Geting gun for my wife..i have question

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Pro_Angler

Bearcat
She really likes the SR9 cause of the narrow grip even though she has big hands (for a girl). i am reading a great deal of problems with the SR9 leading me to believe it is a $480 POs? The other gun we are looking at id the XD9. What do you think?
She is going into the AZ DOC and needs to learn to shoot and have some protection if im not around.

Edirty692

Bearcat
Hey Pro_Angler welcome to the forum. My wife shoots my SR9 at the range and seems to like the feel well. She also has big hands (for a girl) Don't know much about the XD9 maybe someone else does, but for protection she will be fine. Just my opinion. As far as problems, haven't had any with my SR9. I've had about 1000 rounds through it without a problem. I guess i'm lucky are there's not as many problems as everyone thinks. Hope you find the right gun for her.

jhearne

Buckeye
Hey Pro_Angler, welcome, no need to post the same stuff in a handful of threads man. The SR9 can have some issues, mainly the peening and trigger reset problem. BUT those problems aren't as frequent as the internet makes them seem. Any other issues are more sporadic if anything. It's a good gun, but just make sure she can rack the slide. Most women can have some trouble with the strong lockup and stiff spring of the SR9. I haven't been able to shoot my SR9 as much as I'd like, but it's still 100% reliable, zero flaws or failures to report. Many other SR9 owners can report the same thing as I have. $480 is pretty high though, locally at Academy here in TX a Stainless SR9 runs about $450, I paid $433 OTD a while back.

I know a few people who like their XD's and XDm's, though I haven't shot one. I like the way the XDm looks but the XD feels better to me. For ergonomics though the SR9 gets the nod IMO. Good luck with the search, a good revolver wouldn't hurt either, several members here can give better advice on them as I'm no wheelgun guy.

Josh

rrent

Bearcat
I own and shoot an XD9 and XDM9 --the M is most likely a little more accurate, but cost more.

that being said --I wouldn't shy away from the SR9 due to preceived problems ---I have had no problems with mine, sent it back for recall and liked the trigger better after the "fix".

If you get a change to rent both XD and SR9 --I bet our wife will prefer the slim grip of the SR9......

But what do I know my wife fell in love with a Walther P99 and uses it as her carry/range gun.....

tookalisten

Blackhawk
My wife likes the SR9 and I have had no issues with it. Price was $439; but I lucked out and bought it at my local gun store on "customer appreciation day" and got a 10% discount.

Mike J

Hunter
I don't have any experience with the SR-9 so I can't post anything about it. I have an XD-40 & use it for my carry pistol. It is accurate & has ran with no malfunctions for somewhere between 2500 & 3000 rounds (I haven't kept up with the count like I should have). If you would like to research the XD you can go to www.XDTalk.com/ I spend more time here than there because I like the folks here better but it's a good forum.
I don't think I'd mind having an SR-9. I just don't really know anything about them other than what I have read here. I agree with what rrent said about if there is some way you could rent both. Also you might check around someone here posted a link a while back to an online FFL that had them for like 369.00 if I remember right. You might be able to save some money buying online.

Mike J

Hunter
Pro_Angler if you decide you want a SR-9 check out this link www.hoffgun.com/specials.htm This is over 100 dollars cheaper-of course you would still have to pay shipping & transfer fees. But from what I understand buying off the net should save you sales tax. I'd investigate & figure it both ways if I wanted that pistol.

kscott

Single-Sixer
From my personal experiences with my SR9, I wouldn't think twice about recommending it to others. I love it and haven't had a single hiccup with it.

Rhino

Bearcat
I would also recommend the SR9, mine also has not had a single malfunction of any kind.

No peening, no FTF's or FTE's, no trigger reset problems Nada! :) 1000+ rds.

Some will say the trigger is crap, but from my own experience the trigger smoothed out quite a bit after approx 500 rds and is a non issue for me.

The SR9 is very accurate and for the money I think its a great value
JMHO.

YMMV!!!!

Pro_Angler":10jugqx0 said:
She really likes the SR9 cause of the narrow grip even though she has big hands (for a girl). i am reading a great deal of problems with the SR9 leading me to believe it is a $480 POs? The other gun we are looking at id the XD9. What do you think?
She is going into the AZ DOC and needs to learn to shoot and have some protection if im not around.

I'm in the EXACT situation at the moment. Cant decide weather to get a Ruger or a Springfield XD.

GaryT

Bearcat
If my opinion helps, I sold an XDM and bought another SR9. I had sold the SR9 I previously owned, looking for that "perfection" that had eluded me. I like the Smith & Wesson M&P, the XD and XDMs are OK, hate the Glock, and finally came back to the SR9. For me the grip size and angle are dang near perfect, the trigger is better than any of the others, except maybe the XDM, and for me the gun just shoots better. I've not (so far anyway) had any of the problems others have reported. I do not hesitate to recommend the SR9.

OldNavy

Single-Sixer
I would most strongly recommend that she have a chance to actually fire examples of the pistols/revolvers that are being considered and then let her make the choice. For a defensive weapon to right, she has to have confidence in her ability to handle it. Lacking that confidence, no weapon--regardless of quality, reputation, or caliber--is a good choice.

Once a selection is made, focus on getting her to put a minimum of 500 rounds through it in order for her to build that confidence level. That's 500 rounds with her doing all of the loading/unloading/making safe/etc. You can be a gentleman and clean it for her between practice sessions, but after it is cleaned, have her load it and store it in the designated "ready access" location. SHE has to KNOW that she can use it and that it is ready to go when needed.

Sorry, I didn't mean to preach. Living with a wife and an adult daughter has made me very sensitive to this subject. My daughter is ready. The wife is a work in progress--and has been so for almost 40 years.

ArmedinAZ

Buckeye
OldNavy":2bpusv91 said:
I would most strongly recommend that she have a chance to actually fire examples of the pistols/revolvers that are being considered and then let her make the choice. For a defensive weapon to right, she has to have confidence in her ability to handle it. .

Good advise. My wife shoots other semi autos just fine but gets some stovepipes with the SR9. With factory ammo when I shoot the casings fall just outside and ahead of my right shoe...not a terribly strong eject.

gatorhugger

Blackhawk
Personally, small hands, weak fingers, I would get her a Glock 19.
Not that there is anything inheritantly wrong with the SR9 or even a Sigma, both fit small hands well, but the trigger pulls are heavier than the Glock.