Gas Theft

Help Support Ruger Forum:

contender

Ruger Guru
Many dogs are kept in places for security. Yes, they are "outside" all the time,, but they are also well taken care of by having a good dog house, food & water etc.

It's only in recent times that people feel dogs should be kept inside homes. But many "country folks" still keep dogs outside, all the time. It does NOT mean they do not have proper care.
I know several bear hunters that there is no way they could keep their pack of dogs inside a home. But those dogs are VERY WELL taken care of. Some of them cost more than many vehicles, and are prized by their owners.

Gas theft? Most thieves want fast & easy targets to hit, with the best return. A lot depends upon where you live, and how hard you make it for a potential thief.

jlmtr6

Bearcat
Back in my youth (60 years ago) my stepfather took the family to the neighborhood theater to see a movie. After parking and as we walked away from the car, I noticed that not only did he not lock the doors, he left the keys in the ignition switch. When I reminded him that he left his keys in the car. he offhandedly said, "They can have it." And we went in to see the show leaving the Corvair to fend for itself.
After the movie we returned to the parking space only to find.................yes, you guessed it.....................someone had stolen the keys.

Snake Pleskin

Hunter
Many dogs are kept in places for security. Yes, they are "outside" all the time,, but they are also well taken care of by having a good dog house, food & water etc.

It's only in recent times that people feel dogs should be kept inside homes. But many "country folks" still keep dogs outside, all the time. It does NOT mean they do not have proper care.
I know several bear hunters that there is no way they could keep their pack of dogs inside a home. But those dogs are VERY WELL taken care of. Some of them cost more than many vehicles, and are prized by their owners.

Gas theft? Most thieves want fast & easy targets to hit, with the best return. A lot depends upon where you live, and how hard you make it for a potential thief.
It also does not mean the dogs get proper care either. I also see the "abuse" that many dogs suffer from their owners, left out side in the 100+ degree heat. Dog house, LOL, useless...I lived in AZ for 13 yrs...You do not keep your dog outside! Here in the "red neck" style of chaining a dog in the yard is still prevalent, in the dirt, heat and garbage that is in many yards here. I personally call animal control on every one I see.

powder smoke

Hawkeye
It also does not mean the dogs get proper care either. I also see the "abuse" that many dogs suffer from their owners, left out side in the 100+ degree heat. Dog house, LOL, useless...I lived in AZ for 13 yrs...You do not keep your dog outside! Here in the "red neck" style of chaining a dog in the yard is still prevalent, in the dirt, heat and garbage that is in many yards here. I personally call animal control on every one I see.
Contender is absolutely correct! If you are serious about watch dogs anyone who has dogs takes decent care of them. I have had dogs my entire life they are awesome. I take very good care of my animals I count on them.
I call tell you in all honesty I like dogs more than some people! Dogs need shelter clean water at all times and
naturally food and a good veterinarian! I love my dogs more than some people!

Snake Pleskin

Hunter
Contender is absolutely correct! If you are serious about watch dogs anyone who has dogs takes decent care of them. I have had dogs my entire life they are awesome. I take very good care of my animals I count on them.
I call tell you in all honesty I like dogs more than some people! Dogs need shelter clean water at all times and
naturally food and a good veterinarian! I love my dogs more than some people!
I agree. But how many peole are truly "serious". The old saying holds true, "the more people I know, the more I like my dog!

contender

Ruger Guru
I agree that abuse of dogs (or cats) is wrong.

But what about the people who live in hot climates, and yet, they want a dog breed that's more suited to a colder climate,, say Husky's? They may keep the dogs inside in an A/C building etc,, but if they go outside,, the heat can be abusive.

There are all forms of animal abuse,, and just because a dog is chained outside,, or lives in a pen outside, etc is not abuse. It's the conditions that dictate abuse. In Az with 100+ degrees of heat,, combined with a Husky breed,, not a good way to keep an animal. But even there,, for security or hunting dogs,, many are kept outside,, but are provided with proper shelter & care.

We here on the Ruger Forum have a longtime friend, and spokesperson for Sturm, Ruger & Co. She lives in south Az, along the border, is a rancher & hunter, as well as a hunting guide. Her family keeps hunting dogs for their mountain lion hunts.
I know their hunting dogs do not live inside their home. BUT,,,they do have a proper kennel & care.
And dogs used for such purposes,, need to be acclimated to the environment they work in.

But this thread has strayed well away from it's initial discussion. So, back to discussing gas thefts.
Gated areas,, cameras, locked indoor facilities, guard dogs, metal plates under tanks etc, armed security people, are but a few things that can protect property. Thieves can & will find the weak, easy to hit places. They want a quick turnaround. They do not want to work hard at anything. (If they did, they'd have regular jobs.)
Hitting parked RV's with large tanks, especially in places not too secure is an "easy" target.

