter handed me a Standard and told me to check it out. The gun fit my hand almost perfectly (I think I may have heard an angel or two singing in the background)! However, I had some reservations about getting something other than a S&W (remembering my dad's gun), and I really wanted to start / continue a family tradition. To that, the old timer asked, "Why not start your own tradition?" And as a result, my research into Ruger began....

So... after spending too much time online digging through information about these two models, here's my request (with my specific, and possibly incorrect, biases)...

I am looking for a gun that fulfills the following criteria, and I've narrowed my search to the GP100 Standard (Model 1705) and the Match Champion (Model 1754):
- Reliable
- Accurate
- Fun to Shoot
- Affordable (I'd rather spend money on ammo and range time)
- Comfortable (the Standard fits my hand, I haven't found a Match Champion available to hold, but I've read that the grip size is almost identical, minus the finger grooves)

As far as pros & cons (to my way of thinking, anyway)...
Match Champion
...has additional work done to the internals which makes it smoother and more consistent
...has upgraded wooden grip (and a pretty one at that!)
...has upgraded front and rear sights (not sure why the rear is an upgrade over adjustable)
...has a crowned barrel (not totally sure what this is, but it looks cool, and is supposed to protect the barrel if the gun is mishandled)

Standard
...has an adjustable rear sight (making it easier to adjust the gun to 38 vs 357 shooting)
...has a full lug, making the gun heavier, but steadier between shots, especially DA (I don't plan to shoot competitively, just for fun & home defense)
...doesn't have obnoxious lettering on the side of the barrel - just sayin'! (but, if I'm being completely honest, after looking at the "Match Champion" more and more, the lettering is growing on me...)

Right now I am leaning toward the Standard, as I have learned that all GP100s are really easy to work on (polishing up the internals)... and I am fairly mechanically inclined. I would say the biggest determining factor is the adjustable rear sight (not to mention the price difference)

I have been saving my pennies, and I am almost ready to make a purchase, and I am hoping to get feedback from the Ruger Forum. I am asking for your advice, as your experience with Ruger and especially, your experience shooting these particular guns will help me tremendously!

Thank you for taking the time to read my long-winded post! I look forward to hearing your responses, and I promise to follow up with my decision and purchase.

Jason

jd-tree

Bearcat
Thanks for the reply and the vote! I'll check out the Pachmayrs...

For clarification's sake:
KGP-141 is the catalog number for the GP100 Standard (this isn't "directly" listed on Ruger's site)
KGP-141MCF is the catalog number for the GP100 Match Champion

I've not handled or shot the Match Champion. That said, I'm very pleased with my Std. GP100. I have kept the original factory rubber grips with panel inserts. They are very comfortable to shoot and handle recoil well, even from Buffalo Bore 185 Gr. cast bullets in .357 Mag. Not a fan of the big Hogue grips now standard.

I'd pocket the $150 price difference and buy the grips of your choice and a variety of ammo to experiment with. The Match Champion would be a great addition for serious competition or a lighter (though still large) carry piece .

wolfee

Blackhawk
I like the standard but mainly because they offer special runs of "38 only" guns from time to time, in various configurations. Keep in mind that you can always get the standard and then order a set of MC grips direct from shopruger.com.

Whatever you end up with, I think you will be pleased. Quality coming off Ruger production lines now is better than ever.

GP100man

Buckeye
My opinion is ,well MY opinion & ya can`t get any better than a 4-6" GP100
The MC is kinda pricey, balances well but has a little more muzzle flip than the full under lug, again MY opinion.
I like (within reason) muzzle heavy revolvers for target/range/hunting as the weight helps with recoil/muzzle flip , but for a carry piece the liter the better & practice just enuff to be proficient with it handling characteristics

I also can handle heavy triggers (within reason) but they "MUST" be smooth as warm butter! I also like a trigger that stacks as you go thru the DA pull, it`s much more controllable in slow fire DA shooting & unnoticeable under stressful firing.

In the end ANY GP100 ya chose you won`t wear out & your children will be able to hand em down to their grandchildren!!

roylt

Hunter
I'd go standard but I like the under lug.

Welcome here too!
A stainless GP is hard to beat.

hittman

Staff member
I'd go with the standard model and use the "savings" on ammo.

lfpiii

Blackhawk
I would have to say to go for the original GP. The MC is nice but finding a holster is a problem. No one is yet making carry holsters for the MC. You could use a standard holster but the gun will be lose not good.

exlogger

Single-Sixer
I have a 1705 and 1707. They are both top notch revolvers. People say the Smiths have better triggers, but I find the GP triggers just as good as my 66-1 Smith. Here is a pic....

GPpair_zps246bc757.jpg

jd-tree

Bearcat
Thanks for all the feedback!

@steveodtw and @hittman - Ammo gets expensive quick, eh? Yeah, I'm thinking this is going to be a much bigger expense than originally anticipated...

@wolfee - I haven't heard about the "38 only" runs... What are they?

@GP100man - I agree with the full under lug being a plus... It just seems that more mass is better for such a powerful round. I don't plan to "carry" - just for shooting and nightstand use... Maybe as a hunting sidearm, but that's a whole other post!

@lfpiii - I wasn't even thinking about a holster... Now there's another "pro" entry in the the Standard's column. Are there any other after market accessories that I should be considering?

@exlogger - I had to replace my keyboard because of all the drool! Is that a factory grip on the 6"?

@Nh Rugerman - I been trusting my gut for so long, I've had to change out 3 refrigerator handles! Seriously, though, I definitely felt a "connection" with the Standard when I first held it... Which is worth something

wolfee

Blackhawk
JD, these are simply GP100's with their chambers cut to 38 length instead of 357 length. Most likely production overruns from police/military contracts. Otherwise 100% identical to the standard model in every respect. When available, Ruger usually dumps them on Davidsons Distributing--sometimes at a pretty good discount. Right now they are showing 2 different configurations in stock. Go here to see em:
http://www.galleryofguns.com/genie/default.aspx?pg=list&mfg=Ruger&mdl=GP100&cat=All&type=All&cal=38SP&fin=&sit=&zipcode=80030

Ammo could be worse jd-tree. It's only 6 rounds in the cylinder for your GP100. When I first got my SR9, I was burning through 17 rounds to the magazine, thinking "this is going to get expensive pretty quick." Shoot 3 mags and that's a box of ammo. Little did I know then you can't spend too much if you can't find any. :)

roylt

Hunter
exlogger - the 6 has super redhawk factory grips right? Same as GP but with black wood insert instead of the brown. The 4" has uncle mike grips on it.

Very nice. I have the same setup on my 6 & 4.

The Blackhawk Kid

Blackhawk
I'd get both the standard GP-100 and the MC. You're a loader? Shoot the heck outta them both and have FUN! JMHO BhK P.S. I have shot both and it's hard to choose Which One?

jd-tree

Bearcat
The Blackhawk Kid said:
I'd get both the standard GP-100 and the MC. You're a loader? Shoot the heck outta them both and have FUN! JMHO BhK P.S. I have shot both and it's hard to choose Which One?

I'm trying really hard not to get too badly bit by "the bug" - posts like these don't help!!!! Thanks for the feedback :)

foilist

Bearcat
I had the large rubber Hogue grip on my GP100. I really liked that grip but I put on a Badger Custom grip in rosewood. I think the Badger grip really dressed up my GP100.

jd-tree

Bearcat
Thanks for all the great advice! I went to my LGS and ordered my new KGP-141 \ GP100. I can't wait until she makes it to her new home!

Jason