Galloway Precision SR9c Holster and Mag Holster Review

Help Support Ruger Forum:

kscott

Single-Sixer
First off, I would like to apologize to Eric for this taking so long. I ran into a lot of internet service problems recently and haven't been able to get this up when I wanted to. Hopefully, the internet is fixed for good now, so on with the review.

Eric has been a pleasure to deal with. He has always responded quickly to questions I've had. I'm sure his customer service is top notch because I know he is very passionate about his product line. His website, www.gallowayprecision.com shows other products that many of you may also be interested in.

Eric sent me two products made by Dale Fricke of www.dalefrickeholsters.com, an SR9c IWB holster
HolsterIntro.jpg

and a horizontal magazine holster for the SR9/c.
MagHolsterIntro.jpg

These holsters are both very well made from Kydex. When I first looked at the pistol holster, I was admittedly a little skeptical about the edges of the kydex digging into my "love handles," but the edges are rounded off very well, and don't dig into me at all. Eric did say that he carries in the appendix position, and that was what he had in mind for this holster, but I couldn't quite get comfortable with appendix carry. This has very little to do with the holster though, and more to do with my adequate belly. :oops:

The snaps on the pistol holster were also of a concern because I've not had good luck with heavy duty snaps in the past, but these snaps seem very well made and hold very well. I carried in this rig for the better part of four weeks, and haven't had a single issue with them. In fact, it took me a few minutes when I first got the holster to be able to pop them off and on quickly, but now it's a breeze. He sent me a few sets of different sized straps to make sure it fit my belt. The straps held the pistol in place, and I never had an issue with it slipping or sliding out of place. The retention was perfect for me out of the box, but it does have a couple of adjustment screws if you like more or less retention.

When I first began wearing the new rig, the pistol felt like it rode a little high, but I believe this is because I normally carry very low. After a few hours of wearing it, it became natural and did not bug me at all, in fact I came to really like where it rode on my hip.

The mag holster was also very well constructed of kydex, with well rounded edges that never dig or scratch anything. Again, the retention out of the box was perfect for my personal taste, but it also has an adjustment screw for those who like more or less retention. I had never carried with a horizontal mag holster. I had only carried with a vertical mag holster, so it took a little time to get good with the horizontal holster, but it is far superior in comfort to a vertical holster when CC'ing an extra mag, particularly for my body type (adequately sized love handles). It rides tight to the belt and requires a slightly modified grip from what I'm used to, but once I practiced with it, it became just as easy and honestly faster than my draw from my vertical holster. I attribute this to the fact that it needs to rotate fewer degrees to be lined up with the grip of my pistol. I carry my 17 round full-size (with grip extension) in it, but the 10 round SR9c magazine also fits perfectly.

They both carry very well. I never encountered any issues in the 4 weeks I carried. Even though they have only been carried for 4 weeks, they look nearly identical to the day I received them. They don't look any worse for the wear.

In conclusion, I would highly recommend Eric as someone to do business with , whether it be for performance SR9/c parts, holsters, or anything else, and I also believe the SR9c holster and mag carrier to be a very well made, tough, comfortable, and functional set up that will keep your SR9c concealed and in the right position should the time come for you to defend yourself or your family. If you have any questions, feel free to ask. Hopefully our internet issues have been put to rest, and I'll be able to stay up to date on this thread. ENJOY!!

Other pics...
PistolandHolster2.jpg

PistolandHolster1.jpg

Pistol in holster
quartershot.jpg

Sideshot.jpg

Mag holster
magholstersideshot.jpg

Gripping both the pistol and spare mag
Drawingholsterandmag.jpg

Performing a reload to show that mag does not have to rotate very much to be in line with the pistol grip. (All pictures of me were taken with a tripod and timer, so no one was being swept by the muzzle.)
magreload.jpg

CC'd under my really awesome Dallas Cowboys shirt!! (Yes I know they're not going to the playoffs, but how many rings does your franchise have?) (No comments from Steelers fans)
CCarmsout.jpg

Showing it concealed with a little "Abbey Road" walk (I was also barefoot)
CCBeattleswalk.jpg

I normally wear an overshirt, so I wanted to show it concealed this way also
CCovershirt.jpg

Drawing pistol from under overshirt.
DrawfromCCovershirt.jpg

Verndog

Blackhawk
kscott said:
Also, to Eric...
If there is anything else you'd like me to comment on that I missed, feel free to ask.

I'll bite. I do like the looks and how it's setup but have to ask. Is it worth the $90.00 asking price considering the other options out there? To be honest if it was $50.00-60.00 I'd give it a try, but for $90.00 to buy online without being able to "check it out live" is a stretch...at least for me.

kscott

Single-Sixer
Verndog,
The price is one thing I was a little shocked by. There's no doubt that is a very nice holster that is top notch in quality. I wish I was better equipped to answer your question, but I'm not very well versed in many of the cheaper holster options in this category. Hopefully Eric will swing in and explain why the price is what it is. I have no doubt you'd be happy with it, but I definitely understand not wanting to let go of 90 bucks without knowing you were gonna love it.

BTW, your avatar has always given me the heebie jeebies. All sorts of freaks me out. Haha.

Yawn

Blackhawk
kscott said:
Verndog,

BTW, your avatar has always given me the heebie jeebies. All sorts of freaks me out. Haha.

I actually have to admit that I have rarely spent as much time looking at avatars as much as I have his... and I watched those stupid penquins he had, over and over!

Egalloway

Single-Sixer
Thanks for the review Kscott. Been looking forward to the input. Glad to hear its pleased you and really appreciate the kind words and time you put in. Hard to imagine carrying a spare mag vertical now isn't it?
As for the question of price keep in mind these are hand made one at a time from sheets of kydex. All the material is sourced from the US and made to order, I stock a few of each though. Dale Fricke is a true craftsman and a really great all around man. Holsters have been an issue for me since I started shooting. Go cheap and you get cheap performance. So once I found injected Kydex holsters with all the benefits over leather and nylon I was sold, then I found Dale's holsters and haven't looked by yet. For a self defense holster you can't beat kydex or his holsters.
Anyways if anyone has any questions contact me.
Thanks again kscott