Gettin' interested in holsters.....

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Bob Wright

Hawkeye
I've had holsters for as long as I've been a handgunner, most of them store bought one-size-almost-fits-all. I used a chopped up flap holster that was GI surplus for an M1911A1 to carry a Colt New Service. And bought one of those Hunter holsters that fit DA revolvers and trimmed it to carry a Ruger Blackhawk. But since I've been carrying for personal use I've become much more interested in quality holsters, and now find I want different types and from different makers.

I've always had specific ideas about what I want in a holster, and "Doc" Barranti has been good to work with in that respect. I just recently placed an order with El Paso Saddelry for a Tom Threepersons holster, and have a Ranger Model from Doc. Also a couple from Graveyard Jack gunleather.

So if y'all don't mind, here are a phew I've accumulated so far:

L. to R. : Mernickle PS-6SA, two by Graveyard Jack, No.1 Shuck by Barranti.

And:

L. to R. : (All Barranti holsters) Banded No.1 Shuck, Ranger basket weave stamped, No. 1 Shuck, and Banded No.1 Shuck. The banded models are for a 2 1/2" wide gunbelt.

The lighter colored holsters were natural finished, and I coated them with Johnson's paste wax myself.

Bob Wright

I love the tooled holster by Graveyard Jack in the top picture. All together, that is a nice collection of holsters. Even though they are by different makers, all together they look like a nice set. Are they all traditional holster styles, or have the different makers sort of created their own style?

You don’t like holsters that cover the trigger do you? I know you’ve talked about hammer thongs and hammer straps before, but wouldn’t a holster that covers the trigger provide better protection for the gun?

After first seeing these pictures I had to get some of my holsters out to look at them. Mind if I post a picture of two of some holsters?

bogus bill

Hunter
I had a bunch but when I was put on hospice last november I gave them all away along with my
gun collection to my daughter and son in law. I thought death was imminent. Now I wish I had waited
. Stuff like this!

Bob Wright

Hawkeye
Kevin said:
After first seeing these pictures I had to get some of my holsters out to look at them. Mind if I post a picture of two of some holsters?

I would enjoy and appreciate that!

Bob Wright

Bob Wright

Hawkeye
Kevin said:
. Are they all traditional holster styles, or have the different makers sort of created their own style?

You don’t like holsters that cover the trigger do you? I know you’ve talked about hammer thongs and hammer straps before, but wouldn’t a holster that covers the trigger provide better protection for the gun?

All of the holsters I have are variations on traditional styles, plus incorporating some of my own input.

Protection? From what? I wear some covering garment that covers my gun most of the time, so there is little that can get to my gun.

But for social carry, I want the hammer and trigger readily accessible. When my hand grips the gun butt, my trigger finger and thumb just naturally fall into place on the trigger and hammer spur.

Bob Wright

bogus bill

Hunter
I had a bunch but when I was put on hospice last november I gave them all away along with my
gun collection to my daughter and son in law. I thought death was imminent. Now I wish I had waited
. Stuff like this!
https://postimg.cc/4HXftMd2

Bob; that is some really nice looking leather there. Since I only use a holster when I am outside my backward State I just cobble a couple together for my LCP II.
For the belt use:
ItL6UEbl.jpg

Inside the pocket:

6r42y4Hl.jpg

Bob Wright

Hawkeye
Kevin said:
I love the tooled holster by Graveyard Jack in the top picture............... Are they all traditional holster styles, or have the different makers sort of created their own style?

As to traditional style, Graveyard Jack offers the Tom Threepersons style, pretty close to the original. I contacted Craig and said I wanted a modified Tom Threepersons style, to have an open toe, and no retention device. This was the result:

I ordered a second specifying I wanted a slight "S" curve to the back seam and this was the result:

Bob Wright

Bob:
Here are some of my holsters. My favorite is the one on the right. It's the Cattleman's holster from Simply Rugged. The one on the top is from Ruger, that's a 6 1/2 inch single six inside. The little tiny semi auto is a Kimber 9mm EVO. The holster is an inside the waste band. And I'm left handed, so they are all left handed except the little Bearcat's holster. The flap holster holds a Bearcat and was made by Ruben up in Alaska. I wish he still made holsters. I remember when I bought that from him, I think it took him the better part of a year to make it for me. :D But he's a good guy, so it didn't bother me at all.

I know they aren't the more traditional Western holsters like yours.

Do you order your holsters lined? None of these are, and I really hate to use them, I just don't want to wear the finish off the guns. Right now, they are just really rough on the inside. And the flap holster has a brass post but on the inside it's just covered with a little patch, and unfortunately that patch is starting to come off. So I have to be very careful not to scratch the gun when I insert it or pull it out. There is a Bearcat in the holster in this picture.

and that's my kitchen counter for the background...
OCmW2Sil.jpg

Bob Wright

Hawkeye
Thanks for posting! Like the stags on the Bearcat.

No, none of my holsters are lined, as I prefer no lining on mine.

Bob Wright

Jeepnik

Hawkeye
I have a number of custom holsters. But, I don't go in for a lot of ornamentation. This is the fanciest one I have.
nXW3JSv.jpg

I had matching leather for my 1895 GS to complete the package.
RvyHwmo.jpg

In fact the only one I have that has a lot of ornamentation is a Simply Rugged
rEXyzZ0.jpg

Latest posts