Gas Theft

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Jeepnik

Hawkeye
I know it has started, but all the attempts by vehicle manufacturers to prevent syphoning have only resulted greater cost to the vehicle owner.

Neighbor down the street has a large motorhome. He keeps it in "secure" storage when not in use. He could park it on the street but is considerate of his neighbors. Well he went to get it out of storage for an upcoming trip. Lo and behold the tank is empty. As in bone dry. He checked his locking gas cap, still intact. Then he looked underneath. Yep big ole hole in his tank. But it gets worse, the A%%HOLES also drilled his freshwater tank.

So, instead of being out a few hundred bucks for gas he is out, literally, thousands of dollars for the replacement of the tanks. Oh, and the managment of the "secure" storage says their contract states they are not responsible for damage or theft from the vehicles. Less his deductible he will get a few bucks back but I'm sure the lion's share will come out of his pocket.

The message here folks is if you have an unattended vehicle, even in secure storage, check you contract. His plan now is to park it on the street with a solar powered WiFi camera on the street side. His house camera will cover that side. It got the rest of us thinking about that. If a neighbor across the streets camera doesn't catch it, our would be blind.

I put a skid plate over my cats to stop theives. Looks like I now need one on the gas tank. This on a 2WD pickup that will never see anything but pavement.

ronto

Single-Sixer
Oh, and the managment of the "secure" storage says their contract states they are not responsible for damage or theft from the vehicles.
This is a typical "exculpatory clause" found on a parking garage ticket. You can beat it by claiming "gross negligence" on the part of the management claiming it is a "secure storage facility". How can the thief drill holes under the vehicle and not be noticed. Your neighbor should sue them in small claims court or district court if the damages exceed the limit of small claims. Also sue for his legal expenses if applicable. Odds are their insurance company will try to settle out of court. If they do nothing, silence gives consent.

Last edited:
Part of our business is outdoor RV storage. We make no claims as to security other than a fence and locked gates. Our contract specifically states
we do not provide security or insurance, all pretty typical. Would think most owners of decent RVs have some kind of insurance on them if they cared.
Adding this... about 15 years ago we had our fence cut and a construction trailer had the locks cut off, that owner sued us. We went to court, showed
police report and pictures of the fence and a signed copy of our storage agreement. Judge spent about one minute reading the contract before dismissing the case and eating the plaintiff's attorney a new one.
This was in Michigan.

Last edited:

ronto

Single-Sixer
Part of our business is outdoor RV storage. We make no claims as to security other than a fence and locked gates. Our contract specifically states
we do not provide security or insurance, all pretty typical. Would think most owners of decent RVs have some kind of insurance on them if they cared.
Adding this... about 15 years ago we had our fence cut and a construction trailer had the locks cut off, that owner sued us. We went to court, showed
police report and pictures of the fence and a signed copy of our storage agreement. Judge spent about one minute reading the contract before dismissing the case and eating the plaintiff's attorney a new one.
This was in Michigan.
An RV owner may as well park on the street for free. A fence and a gate isn't going to stop a thief.:)

An RV owner may as well park on the street for free. A fence and a gate isn't going to stop a thief.:)
Most owners don't seem too concerned about security. Around here for the most part you can't park in the street, some areas have ordnances about
where they can be parked on the owners property and a lot of people just don't want them taking up space in their driveways. If they really wanted "security" they would be spending the money to build their own garages or paying for more secure indoor storage vs. basically a field with 6 foot chain link fence. It's basically just a parking space, you make the choice and pay accordingly.

Jeepnik

Hawkeye
Sign on storage facility. “Safe and secure storage”. “24 hour access”. “Attendant on duty”

Turns out it isn’t safe and secure. Off hours access requires 24 hour advance notice. And no one is on site after hours. If nothing else the owner should be arrested for the lies told.

ronto

Single-Sixer
Sign on storage facility. “Safe and secure storage”. “24 hour access”. “Attendant on duty”

Turns out it isn’t safe and secure. Off hours access requires 24 hour advance notice. And no one is on site after hours. If nothing else the owner should be arrested for the lies told.
Your neighbor has a good case...sue the SOB!

vito

Hunter
Yes, unfortunately that is the sop for criminals.

