Garrette Cartridge adds .45 Colt and .454 Casull 5 New Loads

Help Support Ruger Forum:

gunsbam69

Hunter
Ashley just sent me a Word Doc copy of the load data sheets for the new .45 Colt and .454 Casull loadings he's added to the Garrett Hammerhead line of Cartridges he's taken over from Randy Garrett. He's spent the last year load testing himself, and traveling the span of the continental United States delivering these various loadings to the major revolver builders and friends in the handgun hunting world for their testing. We had a fun shoot out in Cody this year with several boxes each of all the new loadings along. Hamilton Bowen, Jerry Moran, Lee Jurras, Gary Reeder, John Linebaugh and many more were on hand to give them a try, and I heard nothing but praise. I've been in on the testing from the get go, and have fallen in love with the 405 at 1200 FPS from a 5 hole Bisley. It's a heck of a lot of power in a very managable package. The same load in the 4.2" Redhawk that was one of several used for load testing is an awesome, and affordable setup for bear defense, or just a packable pig gun. The 365 is a plenty for that purpose though. Running the 1350 and 1500 FPS loads in .454 from a 7.5 FA messed me all up. Now I want an octagon 7.5 FA. The 265 grain load he's developed for the S&W and Colt/USFA revolvers is the real sweetheart of the bunch though. Here's an article John Taffin wrote about his hunt with the 365 in .454 last year.

http://americanhandgunner.com/dream-hunt/