Sadly,, as long as there's a profit to be made, for little effort,, thieves can & will exploit such things. Gas is an untraceable item, so if they get away w/o being caught,, little can be done.

Snake Pleskin

Hunter
I agree that abuse of dogs (or cats) is wrong.

But what about the people who live in hot climates, and yet, they want a dog breed that's more suited to a colder climate,, say Husky's? They may keep the dogs inside in an A/C building etc,, but if they go outside,, the heat can be abusive.

There are all forms of animal abuse,, and just because a dog is chained outside,, or lives in a pen outside, etc is not abuse. It's the conditions that dictate abuse. In Az with 100+ degrees of heat,, combined with a Husky breed,, not a good way to keep an animal. But even there,, for security or hunting dogs,, many are kept outside,, but are provided with proper shelter & care.

We here on the Ruger Forum have a longtime friend, and spokesperson for Sturm, Ruger & Co. She lives in south Az, along the border, is a rancher & hunter, as well as a hunting guide. Her family keeps hunting dogs for their mountain lion hunts.
I know their hunting dogs do not live inside their home. BUT,,,they do have a proper kennel & care.
And dogs used for such purposes,, need to be acclimated to the environment they work in.

But this thread has strayed well away from it's initial discussion. So, back to discussing gas thefts.
Gated areas,, cameras, locked indoor facilities, guard dogs, metal plates under tanks etc, armed security people, are but a few things that can protect property. Thieves can & will find the weak, easy to hit places. They want a quick turnaround. They do not want to work hard at anything. (If they did, they'd have regular jobs.)
Hitting parked RV's with large tanks, especially in places not too secure is an "easy" target.

Sadly,, as long as there's a profit to be made, for little effort,, thieves can & will exploit such things. Gas is an untraceable item, so if they get away w/o being caught,, little can be done.
I agree with your post.

Thieves will go after anything easy. I can't tell you how many security covers and locking heavy doors I've built for construction equipment over the years. A few year back they were stealing AC compressors, built maybe 20-25 "cages" over a 18 month span. Made one for a small "stop and rob" store
in a bad neighborhood out of 3/4 round bar, 1/2in. thick 3in. angle, 1/2 thick anchor plates and wrapped with heavy expanded mesh. Had a small crawl
in man door with a "hockey puck" lock. The thing weighed about 3500 lbs. I guess it was cheaper than to keep buying new AC units.
To sorta come back on topic I can see gas theft will become a thing if the prices keep climbing.

Biggfoot44

Blackhawk
Gasoline from regular vehicles is small time . Draining heating oil tanks of hundreds of gallons at a time is big time .

ronto

Single-Sixer
I just put up a "Beware Of The Dog" at the entrance to my driveway even though my dog is an inside dog. He does have good ears and he can hear a vehicle coming a 1/4 mile away. I'm glad I live on a dead end road other wise I'd be looking out the window every minute to see who's coming down the road.:)

Snake Pleskin

Hunter
If Gas continues and stays this high, I would agree that many will decide it is OK for them to steal from others. People can rationalize anything! Some people just like being a criminal. Short hours, high pay, relatively low risk. It is what it is (IMHO)

protoolman

Hunter
Farm dogs are well treated here. They run loose and are very smart. They will find there own shelter and often go in the pond drink from the water tank and lie in the cool dirt. I agree they should not be kenneled without shade water etc. But outside dogs can be just as good as inside ones.
I think gas theft is going to get out of hand fast with plastic gas tanks.

powder smoke

Hawkeye
Gasoline from regular vehicles is small time . Draining heating oil tanks of hundreds of gallons at a time is big time .
Our Heating oil tank is in the basement of our house 275 gallons, I suppose someone could put a hose down the
filler or the vent and pump the oil out! I never ever heard of that happening in these parts. Besides some one is
here 90% of the time! ps

Mobuck

Hawkeye
"Our Heating oil tank is in the basement of our house"
This used to be quite common in the area where I ran the Standard Oil 'tank wagon' back in the early 70's. The 'oil furnace' had replaced a coal furnace and often access to the fuel oil tank was through the repurposed coal chute and since there was no direct outdoor access to the basement, the delivery person had to make 2-3 trips through the house to accomplish the delivery which in winter was an onerous task. But, by golly no one was going to steal the furnace oil(another name for the heavy high sulfur #2 grade fuel--not to be confused with #1 'heater oil' which was a thinner, lighter grade product).

wolfsong

Staff member
The secret to not having your RV drained of fuel is simple, for me. The trick? Don't own one!!! After the initial impulse buy and the maiden voyage cross country trip to see the world, it gets parked next to the boat you just had to have. And they get used less than that in-ground swimming pool in the backyard that you just couldn't live without. The combined costs of the registrations, insurance, maintenance and upkeep of these "gotta haves" costs the same amount as your mortgage!!!

Rent an RV when you feel the urge, make friends with someone who owns a pool, and get out in that boat and do more fishing 🙃!