GA-36 Low Back on gunbroker.com

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Terry T

Buckeye
Just spotted another GA-36 Low Back on Gunbroker.com, # 163870526. I do believe the box is incorrect unless it proves to be a very late shipped gun.

This means that I no longer have the only one known - now there's two!
Terry T

Terry T

Buckeye
Ser. no. is only 63 higher than mine.
If it were consecutive, I'd be in serious trouble.

This may be the highest ser. no. low back known.
Terry T

Ruger1nut

Blackhawk
Ok boys...help out a East Coast rifle guy out with some double action edumacation.

What is a "low back"??
anything like baby got back??

Dave

Terry T

Buckeye
The profile of the grip frame on the Six Series double actions was changed about the time the first 100,000 guns were produced. Therefore guns with the 150- prefix usually have the old grip frame and prefix 151- and later have the high back grip frame. Cut over was not 'clean' at a certain ser. no.

The low back grip frame exposes more of the base of the hammer and has less of a curve to it where the web of one's hand would be on the grip back strap.

Compare the grip frame on this gun with the grip frame on most of the other guns listed and I think you will see the difference. There is a 6" blued low back also listed but they are more common. Stainless production started about half way or 3/4 of the way through the first 100K guns so the stainless low backs are a bit "rare'.

Hope this helps,
Terry T

T.A. WORKMAN

Hunter
Here you go. Note grips.

Type I Frame Gun SS-82 (Low Back)

HPIM1718.jpg

HPIM1717.jpg

Type II Frame Gun SS-82 (High Back)

HPIM1964.jpg

HPIM1966.jpg

This shows it better! Sorry the actual gun pics were not good enough.

sec.jpg

Terry

chet15

Hawkeye
What a neat gun that GA36 low back is!!
One of the keys to a collection.

On the same note, anybody ever seen a GF series low back stainless Service-Six? Been thinking somebody should have come up with one of those in the last 35 years, but none seen yet.
Chet15

Terry T

Buckeye
We could speculate that there were a couple of thousand but they were bought by a police agency who destroyed them after their service life was over. :twisted:

I'm looking for the 1 or 2 that escaped out into the wild. :shock:
:D

Do we have examples of a low back GS (Speed Six)?
Terry T

rugerrat

Single-Sixer
Terry T":36t4d0m9 said:
Just spotted another GA-36 Low Back on Gunbroker.com, # 163870526. I do believe the box is incorrect unless it proves to be a very late shipped gun.

This means that I no longer have the only one known - now there's two!
Terry T

Terry T:

That box is definately not correct for that GA-36T because there wasn't a "Big Grip" offered on the old frame(Low back)guns. I first saw the "Big Grip" in 1978-79 in a Gun Magazine where they were testing a new Heavy Barrel Security-Six and this new "Big Grip" was indicated as such in the title of this article. The main point in the article was regarding the newly offered "Big Grip" and how much more effectively it had controlled recoil compared to the standard Security-Six grips!

Terry T

Buckeye
Congratulations Bob!

Glad to see it 'stay in the family' of Ruger Forum collectors.

By the way, you validated the price I paid for mine a year ago. :D
Terry T

RugerLiberty's

Single-Sixer
If anyone is still looking for a stainless Security Six, you can see one on gunbroker, item 164866509. It is a Liberty model but it looks to just have a generic yellow box with it.