Criminals can come and kill your dog, rob your home, and if caught will likely get probation or less. In most states a dog is just property, and the market value of a beloved pet is pretty close to zero. Yet if a homeowner sets up secure "boobytraps" to stop the criminals, he is one who will be arrested and likely serve serious jail time.

FWIW, I keep my travel trailer (which of course has no gasoline) in a self storage area since I was threatened by the city where I live that I would be fined if I kept it in the parking area off the street but in front of my home (turns out the city code allows for RV on personal property behind or on the side of one's home, but not between the home and the street, even if set back behind trees and about 40 feet of grass from the street itself). I was initially concerned about vandalism or theft of the trailer itself but so far no problems at all. I guess that there are nicer targets in the same facility, i.e., new motor homes, boats on trailers, big 5th wheel trailers, etc. for any thief to bother with my little 19 foot travel trailer.

Snake Pleskin

Hunter
Criminals can come and kill your dog, rob your home, and if caught will likely get probation or less. In most states a dog is just property, and the market value of a beloved pet is pretty close to zero. Yet if a homeowner sets up secure "boobytraps" to stop the criminals, he is one who will be arrested and likely serve serious jail time.

FWIW, I keep my travel trailer (which of course has no gasoline) in a self storage area since I was threatened by the city where I live that I would be fined if I kept it in the parking area off the street but in front of my home (turns out the city code allows for RV on personal property behind or on the side of one's home, but not between the home and the street, even if set back behind trees and about 40 feet of grass from the street itself). I was initially concerned about vandalism or theft of the trailer itself but so far no problems at all. I guess that there are nicer targets in the same facility, i.e., new motor homes, boats on trailers, big 5th wheel trailers, etc. for any thief to bother with my little 19 foot travel trailer.
It is sad that so much time and energy has to be spent on protecting your own property and family. Liberals just do not seem to see how bad things really are preferring to focus on the easy target, the low hanging fruit of emotional, feel good gun control laws. I have a small enclosed trailer, 8x12 or so, that I keep in an area that is allowed in our development.(HOA nazis) I have locks on the ball and a "boot" on each wheel. So far so good, but anyone who is really determined can get a battery powered diamond saw or grinder and cut through just about anything in a few mins.

tunnug

Single-Sixer
Back in the late 70's early 80's I worked with someone that had property out in the sticks, when he was ready to build a house and had material delivered he was afraid someone would steal it so he decided to take his dog and do a long tie out so he could protect the material.
Back then the Doberman was the dog to have and his was a large beautiful example, so he takes it out when the material is delivered one weekend, comes back to start work a few days later and someone had come out and stole the dog and left the material alone, he was not happy with what happened though everyone else laughed about it.

Snake Pleskin

Hunter
Back in the late 70's early 80's I worked with someone that had property out in the sticks, when he was ready to build a house and had material delivered he was afraid someone would steal it so he decided to take his dog and do a long tie out so he could protect the material.
Back then the Doberman was the dog to have and his was a large beautiful example, so he takes it out when the material is delivered one weekend, comes back to start work a few days later and someone had come out and stole the dog and left the material alone, he was not happy with what happened though everyone else laughed about it.
Reminds me of a friend of mine who thought he was so smart when he bought a hardened chain & lock and chained his Harley to a large tree in the front yard. He came home from work and the bike was gone. Yup , they cut down the tree!

Jeepnik

Hawkeye
Many moons ago I was taught a simple truth. You just have to make it harder to steal your stuff than your neighbors do.

The skid plate I put over my truck cats could be sawn off. But the time and noise would exponentially increase the chances of getting caught. Now the cat thieves don’t fear arrest or prosecution here. The DA won’t prosecute, but that’s another story.

What they do fear is getting caught by an angry truck owner. There are lots if Tacomas in my area without and protection so it’s very unlikely they’d go after mine.

Mobuck

Hawkeye
"So, hopefully you do not leave the dog out all day & night in the weather & heat, like some people do.?!"
Meaning what??

Latest posts