Gave my Garmin XERO C1 Pro Chronograph a workout today.

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Cholo

Staff member
This thing's great! :) I tried it out with my backyard sniper rifle .22 while checking the zero. The CCI 22LR 40 grain Quiets advertise 710 fps and I averaged 692 fps. Okay, that's pretty boring, but I really wanted to see what my 32 Mag. was doing as well as my 44 Special.

I'm using an '85 .32 6 1/2" Single Six shooting a 100 gr. SWC and I have SWAG'd it at 1,150 fps but was hoping for 1,200. I was pleasantly surprised it averaged 1,174 fps. These are not powder coated bullets. I've loaded it hotter and will try it again so it should break 1,200 fps. It's just so darn fun to shoot that I just can't see going much hotter than that. My '75 6 1/2" Single Six .22LR averaged 1,090 with Rem. Golden Bullets HP's. The 32 Mag. is just so much more fun to shoot!

Now for my 4 5/8" 3 screw OM .357 converted to 44 Special. I've heard 900 fps to 1,000 fps with the famous 7.5 grs of Unique and a 240 gr. FB Keith SWC. I actually enjoy shooting my 44 Specials with 6.5 grs of Unique. Anyway, I averaged 996 fps out of that particular gun. Should I go to 7.6 grs of Unique to hit the magical 1,000 fps? Naaa...

I know a $600 +tax chronograph is not in most budgets. I can live pretty cheap so most of my $ goes into motorcycles and guns. It might scratch an itch to have someone else let you use theirs. I'll bring mine to contender's RF meet in October if anybody wants to use it; contender has one, too.

Fun day at the range, though I wish it had been cooler with less humidity. I'll just wipe them down good :)

NikA

Buckeye
I don't have the latest gadget, but I did upgrade from a Shooting Chrony to LabRadar this year and it made a huge difference in my willingness to set up to collect data. Would highly recommend a Doppler chronograph to folks that are comfortable with using computer-enabled devices. On the plus side, the LabRadar I bought used was half the price of a new kit, and there are folks selling them in good usable condition to buy the latest and greatest.

contender

Ruger Guru
NikA,, I had looked at the LabRadar a good bit over the last few years. I'm seriously glad I waited & got the Garmin. I'm not saying the LabRadar isn't a good device,, but I have seen a lot of them go up for sale,, be given away, AND heard some of the complaints.
I can agree that it's a big step up from the Shooting Chrony,, as I've had several friends who had those. I won one of them years ago at a match,, and sold it still NIB.

NikA

Buckeye
NikA,, I had looked at the LabRadar a good bit over the last few years. I'm seriously glad I waited & got the Garmin. I'm not saying the LabRadar isn't a good device,, but I have seen a lot of them go up for sale,, be given away, AND heard some of the complaints.
I can agree that it's a big step up from the Shooting Chrony,, as I've had several friends who had those. I won one of them years ago at a match,, and sold it still NIB.
I think you misunderstood my point. LabRadar and the new Garmin Xero work on the same principle, Doppler radar return from the projectile. Chronographs operating on this principle seem to be far superior to previous options, but they do require significant computer electronics onboard. Provided one doesn't have a problem with interacting with such devices, I highly recommend them (regardless of model) because they are SO much more informative and easier to set up than other chronograph technologies.

contender

Ruger Guru
My apologies,, I did misunderstand your posting.

I had the Garmin out again today. I had a couple of visitors who wanted to enjoy serious shooting w/o restrictions.

Loved the way it tracked the different loads & guns.

How close does it have to sit? I watched YouTube videos and it is very impressive. I have 2 Chronys. Green case. One I shot with Mini 14. Still works. The other one got too close to a Ruger 5.7. Too much blast.

contender

Ruger Guru
Placement of the Garmin is shown on the screen prior to shooting. You select the type of firearm (or bow or airgun etc) then it'll sell you where to place it. But Cholo is correct. So far,, all I've used is the rifle or pistol set-ups,, and 5"-15" is the standard. But NOT out in front of the muzzle.

I used mine again today. Still working on some loads for my DIL.

The more I use it,, the more I like it.

Rock185

Bearcat
I've been really pleased with my Garmin. I've found exact placement is not critical. Only time it does not pick up a shot is when I've accidently bumped it to point off into the wild blue yonder somewhere..

Latest posts